The Common Ground thread

Debating with the enemy

Old 11-04-2020, 06:13 PM   #16
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: The Common Ground thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
I have a hard time seeing a con. I am not trying to get in an argument of police defunding. There are obviously idiots like AOC that literally mean defund the police but most politicians I have asked about this issue it is doing things such as decriminalizing pot so the police can actually focus on more important community issues. That could be a compromise for both parties. How would you and SD being more libertarian handle legalizing pot knowing the government would regulate it to prevent it from being the low standard "imports" we see today? To me regulation makes products be it consumer, energy, food cleaner.
As long as the federal government is not regulating it, I'm fine with it. Let each state handle that individually, as they see fit.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-04-2020, 06:16 PM   #17
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Let states and/or local governments handle it, is my solution to 90% of all issues, give or take.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:19 PM   #18
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
As long as the federal government is not regulating it, I'm fine with it. Let each state handle that individually, as they see fit.
Agreed. And treat driving while high the same as you would DUI, with harsh penalties.

Of course this means we need a reliable test, but that's out of my league lol. I think we all agree on decriminalization of weed though.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:24 PM   #19
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Let states and/or local governments handle it, is my solution to 90% of all issues, give or take.
I'm a southerner by birth so I can have some appreciation for letting states and local governments handle most things. (I do draw the line on protection of our common resources). My dad worked in the White House during the Reagan administration and we have this discussion all the time about military spending. He has convinced me that we could cut military spending by half and use that at the state level for policing and mental health and we would easily save more American lives annually.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:59 PM   #20
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
I'm a southerner by birth so I can have some appreciation for letting states and local governments handle most things. (I do draw the line on protection of our common resources). My dad worked in the White House during the Reagan administration and we have this discussion all the time about military spending. He has convinced me that we could cut military spending by half and use that at the state level for policing and mental health and we would easily save more American lives annually.
If it was up to me, I'd eliminate a lot of departments, agencies, etc., altogether. And all the ones remaining would get a 10% cut in 2022, including military spending.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:10 PM   #21
jamf
Pro Bowl

will the Republican Party nominate a respectable person with conservative value (Kasich, Romney) or will the Republican base nominate the loudest racist again?

No common ground till both parties take care of their own issues internally.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:08 AM   #22
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Didn't really know exactly where to place this.

Troops are being taken out of the middle east. IMO, fucking awesome.

Cutting the troops in Afghanistan from 4500 down to 2500 and in Iraq from 3500 down to 2500 is progress. I'd go 0 in both, but still progress.

And here comes The Turtle calling this a rapid withdrawal. Only a politician thinks 19 years is rapid.

Geez Louise.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:09 AM   #23
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Didn't really know exactly where to place this.

Troops are being taken out of the middle east. IMO, fucking awesome.

Cutting the troops in Afghanistan from 4500 down to 2500 and in Iraq from 3500 down to 2500 is progress. I'd go 0 in both, but still progress.

And here comes The Turtle calling this a rapid withdrawal. Only a politician thinks 19 years is rapid.

Geez Louise.
All our Military Leaders think it's a mistake.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:18 PM   #24
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Bump.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...Q1g?li=BBnb7Kz

I'm happy to shit on Dems who prioritize big pharma ahead of their constituents. Also happy to shit on any lawmaker that allows private companies to write laws benefitting the company and then accepts a job lobbying on behalf the company that paid the lawmaker to pass the law.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:11 PM   #25
nonniey
The Starter

I didn't think things could get this serious! What is the world coming too?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ca...ge-11637952230

"Canada releases 50 million pounds from maple syrup reserve amid global shortage.

Canadian maple syrup producers are tapping the country’s emergency reserve of the sticky sweet stuff as it looks to meet demand amid a global shortage.

The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers — a group known as the world’s maple syrup cartel and sometimes compared to the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries grip on oil — announced this week that it’s pulling some 50 million pounds of syrup from its strategic reserve.

That’s the most the group has released from the reserve in a single season since 2008 and amounts to about half of the entire stockpile....."
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:20 PM   #26
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post

"Canada releases 50 million pounds from maple syrup reserve amid global shortage.

Canadian maple syrup producers are tapping the country’s emergency reserve of the sticky sweet stuff as it looks to meet demand amid a global shortage.

The Quebec Maple Syrup Producers — a group known as the world’s maple syrup cartel and sometimes compared to the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries grip on oil — announced this week that it’s pulling some 50 million pounds of syrup from its strategic reserve.

That’s the most the group has released from the reserve in a single season since 2008 and amounts to about half of the entire stockpile....."
Oh no

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:06 AM   #27
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post

That was very nice of them .
Old 01-05-2022, 08:20 PM   #28
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

https://www.reuters.com/investigates...rce=reddit.com

This is pretty damning - Jay Carney (ex-comms director for VP/Biden and Obama press secretary) has been working for Amazon the last 6 years and he's been leading the charge to eliminate privacy protections for American citizens worried about how companies collect and sell their data.

I think both sides can agree this is less than ideal for everybody.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:29 PM   #29
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Well, the issue is we are the world hegemonic power. That is expensive. Would you want to cede that? We already are seeing the ramifications of our surrender in Afghanistan cutting the defense budget in half would be pouring gas on a fire.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:31 PM   #30
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
will the Republican Party nominate a respectable person with conservative value (Kasich, Romney) or will the Republican base nominate the loudest racist again?

No common ground till both parties take care of their own issues internally.
There is always some common ground - otherwise the Infrastructure bill and the debt ceiling raise would have failed.