Pre Draft Thread 2.0

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-18-2021, 12:34 PM   #241
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Re: Pre Draft Thread 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervis_Griffith View Post
Gotcha ... it's always tough to comment on the drafts that are posted, without knowing who else is available. Werner sounds pretty good though. And has versatility, which we know RR puts a premium on.

I agree with you on Mond, and Mills. Not so much with Trask. But I'm just a guy watching football on his couch. So what do I know?

If Mayhew's statements are to be believed, and not part of a disinformation campaign, I think Mills won't be strongly considered .... Mayhew said he preferred more collegiate starts with his QB prospects. Which cuts against Mills, and Trey Lance, and Justin Fields. Mond has tons of experience, more than anyone else in the draft.
I agree with Mayhew in that respect. It's such a gamble to take a guy with a small sample size from which to evaluate, especially at the most important position. This year it's particularly tough with COVID and all the opt-outs. But it's all disinformation this time of year. You can't believe what anyone is saying. They are all trying to disguise their intentions for the draft.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-18-2021, 12:36 PM   #242
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Gotcha ... it's always tough to comment on the drafts that are posted, without knowing who else is available. Werner sounds pretty good though. And has versatility, which we know RR puts a premium on.

I agree with you on Mond, and Mills. Not so much with Trask. But I'm just a guy watching football on his couch. So what do I know?

If Mayhew's statements are to be believed, and not part of a disinformation campaign, I think Mills won't be strongly considered .... Mayhew said he preferred more collegiate starts with his QB prospects. Which cuts against Mills, and Trey Lance, and Justin Fields. Mond has tons of experience, more than anyone else in the draft.

That stuff about starts in college might hold true for a while if the guy is getting thrown right into action. But with Fitz that will not be the case. Not right away. Not even close. If Fields or Lance started as many games as Mond they would crush his learned abilities. Mond started a zillion games and never really became great for an extended period. Speaks to either a low ceiling or a problem grasping the job. Either way , with a vet like Fitz here for a at least a year gimme the guy with a higher ceiling and a bigger learning curve every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:57 PM   #243
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
That stuff about starts in college might hold true for a while if the guy is getting thrown right into action. But with Fitz that will not be the case. Not right away. Not even close. If Fields or Lance started as many games as Mond they would crush his learned abilities. Mond started a zillion games and never really became great for an extended period. Speaks to either a low ceiling or a problem grasping the job. Either way , with a vet like Fitz here for a at least a year gimme the guy with a higher ceiling and a bigger learning curve every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
I understand what you are saying. But you could also say that if Fields or Lance started as many games as Mond, they might show the same inconsistencies, or display some other weaknesses. You just don't know.

I just have a hard time giving up what it would take to get Lance or Fields, and then have him sit for a year. That's just me.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:31 PM   #244
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I understand what you are saying. But you could also say that if Fields or Lance started as many games as Mond, they might show the same inconsistencies, or display some other weaknesses. You just don't know.

I just have a hard time giving up what it would take to get Lance or Fields, and then have him sit for a year. That's just me.

Well, I would say great consistency from both those guys in a much shorter window. Could they have flamed out next year in college? Sure. But I think they probably would continue to dominate.

And honestly like I said in a prior post , Im just as happy taking a OT and rolling with Fitz. For this year. But than what? Have to make that decision again next year without Captain Stopgap? Hope a starter falls in our laps in free agency? I mean at what point do you “pay” for the guy. To me now is a great time since we got Fitz and it is still a “building “ year. We have the D. We have a good young corp of weapons. We have picks next year minus what we would give up for Fields or Lance now. We have free agency again to plug holes for 2022. The time is now to get the quarterback of the future. If you want to field a contender in 2022 I mean A real contender than get the quarterback now. Ive almost convinced myself of trading up for him while writing this. Lol.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:53 PM   #245
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Yeah, maybe they do trade up, but I think it would be a mistake. There's too many holes to fill, and aging players in key positions - across the O-line.

That's why I'm more of a fan of trading back than trading up. There's like 12 tackles (15+ O-linemen) and 12 linebackers projected to be taken in the first two rounds, who all have the potential to be impact starters at the next level.

That being said, trading up wouldn't be a mistake if they were able to land a true franchise QB for years to come. It is such a gamble though... If they miss, the team is worse off than it was before - less picks, same holes...
Old 04-18-2021, 02:25 PM   #246
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Yeah, maybe they do trade up, but I think it would be a mistake. There's too many holes to fill, and aging players in key positions - across the O-line.

That's why I'm more of a fan of trading back than trading up. There's like 12 tackles (15+ O-linemen) and 12 linebackers projected to be taken in the first two rounds, who all have the potential to be impact starters at the next level.

That being said, trading up wouldn't be a mistake if they were able to land a true franchise QB for years to come. It is such a gamble though... If they miss, the team is worse off than it was before - less picks, same holes...

The law of averages says eventually a first round quarterback will work out. Lol. For the love of God it has to if we trade up.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:38 PM   #247
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Well, I would say great consistency from both those guys in a much shorter window. Could they have flamed out next year in college? Sure. But I think they probably would continue to dominate.

And honestly like I said in a prior post , Im just as happy taking a OT and rolling with Fitz. For this year. But than what? Have to make that decision again next year without Captain Stopgap? Hope a starter falls in our laps in free agency? I mean at what point do you “pay” for the guy. To me now is a great time since we got Fitz and it is still a “building “ year. We have the D. We have a good young corp of weapons. We have picks next year minus what we would give up for Fields or Lance now. We have free agency again to plug holes for 2022. The time is now to get the quarterback of the future. If you want to field a contender in 2022 I mean A real contender than get the quarterback now. Ive almost convinced myself of trading up for him while writing this. Lol.

All could be true ...

But what if your 3rd round pick becomes your franchise QB?

Russell Wilson started 33 games in college (and split another 6 in a QB rotation at NC State) before becoming a 3rd round pick by Seattle, who had just signed Matt Flynn to a free agency deal. Wilson wasn't supposed to start from the beginning.

Dak Prescott started 46 games in college before being chosen in the 4th round by the Cowaboysh (as Jerry Jones says). He was supposed to back up Tony Romo, but was the third QB before the back up broke his arm. Romo goes down with an injury, and Dak takes over.

Which is why I think a 3rd round pick for Kellen Mond makes sense -- especially because we have two 3rd round picks. If he isn't the next Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott, what have you lost? Not much .... But ...

What if he is the next Wilson or Prescott?

He may not be ... odds are against it ... but the parallels are striking. Especially compared to Prescott, whose accuracy at Miss State was up and down ... Mond's has gotten better each year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Wilson
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dak_Prescott
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellen_Mond
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:27 PM   #248
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
All could be true ...

Russell Wilson started 33 games in college (and split another 6 in a QB rotation at NC State) before becoming a 3rd round pick by Seattle, who had just signed Matt Flynn to a free agency deal. Wilson wasn't supposed to start from the beginning.

Dak Prescott started 46 games in college before being chosen in the 4th round by the Cowaboysh (as Jerry Jones says). He was supposed to back up Tony Romo, but was the third QB before the back up broke his arm. Romo goes down with an injury, and Dak takes over.

Which is why I think a 3rd round pick for Kellen Mond makes sense -- especially because we have two 3rd round picks. If he isn't the next Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott, what have you lost? Not much .... But ...

He may not be ... odds are against it ... but the parallels are striking. Especially compared to Prescott, whose accuracy at Miss State was up and down ... Mond's has gotten better each year.

Mond and Dak college stats for their last three years of college (in the same Conference) are very similar.

It's all a crapshoot, but I would rather take a flyer on him, than move up for a guy.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:42 PM   #249
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Quote:
Mond and Dak college stats for their last three years of college (in the same Conference) are very similar.

It's all a crapshoot, but I would rather take a flyer on him, than move up for a guy.

Agreed ... we have so many holes to fill. I'd maybe think differently if all we really had to worry about was replacing our 10 year vet long snapper.
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:52 PM   #250
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
All could be true ...

I am in no way saying he will not be and YES in a perfect world we sit tight and get an immediate impact player at 19, grab a guy like Mond for nothing other than the pick we took him with, and a year from now the dude becomes our guy. Sign me up. We get our quarterback and keep all our picks. Ill do the happy dance when that becomes apparent.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:56 PM   #251
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Also a lot of talk about us having so many holes to fill. I think “so many” is too strong of language. Besides the quarterback in question (which is btw our biggest hole), T, LB, S, second TE. Other than that I see no glaring holes. I mean we could use some other pieces but no team is perfectly set at every position. Always going to be holes.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:45 PM   #252
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

You're right, speaking in terms of just 2021, there's not necessarily glaring needs all over. Looking forward though, there is work to be done across the O-line in particular, and with the back seven of the defense.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:50 PM   #253
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:

I tend to agree even though the odds of finding a long term QB outside of first round are not great but if we have better minds drafting it is no worse than what we have done in the past.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:50 PM   #254
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

List of players the WFT has either met, or is scheduled to meet with virtually:

Christian Darrisaw, OT

Tommy Tremble, TE
Brevin Jordan, TE

Ihmir Smith-Marsette, WR
Rondale Moore, WR
Mike Strachan, WR
Kadarius Toney, WR
Dax Milne, WR

Asante Samuel Jr., CB
Trill Williams, CB
Greg Newsome, CB

Darius Stills, DT
Old 04-18-2021, 06:57 PM   #255
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
List of players the WFT has either met, or is scheduled to meet with virtually:

Christian Darrisaw, OT

Tommy Tremble, TE
Brevin Jordan, TE

Ihmir Smith-Marsette, WR
Rondale Moore, WR
Mike Strachan, WR
Kadarius Toney, WR
Dax Milne, WR

Asante Samuel Jr., CB
Trill Williams, CB
Greg Newsome, CB

Darius Stills, DT
Really like the TE selections...right in that 3rd round area. They aren’t done at WR this offseason.

Greg Newsome is an underrated prospect

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote