Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Black Monday 2022 thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-04-2022, 10:56 AM   #181
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: Black Monday 2022 thread

The Rooney Rule is fucking stupid.

Force teams to interview someone they don't want to hire for the job, then call the interview a sham. Most of them probably are shams, but not always due to racism. I'd wager it's more than often that teams know who they want already and unless something went completely south in that process, that person was getting the job. I believe that's the case with Daboll as it relates to the Giants.

A sham rule will get sham results. Get rid of it.

If teams are too stupid to hire non-white candidates due to racism then that's their problem for limiting their options to find great coaches. Being racist makes your team less competitive on top of being wrong.

Note - I'm not talking about the situation with Flores and any teams involved specifically, this rule has been stupid since its inception. Imo it's patronizing AT BEST to minority candidates.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-05-2022, 08:47 AM   #182
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
That should be easy enough to verify. I still hope they are found in violation and have to pay a fine because:
A. It's the Giants
B. I hate the Giants
F. Mara
I feel the love , I really do!!!
Old 02-05-2022, 11:23 AM   #183
TheGuyFromOverThere
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
The way I read the reporting, while he's named the Giants, Dolphins and Broncos in the suit, he's not suing all for racism directly. He's suing the NFL saying the Rooney Rule is a sham and thereby racist. He's suing the teams for bad faith; Giants interview was apparently post offering Daboll the job, making his interview a sham, the Broncos for interviewing him because they had to (they apparently didn't take the interview seriously by turning up hungover etc.) and the Dolphins case seems more like malfeasance than racism.

Could just be my interpretation of the news stories though.
I´m not sure that interviewing Person B after offering the job to Person A makes it a sham.

When I was in a team leading position I regularly interviewed people even after sending out an offer to somebody else. Just in case the first candidate didn´t take our offer so we had a backup plan.

Just like when I looked for jobs I had multiple interviews even after being offered a job by a company I interviewed with before.
TheGuyFromOverThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 11:56 AM   #184
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Depends on the context of the interview, but I generally agree. I mean, if you interview and get told you have every chance of getting the job, then find out they'd already offered it, I'd say it was a sham or at least bad faith; if they seriously thought you were a contender before the interview they'd have held back the other offer.

And this is the NFL not ACME manufacturing. They know there's a massive spotlight on HC positions, so it doesn't make sense to me to make an offer without telling later candidates that's the case, because you should know that it might get out and make you look unprofessional. Or worse.

In this case it's going to be a question of establishing the factual timeline (BB's text isn't proof of anything beyond word of mouth). I don't know whether offering Daboll and then interviewing Flores (if that is the true timeline) would constitute an illegal act, but at best it doesn't reflect well on the Giants. But whatever, I think he's going to have a hard time showing it was racism, if that is his claim against the Giants.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:39 PM   #185
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

The 49ers are about to receive 2 3rd rounders cause McDaniel was hired by the Dolphins (he’s biracial) that’s 4 3rd rounders for them (Saleh last year).

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/d...e-coordinator/

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:51 PM   #186
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
The 49ers are about to receive 2 3rd rounders cause McDaniel was hired by the Dolphins (he’s biracial) that’s 4 3rd rounders for them (Saleh last year).

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/d...e-coordinator/
Shanny tree growing…O’Connell and McDaniel.

Flores probably cringing a bit. L

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 05:58 PM   #187
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...xt-head-coach/

You fire Culley who did a decent job and hire Lovie Smith? JFC…completely irrational management. They hired Lovie Smith over Flores?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 06:03 PM   #188
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I feel the love , I really do!!!
Have nothing but love for you. It is your team and their owner I don't like!
Old 02-07-2022, 07:10 PM   #189
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post

You fire Culley who did a decent job and hire Lovie Smith? JFC…completely irrational management. They hired Lovie Smith over Flores?
And people wonder why Watson wants out of Houston (besides getting away from the suits).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:27 PM   #190
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post

Terrible terrible hire. Flores is such a good coach.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:37 AM   #191
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Seriously? Smith took the Bears to the Super Bowl?
Old 02-09-2022, 09:40 AM   #192
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Giants hired Martindale as the DC , very happy with that. Bad part is he is bringing Rob Ryan with him...that long haired fat POS!
Old 02-09-2022, 11:37 AM   #193
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...?ocid=msedgntp

Flores’ attorneys Douglas H. Wigdor and John Elefterakis released the following statement in response to Smith being hired over their client, according to CBS Sports:

Mr. Flores is happy to hear that the Texans have hired a Black head coach, Lovie Smith, as Mr. Flores’ goal in bringing his case is to provide real opportunities for Black and minority candidates to be considered for coaching and executive positions within the NFL. However, we would be remiss not to mention that Mr. Flores was one of three finalists for the Texans’ head coach position and, after a great interview and mutual interest, it is obvious that the only reason Mr. Flores was not selected was his decision to stand up against racial inequality across the NFL.

Do Flores’ attorneys really think this is a wise strategy to help their client? Do they really think attacking the Texans for hiring a different black coach is a wise idea?

It seems very stupid, especially when there’s no proof on the table other than their own perceptions of the situation.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:33 PM   #194
AnonEmouse
The Starter

You don't think maybe Goodell leaned on the Texans to take a black HC to head off just such a reaction/undermine the case?
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 01:36 PM   #195
Meks
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...?ocid=msedgntp

Flores’ attorneys Douglas H. Wigdor and John Elefterakis released the following statement in response to Smith being hired over their client, according to CBS Sports:

Mr. Flores is happy to hear that the Texans have hired a Black head coach, Lovie Smith, as Mr. Flores’ goal in bringing his case is to provide real opportunities for Black and minority candidates to be considered for coaching and executive positions within the NFL. However, we would be remiss not to mention that Mr. Flores was one of three finalists for the Texans’ head coach position and, after a great interview and mutual interest, it is obvious that the only reason Mr. Flores was not selected was his decision to stand up against racial inequality across the NFL.

Do Flores’ attorneys really think this is a wise strategy to help their client? Do they really think attacking the Texans for hiring a different black coach is a wise idea?

It seems very stupid, especially when there’s no proof on the table other than their own perceptions of the situation.
The guy was already on the staff.......... ppl are dumb.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote