Washington Football Team Defense 2021

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-31-2021, 05:40 PM   #76
sevier2
Impact Rookie

Re: Washington Football Team Defense 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
If the QB 1s went down in the NFCE, I think we’d see less of a drop off than the other teams - not that I’d want to see that.
Our depth, including at QB, is much stronger now than in seasons past.

It's nice to know a single injury shouldn't knock out an entire position for us.

Advertisements
Old 05-31-2021, 08:22 PM   #77
DYoungJelly
The Starter

https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/5/31/...g-to-get-scary

Idk about the quality of the opinion in the article, but Warren Sharp whose work serves as the foundation is on the cutting edge of analytics. The premise passes the eye test.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:43 PM   #78
MissouriSkin
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post

Idk about the quality of the opinion in the article, but Warren Sharp whose work serves as the foundation is on the cutting edge of analytics. The premise passes the eye test.
It’s nice to have folks with a plan.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:12 AM   #79
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevier2 View Post
Our depth, including at QB, is much stronger now than in seasons past.

It's nice to know a single injury shouldn't knock out an entire position for us.
I'd rather Heinecke start than Fitz, as he is only QB on roster any hope of being long term answer. That being said, Flacco is a very solid backup for Iggles, which even though older, is a SB winning QB. He is hands down the best #2 in division.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:23 AM   #80
Scalper

Quote:

I love playing more man and moving towards man DBs. Tough to find great man CBs and DBs though, hope we have. Allows you to be super aggressive pass rushing. Richard Sherman (the antithesis of a man CB) is average at best without a HOF FS behind him, versus more Darrell Green type CBs.

I'm not sure I buy that Juste a man CB, especially deeper, but let's hope he is.

FO is clearly reworking roster gradually, DBs, OL, WR, to make it in the mold they want. I expect the same at RB and LB much more next year, and secondary as well, in the draft. We desperately need a home-run threat RB.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:35 AM   #81
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:

I found the author's conclusion to be very exciting: "Looking at the raw numbers, it was pretty difficult to see how Washington’s defense could get much better from 2020 to 2021, but examining their offseason moves, it appears that Ron Rivera and Jack Del Rio believe they’ve found a pretty dramatic way to do just that - lock down the backside of the defense by bringing in the personnel to be far more aggressive in the secondary, which should have ripple effects throughout the rest of the defense. They now have the talent to move away from defense focused on 'containing the damage' to one that can actively work on inflicting it on opposing offenses."
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:11 AM   #82
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
I love playing more man and moving towards man DBs. Tough to find great man CBs and DBs though, hope we have. Allows you to be super aggressive pass rushing. Richard Sherman (the antithesis of a man CB) is average at best without a HOF FS behind him, versus more Darrell Green type CBs.

I'm not sure I buy that Juste a man CB, especially deeper, but let's hope he is.

FO is clearly reworking roster gradually, DBs, OL, WR, to make it in the mold they want. I expect the same at RB and LB much more next year, and secondary as well, in the draft. We desperately need a home-run threat RB.
Are you saying that Gibson isn't the guy?
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:14 AM   #83
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:

I like and agree with the article, although I don't believe we will switch to man to man 100% next season. I think we will mix it up evenly. It's not going to be easy to contain mobile QBs with the man to man defense.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:39 AM   #84
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
I like and agree with the article, although I don't believe we will switch to man to man 100% next season. I think we will mix it up evenly. It's not going to be easy to contain mobile QBs with the man to man defense.
Does any team in the NFL do it ? I don't think you can go 100% man, you have to keep the offense guessing a minimum, and in some situations man can be quite risky, IMO even in a man heavy system, you have to wrinkle in some zone.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:01 AM   #85
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Does any team in the NFL do it ? I don't think you can go 100% man, you have to keep the offense guessing a minimum, and in some situations man can be quite risky, IMO even in a man heavy system, you have to wrinkle in some zone.
Just a guess but you probably are not running too much man in 3rd and 20 situations.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:08 AM   #86
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Sorry I didn't explain it clearly, I meant we are not going to go 180 degree with the defense - we ran zone cover 62% of time last year (according to the article) and I don't think we will go with man to man coverage 60% or more next year.
We play Hurts, Prescott, Rodgers, Jones, Allen, Herbert and Mahomes this year and all those QBs can run. Although we could try to counter this challenge by using Curl or Collins as a spy to try contain those QBs.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:30 AM   #87
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
Sorry I didn't explain it clearly, I meant we are not going to go 180 degree with the defense - we ran zone cover 62% of time last year (according to the article) and I don't think we will go with man to man coverage 60% or more next year.
We play Hurts, Prescott, Rodgers, Jones, Allen, Herbert and Mahomes this year and all those QBs can run. Although we could try to counter this challenge by using Curl or Collins as a spy to try contain those QBs.
Good point.
And on top of those we play many very good QBs that we'll have to keep guessing a minimum. Otherwise the likes of Brady, Wilson and Ryan will have a lot of fun identifying good man to man match ups pre snaps...
Old 06-01-2021, 10:48 AM   #88
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post

Gibson ran a 4.39 what more do you want in a homerun threat??
Old 06-01-2021, 10:58 AM   #89
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Gibson ran a 4.39 what more do you want in a homerun threat??
With a more credible/reliable passing game and a year under his belt, I'm looking forward to Gibson's sophomore outing.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:31 PM   #90
Monkeydad
Living Legend