Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What happens with Kyle Smith?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-29-2021, 03:15 PM   #256
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Re: What happens with Kyle Smith?

And in case people doubt who ran the last 3 drafts, read Ben Standing twitter quotes on this link.

https://sports.yahoo.com/reports-kyl...183618094.html

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-29-2021, 03:19 PM   #257
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Maybe or maybe not, but ATL didn't upgrade his position, that says something about all the fuss and commotion on this site. There were several GM/FO jobs that could have netted him a promotion, but at least as far as was publicized, he wasn't a candidate at any of those spots.
It's fuss and commotion because he was the rare diamond to come out of this coal mine of shit that we've lived in for the last 30 years.

Is it possible he's just too young to be considered for a full GM role? Doesn't mean he won't be one someday.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:26 PM   #258
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
It's fuss and commotion because he was the rare diamond to come out of this coal mine of shit that we've lived in for the last 30 years.

Is it possible he's just too young to be considered for a full GM role? Doesn't mean he won't be one someday.
Well I disagree about the "rarity" of him, because we have fed the league a dozen diamond in the roughs. But, no one in the league is seeing him as GM material so I don't want us promoting someone out of their ability. Mayhew has demonstrated that he can run professional football organizations, and that's what the WFT needs. I don't wish him ill, in fact I hope he succeeds. Just seems like this fanbase wants change but not THAT change.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 03:30 PM   #259
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Well I disagree about the "rarity" of him, because we have fed the league a dozen diamond in the roughs. But, no one in the league is seeing him as GM material so I don't want us promoting someone out of their ability. Mayhew has demonstrated that he can run professional football organizations, and that's what the WFT needs. I don't wish him ill, in fact I hope he succeeds. Just seems like this fanbase wants change but not THAT change.
Kyle needs to wash away the stain of Bruce Allen from him. Atlanta will give him that opportunity it seems. I wish him the best.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 03:31 PM   #260
MTK
\m/

Everyone that worked under Bruce is now gone. That shouldn't be seen as a bad thing ultimately.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:54 PM   #261
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Sad to see Kyle go but these things happen when there's change. Obviously Ron and Kyle did not mesh well but there's nothing wrong with that. Ron had full control from the owner. Since he is accountable to Dan then he has the right to bring in the guys that he will work best with. But we are losing a good one, no doubt about that. Not ready to call Smith a savior but he is good at his job..
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:00 PM   #262
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Laugh all you want, watch their draft vs ours, that will tell you. He also took 3 scouts with him.
Kyle has hit on some and missed on some. He isn't waving a magic wan.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:04 PM   #263
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

F*ck Kyle Smith and the bird he flew out on. Go Team!
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:07 PM   #264
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Kyle has hit on some and missed on some. He isn't waving a magic wan.
Everybody hits on some and misses on some. In baseball, getting a hit 3 times out of 10 consistently is considered elite.

Even the best ones in our league still miss. Doesn't mean they aren't good at their jobs. The best ones just hit more than they miss.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:08 PM   #265
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Kyle needs to wash away the stain of Bruce Allen from him. Atlanta will give him that opportunity it seems. I wish him the best.
This

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:08 PM   #266
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
I meant more in the FO sense. We've had some young coaching talent leave but Kyle Smith is the rare young FO talent to move on.

+1 obviously I'm hoping Mayhew and Hurney work out.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:57 PM   #267
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Everybody hits on some and misses on some. In baseball, getting a hit 3 times out of 10 consistently is considered elite.

Even the best ones in our league still miss. Doesn't mean they aren't good at their jobs. The best ones just hit more than they miss.
The last 2 drafts by Washington have been the NFL’s best, some of our 4th rounders like Charles and AGG will pan out next year.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:32 PM   #268
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
The last 2 drafts by Washington have been the NFL’s best, some of our 4th rounders like Charles and AGG will pan out next year.
I like Kyle Smith too, but saying a guy should count as a draft success before they've panned out isn't helping his case.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:10 PM   #269
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
AGG is too slow and can't get off the line. Charles can't stay on the field. Not ready to write off both but what we have seen so far isn't promising.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:24 PM   #270
Scalper

Quote:
You bring up an interesting point. Is the GM primarily administrator, or talent evaluator? Both. Skilled administrators are not hard to find. Skilled talent evaluators are. Mayhew's record of talent acquisition and evaluation is mediocre, neither great nor horrible. None of us were in the room, so we can't know how much Smith has ultimately been responsible for talent we have, but those who were in the building such as Shanny say he is very, very sharp.

I hate letting Smith walk and bringing in Hurney and Mayhew, but this is not as obvious as say the need to draft a QB and not trade for one. We had about a third of the young guru coaches in the league in our building, but didn't have the sense to keep any. Only time will tell if we made same mistake with Smith, but if Atlanta is stacked with talent in two years, and our drafts look mediocre, we'll know. It is telling that it took Smith less than a week to find a new job.

If we are evaluating Smith fairly, however, we must give him credit for our DL and gems like McLaurin, Gibson, Curl, etc., but also some of the gaping holes at WR, TE, etc. He gets a pass on QB because THE DAN meddled, forcing Haskins on him, as well as the albatross contract of Smith, who while a feel good story has never won anything. We can only wonder where we would be if Smith had been free to not trade for Smith nor draft Haskins, but rather had been allowed to pick the QBs he scouted as being the best. THE DAN'S meddling is just insane, burdens us with $20M+ Smith cap hit after trading our best young corner and a 3rd, plus wastes another 1st on Haskins. Plus if we had kept and resigned Fuller, we would have had an additional comp pick.

We can never know, but I think this hire comes down to two things: (1) Smith wanted to take a more long-term draft oriented approach, and Riviera like all coaches except a few has to be concerned about short-term production to keep his job. Developing a non-top-tier QB over 1-2 years is not how new coaches keep their job. Case study in why GM should be above coach in hierarchy. (2) Given THE DAN'S meddling and overall history of organization, RR wants people who are emphatically loyal to him.

It would have been interesting to see who Smith would have drafted for us at QB this year if given latitude to build the right way, but we'll never know. . .
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote