Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

All things Middle East related

Debating with the enemy

Old 01-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Re: All things Middle East related

Turkey, WTF?!?

On Friday, January 11, a Turkish citizen took a picture to show exactly how belligerent Turkey has become. The picture is of a huge poster with the words, “Who Would You Like to Meet if You Could?” and the last name, and only photograph, is of Adolf Hitler. The other choices include Suleiman I, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, Napolean Bonaparte, the Beatles, Elvis Presley, Vladimir Lenin, Boris Yeltsin, Leonardo Da Vinci, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Michael Jackson. But only Hitler warranted a picture, a huge one at that.

Schwarzenegger? Dafuq?!? Oh, and that other Austrian....
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
That Guy
Living Legend

that's pretty random. we have lots of people in the US that think hilter is a role model, so you might as well throw USA, wtf? in there too.

some people have poor taste, some poor judgement, and some are just idiots. I mean, i think that's pretty weird and wrong, but i think that stuff happens in a lot of places, not just turkey.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
that's pretty random. we have lots of people in the US that think hilter is a role model, so you might as well throw USA, wtf? in there too.
It highlights a pervasive attitude in that region, but if you have an example of a major shopping mall using an image of Hitler I'd be interested to see it.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Exclusive: How my brother tried to kill me in 'honor attack' - CNN.com

This is my biggest problem with the middle east and their culture; there treatment of women. It amazes me how they fail to realize how strong of a culture and how strong their countries they could be if they empowered women. Cant believe in modern times how oppressive you could be to your own daughter, sister, mother, etc. Its disturbing.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Chico, that's old news.

Men need to take responsibility for their actions, not treat women like they're the cause of all that's wrong.

Shout out to the women of Topless Jihad and Pakistani Atheists. Google it and support both, please.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
Chico, that's old news.

Men need to take responsibility for their actions, not treat women like they're the cause of all that's wrong.

Shout out to the women of Topless Jihad and Pakistani Atheists. Google it and support both, please.
How about the people aka the community should not force 12 year old girls to marry 60 year old men

He Gets Us
Old 04-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
How about the people aka the community should not force 12 year old girls to marry 60 year old men
When it's an established tradition based on the example of 'The Perfect Man' you'll have some stiff opposition in curtailing it.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Yeah, well obviously they need a culture shift. Please excuse me if I dont respect it. Change is natural

He Gets Us
Old 04-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Its a shocking story, but i would say theres just as much - if not more - violence against women in this country.

These "honor killings" are deplorable, and the vast majority of commnities in the middle east outlaw them. They beleive violence against women is just as bad as we do here. But i'd argue the sick b@stards in this country who beat/rape/kill girls and women here, just because it gets them off, are even worse.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #10
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Its a shocking story, but i would say theres just as much - if not more - violence against women in this country.

These "honor killings" are deplorable, and the vast majority of commnities in the middle east outlaw them. They beleive violence against women is just as bad as we do here. But i'd argue the sick b@stards in this country who beat/rape/kill girls and women here, just because it gets them off, are even worse.
Violence against women - whether "honor killings" or "just because it gets you off" is deplorable. I find it hard to believe that the numbers are comprable but don't know the comparable stats. Even if comprable, however, the fact that women are generally treated as property subject to the law as opposed to people with rights under the law is endemic to many countries in the ME and is enforced by their courts - both civil and religious (in some cases, one and the same).

It's night and day. I seriously doubt any well-adjusted Western woman, regardless of class, thinks to herself "Gee, I wish I lived in Pakistan, India or
Afghanistan - life would be soooo much better."
Old 04-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #11
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Violence against women - whether "honor killings" or "just because it gets you off" is deplorable. I find it hard to believe that the numbers are comprable but don't know the comparable stats. Even if comprable, however, the fact that women are generally treated as property subject to the law as opposed to people with rights under the law is endemic to many countries in the ME and is enforced by their courts - both civil and religious (in some cases, one and the same).

It's night and day. I seriously doubt any well-adjusted Western woman, regardless of class, thinks to herself "Gee, I wish I lived in Pakistan, India or
Afghanistan - life would be soooo much better
."
Word up Joe. At least there are laws to protect women against violence here. Over there its either no law or its so weak its left up to interpretation to whoever is enforcing it.

He Gets Us
Old 04-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #12
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Afghanistan - life would be soooo much better."
Theyre not comparable. They are worse here. Although its beyond dispute that women have more "rights" here from a legal perspective, the majority of eastern and middle eastern countrys consider violence against women and children to be criminal. Even if Afghanistan, its illegal pretty much everywhere. Its just certain tribal areas that adhere to extremist religous law where this sort of thing is tolerated... yet, ignorant americans act like the whole middle east is represented by those small, isolated areas.

The fact remains that violence against women is universal problem. No matter what the country, some men mistreat women becuase they're @ssholes. I would imagine most abusers "justifiy" their actions to themselves for varoius reasons. The only difference in the situation described in the CNN article is that the @ssholes feel they are justified because of their religious laws.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Theyre not comparable. They are worse here. Although its beyond dispute that women have more "rights" here from a legal perspective, the majority of eastern and middle eastern countrys consider violence against women and children to be criminal. Even if Afghanistan, its illegal pretty much everywhere. Its just certain tribal areas that adhere to extremist religous law where this sort of thing is tolerated... yet, ignorant americans act like the whole middle east is represented by those small, isolated areas. The fact remains that violence against women is universal problem. No matter what the country, some men mistreat women becuase they're @ssholes. I would imagine most abusers "justifiy" their actions to themselves for varoius reasons. The only difference in the situation described in the CNN article is that the @ssholes feel they are justified because of their religious laws.
wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong

He Gets Us
Old 04-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #14
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Yeah violence is a small part of the oppression of women rights in the middle east.

He Gets Us
Old 04-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:

Really? Just an opinion, BHA, or do you have anything to substantiate that?