Deshaun Watson
in 2020.

10+ yards in the air.
96/145 (66%) - 1,699 yards - 15 Tds - 3 Ints

20+ yards in the air.
33/67 (49%) - 1,094 yards - 11 Tds - 3 Ints

Career best 91.2 Passing grade

All without a #1 WR...
And no RBs. Watson had a great year and yet his team had a terrible year. This is a great example of cautionary tale - just because a team has a franchise QB, it does not mean it will solve all other problems in the team. This pretty much reinforces my stance on how WFT should look for a QB this offseason and future. We have multiple needs all over the team, we should not spend a lot of our resources (i.e., trading up into top 5 to draft a QB) just to select a QB who might or might not become a franchise QB. Instead, we must focus on strengthening multiple positions to create a strong team that will not depend on one position to win games.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:16 AM   #33
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Around the NFL: Wildcard Week edition

Cap penalty for Watson is too great to trade him this coming year. Not gonna work

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:37 AM   #34
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Cap penalty is big but trading team could bare some of that which would mean less draft picks..... if you think about it Watson is the only thing they have. No draft picks, no cap space and holes all over the roster. It could take 2-3 years to get them back to competive during which time they will have been paying him $40m a year. Might be wiser to trade him and get enough picks to build the team around, if they do trade him they will probably be picking first next year and will have the pick of the QBs ..... just a thought
EdmundDorf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:46 AM   #35
SkinsGuru
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyFromOverThere View Post
The time, they´re a-changing.
seven monkeys reference?
SkinsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:49 AM   #36
SkinsGuru
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Cap penalty for Watson is too great to trade him this coming year. Not gonna work
if he really wants our he could offer to restructure his current deal in a way that would make him tradable . . . of course he and the Texans would have to be willing.
SkinsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:09 AM   #37
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
And no RBs. Watson had a great year and yet his team had a terrible year. This is a great example of cautionary tale - just because a team has a franchise QB, it does not mean it will solve all other problems in the team. This pretty much reinforces my stance on how WFT should look for a QB this offseason and future. We have multiple needs all over the team, we should not spend a lot of our resources (i.e., trading up into top 5 to draft a QB) just to select a QB who might or might not become a franchise QB. Instead, we must focus on strengthening multiple positions to create a strong team that will not depend on one position to win games.
I agree in principle with not risking it all on trading up. But QB is that one position where without someone at least above average then the rest of the team will suffer regardless. We can't go chasing the dream without real good intelligence, but likewise we can't go another year without an at least above average QB. Were AS 100% healthy he's definitely above average, but he's not 100% healthy and likely won't be ever again (at least not in football terms).

If we don't draft a top QB (or at least a good potential day 1 starter) we MUST get a good FA acquisition to bridge the gap until a) we can bring this years QB pick along to starter level or b) we can get a starter in the '22 draft. Since Smith went down we've had 3 years of average QB play and the offense has stagnated. We have to improve at QB one way or the other this offseason, else we risk stunting the development of guys like McLaurin and Gibson, and missing the window on guys like Thomas. Not to mention, the ability to sign/re-sign/develop top OL who will want to play for a good QB. Then there's the matter of drafting and/or getting top WR's in FA. Giving up too much in trade to get a QB pick weakens our ability to get top WR's in the draft, but it's a balance with getting FA receivers like OL; they will want someone capable to get them the ball.

Can't say I have a solution, but if the staff are sure that Fields, or Wilson (or AN Other) is the guy the want and it warrants trading up, then I think we have to trust they know what they are doing. I honestly don't see them going that way as I believe last years caution will prevail and we'll be sensible (and/or KS pulls off a wonder draft and we get our guy while everyone is looking the other way).
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:14 AM   #38
MTK
\m/

They can live with the cap hit if they got a monster haul in return, the cap hit wouldn't stop them from dealing him if they really wanted to.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:22 AM   #39
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

As much as I love Watson, 100% chance of a bidding war. Pass.

Didn't we learn anything from RG3? I know Watson is proven, but let's say (god forbid) Watson has an Alex Smith-type injury or something else happens and he's not the player he used to be. We would be screwed for multiple years all over again. Pass. That's without even mentioning what happens if we give up the haul and for whatever reason Watson doesn't work out (improbable, but not impossible). Pass.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:23 AM   #40
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

Also, Watson has a "no trade" clause in his contract...so he'd have to WANT to come to us as well.
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:11 PM   #41
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

As would everyone else, I would love to see Watson in the WFT uniform, but it's nothing more than a pipe dream.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:18 PM   #42
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

The Cowboys will interview Falcons secondary coach Joe Whitt for their defensive coordinator job.

Whitt was on Mike McCarthy's staff in Green Bay. He spent last year as Atlanta's defensive pass game coordinator, where the Falcons ranked dead last in pass defense, allowing a league-high 293.6 yards per game. Whitt is a longtime defensive backs coach and "trusted assistant" of McCarthy who could replace Mike Nolan in Dallas.

Please make this hire happen

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:14 PM   #43
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
The Cowboys will interview Falcons secondary coach Joe Whitt for their defensive coordinator job.

Whitt was on Mike McCarthy's staff in Green Bay. He spent last year as Atlanta's defensive pass game coordinator, where the Falcons ranked dead last in pass defense, allowing a league-high 293.6 yards per game. Whitt is a longtime defensive backs coach and "trusted assistant" of McCarthy who could replace Mike Nolan in Dallas.

Please make this hire happen
We can always dream.

Come on Mike McCarthy, do the right thing and hire your friends instead of qualified candidates.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:33 PM   #44
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Who am I rooting for?

Colts @ Bills: Bills
Rams @ Seahawks: indifferent
Bucs @ WFT: Duh
Ravens @ Titans: Titans
Bears @ Saints: Saints
Browns @ Steelers: Browns

Who do I think will win?