Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

O-Line Rebuild - Adam Peters Style

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-02-2024, 09:14 AM   #1
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

O-Line Rebuild - Adam Peters Style

A welcomed series of events happened yesterday in the first significant step Peters has taken to shape this football team…the March 1st massacre.

Cut:

LT Charles Leno
C Nick Gates
TE Logan Thomas

Calculated and signals a primary focus for this new front office - fix the O-Line.

Charles, Lucas, Larsen are free agents. Thanks for your service and wish you well in your future endeavors

It’s time to operate like a normal NFL franchise and gather some real talent. With 9 draft picks and needs all over I would expect a couple picks thrown at the Oline but expect several free agents signings.

You want to draft a QB then you absolutely can’t do what they did to Sam Howell which was play him behind a bottom 5 Oline in the league.

I really hope we go after a high end experienced anchor at Center in free agency. I’d also add an experienced Tackle on a short deal. There is a solid crop of left guards with the connections to front office guys. TE is weak in the draft, I see a couple guys in free agent who can help and unlike Logan Thomas, they can block.

If the move is rookie QB next year then you do the right thing and put him behind a sturdy, experienced Oline.

What’s your plan? Who you trying to bring in?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-02-2024, 10:08 AM   #2
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Re: O-Line Rebuild - Adam Peters Style

My plan would be firstly see what the Bears do leading up to the draft. If they ship Fields, we know that Williams is the likely target (or at least the top rated QB by that time given his stock can only seem to go down from here). That informs your decision on the #2 pick. If May and Daniels don't make you wet yourself, you have to consider trading down and probably building a line for a QB next year, else if they do, you have to build an OL now.

If the Cowboys don't re-sign/tag Smith, I strongly consider him. Yeah he's 33, but if he can give you 1-2 good years and you can't pick up a starting tackle in the draft, there's always next year with a solid vet in place. Then there's Onwenu who's got good flexibility and is young. I'd also look at Williams and Eluemunor at RT. But ideally I draft a starting LT, which is why I think they'll trade back up into the 1st to grab their guy or use the 2nd rd pick if a good talent is there.

For TE, I'd pursue Shultz and/or Henry, maybe Fant. It's not a rich FA crop so beggars can't be choosers. With so many holes on the OL to fill, same at LB and likely drafting a QB with the #2, I just don't see how we can afford to use a pick on a TE. Unless a guy drops in our laps.

I'm thinking WR, CB and S in FA. If not a 3-4 years starter, 1 years rentals to fill the need until the next draft. A lot hangs on what they think they can get out of Forbes, and whetehr they re-sign Curl. I certainly wouldn't pick a WR.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 12:31 PM   #3
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Here's my plan. New players in bold.

They must start building the O-line through the draft this year. I think it's more likely they use two draft picks for the O-line, but it's not out of the question that they would use three - depending on trade-backs. But to get through 2024, they will also have to bring in a few free agents.

I'd like to see Connor Williams get a 3-4 year deal, and maybe a 1-year deal for Smith to either hold down the LT spot or be the swing tackle if they hit on a rookie LT in rounds 2 or 3. Dalton Risner is more than serviceable and wouldn't break the bank. He could compete with Paul, Charles, and Brooks for the L Guard spot.

Tyron Smith / (rookie)
Dalton Risner / (Chris Paul)
Connor Williams / (Ricky Stromberg)
Samuel Cosmi / (Mason Brooks)
rookie / (Andrew Wylie)

Swing tackle would be Andrew Wylie, a rookie, or potentially T Smith.

It's a start... continue building through the draft next year.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 01:35 PM   #4
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post

They must start building the O-line through the draft this year. I think it's more likely they use two draft picks for the O-line, but it's not out of the question that they would use three - depending on trade-backs. But to get through 2024, they will also have to bring in a few free agents.

I'd like to see Connor Williams get a 3-4 year deal, and maybe a 1-year deal for Smith to either hold down the LT spot or be the swing tackle if they hit on a rookie LT in rounds 2 or 3. Dalton Risner is more than serviceable and wouldn't break the bank. He could compete with Paul, Charles, and Brooks for the L Guard spot.

Tyron Smith / (rookie)
rookie / (Andrew Wylie)

Lil worried about Conner coming injury, but like it

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 01:38 PM   #5
davy
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by
[B
Swing tackle would be Andrew Wylie[/B], a rookie, or potentially T Smith.

Swinging from a rope hopefully.

I can tolerate him as a guard but I don't want him anywhere near a tackle spot.
Old 03-02-2024, 03:03 PM   #6
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:

Tyron Smith / (rookie)
rookie / (Andrew Wylie)

I wouldn't want Wylie any where near a Tackle position, as they would have saved more by cutting him than Gates have to assume he is staying here, but LG or swing OG is his best place ( actually staying in the locker room would be his best position )
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 04:31 PM   #7
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Love the moves they made - thanks for everything Logan Thomas and Leno and his wifey seem like stand-up people. But it's the nature of the beast.

I gotta assume Adam Peters watched all the film from last year and immediately started putting up names on his cut/restructure board. Hopefully more to come.

I expect us to be active in free agency signing affordable veterans for o-line positions because we can't draft an entire new o-line when only Cosmi deserves to stay.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:33 PM   #8
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
I wouldn't want Wylie any where near a Tackle position, as they would have saved more by cutting him than Gates have to assume he is staying here, but LG or swing OG is his best place ( actually staying in the locker room would be his best position )
Maybe the new staff can get more out of Wylie. If he's the swing tackle, I think I'd be ok with that. He can play Guard too if necessary.

Not sure we have a ton of options at Tackle, losing Lucas & Leno. Probably can't completely rebuild the O-line to our liking in one offseason.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:30 PM   #9
jamf
Pro Bowl

Wylie gets man handled more than Riley Reid.
I’m not giving a liability a chance with a rookie QB.
No upside here.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 09:36 PM   #10
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I still don't trust the new o-line coach. They need to have top talent because he won't make mediocre talent better.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 05:57 PM   #11
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I don't not trust the new o-line coach. He'll fall in line with what they want to do on offense, and lucky for him he's almost certainly going to get some new and improved talent to work with. My guess is Anthony Lynn, Brian Johnson, and of course Kliff will have a lot of say in what transpires with the o-line.
Old 03-04-2024, 06:00 PM   #12
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
Wylie gets man handled more than Riley Reid.
I’m not giving a liability a chance with a rookie QB.
No upside here.
LOL, I had to look up who Riley Reid was... good one!
Old 03-04-2024, 10:42 PM   #13
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
I don't not trust the new o-line coach. He'll fall in line with what they want to do on offense, and lucky for him he's almost certainly going to get some new and improved talent to work with. My guess is Anthony Lynn, Brian Johnson, and of course Kliff will have a lot of say in what transpires with the o-line.
I think the only guy on that that you listed that I trust for sure is Anthony Lynn I don't trust Kliff and I don't trust the former Giants line coach they were worse than ours with the same or better talent . I don't know anything about Brian Johnson.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 11:30 PM   #14
OnceWeWereKings
The Starter

Quote:
LOL, I had to look up who Riley Reid was... good one!
I envy that this was your first search for her. I remember the first time I looked her up. Best 2 minutes of googling ever.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:45 AM   #15
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I love everyone suggesting Tyron Smith, but you can only count on the guy for maybe half the games in a season. GREAT player, but you have to have some contingency (rookie?) to come in on the random games he misses.