Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

With the 19th Pick, the WFT selects....

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-29-2021, 10:48 PM   #211
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: With the 19th Pick, the WFT selects....

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
We got a LB that can fucking cover a TE!!!!
Your enthusiasm on this pick sold me.

We have a stud LB now, and his whole family's and or friend's picks, also sold me. He wants to dominate. And Riverboat loves his LBs.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-29-2021, 11:21 PM   #212
Scalper

Jamin Davis @#19 Grade

Jamin Davis - B

First, this was a pick for need, not BPA. That is not a sound long-term philosophy. Davis is generally regarded as late 1st to early 2nd round pick by most pundits, in the 25-45 range, but would not have been there when we pick in 2nd. There has been much talk about RR wanting his Kuechly, and he reached to take him. That being said, though we have gaping holes at FS and QB and LT in terms of long term solutions, LB as a group is weakest position on roster. Not anymore.

Darrisaw is a beast run blocking, but some questions about how elite his pass blocking, passing on him not absurd, he could end up being just a very good RT. JOK probably highest rated player on some boards, along with Darrisaw, but he is undersized for LB in NFL. There are outliers who make it undersized, but they are outliers. Some other RBs, DL, edge rushers available might have also been BPA, depending on how you grade them. People will say Moehrig, he is a great balanced S, but not the true center fielder we need, and not as elite a natural athlete as Davis. Everyone is bigger faster pros, you want a true center fielder FS, that is not Meohrig, who may not be quite the swiss army knife in pros he was in college. Again nothing wrong being balanced S, but that is not what you need in today's NFL which is a passing league.

Every year we see half the ratings and predictions of the pundits wrong. Half the guys they had rated high blow, and guys they rated lower are studs. Grading drafts immediately thus a bit frivolous, but hey, we are fans. Davis is almost as athletic as JOK and can do it ALL at LB, without being egregiously undersized. Davis is a truly elite athlete, and thus not an indefensible reach for need. He also has some very good physical measurables like long arms. He could very well end up being a stud that undervalued by the pundits. He is the type of elite athlete you should be targeting with first round pick. It is very defensible to choose the more elite athlete over a guy like Darrisaw who there are some athleticism concerns about in terms of pass blocking.

Davis has limited sample size of solid production, gets by on raw athleticism, and does not have great natural instincts for the position. Some players never develop these things, some will with coaching and experience. Impossible to predict which Davis is. He will be a solid above average LB, though still better than the other 6 JAGS already on our roster, if the light doesn't come on, a total stud if it does. You would ideally like more consistent long-term production, and better instincts, but then he isn't sitting there at #19.

He is also a player you can resign end of rookie deal, because it is not like we have a glut of talent or tons of money invested in position, as with say CB or WR or G.

I don't hate this pick, I don't love it. It is mediocre, a good pick but not great pick, deserving of a solid B grade. It is a player with monster athleticism, but also some questions, and FO clearly looked more at the ceiling than the floor. Nothing wrong with this as long as you are right, LOL. Barring injury, Davis will start, and we now have a thumper who can roam sideline to sideline if need be. You would think he starts in the middle and becomes the thumper we desperately need, but if we pick a less athletic MLB later he could move outside, and he is athletic enough to play virtually any LB position. Our D is MUCH better today.

Now that we went D with 1st rounder, might as well draft a true center fielder FS and another LB with one of next 4 picks, and build a Hulk Smash kind of D. Hell, a FS and two more LBs and a CB. With other picks being LT,RB,TE,QB. Oh wait, we don't have that many picks, LOL. Kidding aside, a FS, another LB, a CB, and one more LB and FS next year, and D looking stout.

My stone cold certain to be wrong prediction (I do one every year with that name) that Niners take Lance was right, LOL. They probably see him as second coming of Mahomes, and in all the talk about running QBs and all that BS, people forget that the primary job of QB is to throw the ball. Lance has most arm talent of anyone in draft, and natural deep ball accuracy. He'll be able to lose a third his arm strength as he ages and still have a cannon. Doesn't mean he won't bust, but Shanny swung for the fences, choosing the prospect with most upside and highest ceiling, but also biggest chance of busting. Shanny obviously believes he can coach up and develop Lance and maximize his natural talent. We'll see, but one of more interesting picks of draft, trading that much on such a project. Goes to show how much valuations of even pro scouts differ, and how most pundits don't know shit.

The most important thing about this pick, from immediate POV, is it isn't an absolute horrible whiff. It isn't a C or D grade. Davis will contribute immediately and start. He is better than any LB on our roster. We are better. What he looks like compared to other options forsaken, in terms of opportunity cost, in 3 years, is anyone's guess. We have historically missed on TONS of 1st and 2nd round picks. If you hit on those consistently, you are very talented. So the trend is still arcing upward. I personally like taking the more athletic player with more upside, so long as no injury or character problems, than the more proven player with lower ceiling. This was a need pick with a dash of BPA added.

Final note, Cowboys took Parsons. Think of all the problems they've had with criminal players over years. Jerruh never learns. You don't win drafting sociopaths and criminals. I hope he is immortal and lives to be 1,000, because Dallas will never win a SB while he meddles. Almost as bad as having THE DAN, who is much younger, LOL.

Later peeps.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:30 PM   #213
mredskins
MVP

How can someone possibly type that much about anything
Old 04-29-2021, 11:31 PM   #214
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

RR “ he’s a football player “ lmao I love Ron
Old 04-29-2021, 11:35 PM   #215
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Also “we thought about moving up for a QB but we are remaining patient”
Ron
Old 04-29-2021, 11:37 PM   #216
EdmundDorf
The Starter

JP Finlay
@JPFinlayNBCS
·
7m
Rivera and Mayhew says Jamin Davis was the top rated defensive player on their draft board
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:38 PM   #217
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
How can someone possibly type that much about anything
Voice recognition. :-)
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 12:11 AM   #218
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
JP Finlay

@JPFinlayNBCS

·

7m

Rivera and Mayhew says Jamin Davis was the top rated defensive player on their draft board
If RR and JDR can't evaluate and get the right LB, then we are screwed. They had their choice of every LB except Parsons and Collins yet they chose Davis. I accept their decision until proven wrong.

Their track record - Urlacher, Lewis, Kuechly AND playing abilities carry far more weight to me then analysts and fan board GM's.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 12:17 AM   #219
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
If RR and JDR can't evaluate and get the right LB, then we are screwed. They had their choice of every LB except Parsons and they chose Davis. I accept their decision until proven wrong.

Their track record - Urlacher, Lewis, Kuechly
AND playing abilities carry far more weight to me then analysts and fan board GM's.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Totally agree
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:23 AM   #220
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

We all knew they wanted LB at that spot. Not the one I was expecting but no need to doubt the move. The guy sounds solid.

Now lets move up in the second round nabbed Moehrig and make this a three tiered defensive unit.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:45 AM   #221
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
Voice recognition. :-)
Now I picture you as Timmy from South Park sitting in a wheel chair dictating large blocks of useless text into a mic while sipping your dinner through a giant straw trying to keep your bib clean.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:27 AM   #222
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Our defense is going to wreck teams.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:52 AM   #223
GridIron26
Playmaker

Nice summary of the interview with Rivera and Mayhew on Davis. I love it when Rivera said Davis spoke about his team more than himself in the pre-draft interview, I think that says a lot about his characters.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:04 AM   #224
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

RR is huge on Military backgrounds so this pick makes perfect sense..

Character guy that has big potential
Old 04-30-2021, 08:07 AM   #225
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

81.6 Defensive grade last yr.

He was a flash in the pan on D like Wilson was on O for BYU