What happens with Kyle Smith?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-16-2021, 09:56 AM   #181
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: What happens with Kyle Smith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
First, my that statement isn’t a knock against Ron.

I’m not saying this your points aren’t correct. But what football people says outside the organization matters...Especially those coaching teams to Super Bowls ie Kyle Shanny, McVay, and possibly Matt LaFleur who were once with the all with the org. They are big fans and they each know talent.

Too me, it’s a what have you done lately league. So Hurney or Mayhew are auto trash hires imo. Hiring them to lose Kyle...big fuckin mistake.

Kyle On talent eval in the draft, as well as free agency I’d say he’s done a great job especially in an org that has mismanaged everything.

I’d give him a GM interview because he has simply earned with this team..it then becomes an opportunity to say, “this isn’t the time, here’s what we’d like to see more of” but how about a re-title, bump in pay, etc type discussion.
I would be shocked beyond belief if RR has not discussed those things with Kyle. That's my point is that we don't know what has been said, but we do know Kyle was given a re-title, bump in pay, etc type discussion when RR took over.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-16-2021, 10:06 AM   #182
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Too me good talent evaluators are like pass rushers, you can’t have too many.

I just would hate to see the guy go. Yes, too young and too inexperienced for GM, but too talented with a bright future too go.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:08 AM   #183
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I haven't seen anything that says they plan on letting him go, or that another team is looking for his services. Anybody got that report?

Last edited by Chief X_Phackter; 01-17-2021 at 12:26 PM.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:10 AM   #184
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I would be shocked beyond belief if RR has not discussed those things with Kyle. That's my point is that we don't know what has been said, but we do know Kyle was given a re-title, bump in pay, etc type discussion when RR took over.
This.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:09 AM   #185
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Too me good talent evaluators are like pass rushers, you can’t have too many.

I just would hate to see the guy go. Yes, too young and too inexperienced for GM, but too talented with a bright future too go.
I agree. But I'm readying myself now in case Kyle feels passed over.

Also Chief X, JP Finlay's article specifically mentions it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Finlay
Rivera is in the process of interviewing prospects to be the team’s new general manager, and regardless who gets that job, it very likely means current VP of Player Personnel Kyle Smith is out.
I don't think he puts that last line in there if he doesn't have intel saying Kyle Smith is getting ready to move on.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:19 AM   #186
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
To be where he is at this point of his short career (Vice President of player personnel), three years removed from being a "regional" scout is pretty good. He probably has an eye for talent, and helped with the previous three drafts, but he's probably just not ready.
Not ready for what? His job is to acquire talent, replenish the machine, he has done that 3 years in a row. Of the 26 players picked by Smith 24 of them are on an NFL roster, 20 on the Washington roster, I'm not counting FA, just picks. Don't believe me? Look it up, that is unheard of. You have the capologist who handles the cap, HR issues are probably handled by him, Ron and management. What else is there for him to do? If/when he leaves, we'll be back to average picks. Ron must be blind.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 02:07 PM   #187
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Not ready for what? His job is to acquire talent, replenish the machine, he has done that 3 years in a row. Of the 26 players picked by Smith 24 of them are on an NFL roster, 20 on the Washington roster, I'm not counting FA, just picks. Don't believe me? Look it up, that is unheard of. You have the capologist who handles the cap, HR issues are probably handled by him, Ron and management. What else is there for him to do? If/when he leaves, we'll be back to average picks. Ron must be blind.
You just listed all the reasons he should be vp of player personnel. Oh wait thats what he is. You also listed the things he hasnt done that a skilled GM has to be able to manage. Can Kyle be that skilled GM? Maybe, even probably, but whenever and wherever he becomes a GM at he won't be doing the things he is exceptionally qualified for.

Think about hiring a head coach. When a defensive mastermind becomes head coach he has to learn the concept of putting the whole team together. Some top notch defensive coordinators make the transition some don't. But even those who do are no handling the day to day of what they excelled at.

Kyle may be an excellent GM someday, maybe with the Redskins, but RR probably knows better then any of us do just how close or far away Kyle is to making that leap.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:25 AM   #188
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Wait. Smith picked those 26 players by himself? Surely you don't believe that, right?
Old 01-17-2021, 11:56 AM   #189
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Wait. Smith picked those 26 players by himself? Surely you don't believe that, right?
He obviously has a scouting team and if/when he leaves will be taking some with him, depleting our scouting team. Rivera brought in Eric Stokes in July 2020 as Director of Pro Personnel, he wasn't involved in any of Smith's drafts and now he is being interviewed for the GM position. Kyle Smith is the VP of player personnel and if I'm not mistaken is a higher position than Director of Pro personnel, as of now he's not being interviewed. Why? Rivera likes to work with people he trusts, how about building trust with the guy in your building? If Smith doesn't get an interview consider him gone and to me that's a slap in the face of a guy who's had great success here. If Smith leaves only time will tell on how successful the drafts will be with the new GM.

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/t...ter/kyle-smith

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/t...er/eric-stokes

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:20 PM   #190
SkinsGuru
Impact Rookie

there sure are a lot of assumptions being made . . .
SkinsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:57 PM   #191
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Ron and Kyle have had a full 12 months working together, if Ron isn't promoting Kyle it is because he can't do the job Ron needs him to do at GM or that they don't have the same philosophy.

As an aside, coaching staffs have a big impact on players picked, several under the previous regime were credited to Jay Gruden, as well as the other scouting staff. It is not just Kyle
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:21 PM   #192
SkinzWin
Playmaker

This SI article doesn’t sound very promising for Kyle Smith.

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfoo...aliber-staffer
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:31 PM   #193
skinsfanmdc
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
This SI article doesn’t sound very promising for Kyle Smith.

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfoo...aliber-staffer
Hope this don't blow up in Ron's face. Imagine Kyle getting a front office job with the 49ers or Rams. I could see mediocrity with this front office. Ron, and the good ol boys from Carolina.
skinsfanmdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:41 PM   #194
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanmdc View Post
Hope this don't blow up in Ron's face. Imagine Kyle getting a front office job with the 49ers or Rams. I could see mediocrity with this front office. Ron, and the good ol boys from Carolina.
Chris Russell...mmmk

My guess is the Rams and 49ers front offices are doing just fine with their current structure. Haven't heard of them looking to hire anyone.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:49 PM   #195
rocnrik
Playmaker

I thought that the People that make all the decisions on players actually read this forum and make decisions based on our knowledge....😳😀
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote