Parkland Shooting

Debating with the enemy

Old 02-23-2018, 02:01 PM   #46
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Parkland Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan73 View Post
Rap music, Marilyn Manson, video games, medications and parents. But never ever the guns or the ads used to sell them.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
The first sentence looks at what caused a person to do an evil act, and can we reduce or rehabilitate those. The second sentence looks at an inanimate object that has been used to save thousands or tens of thousands of lives when held by people with good intent.

Yes, imo, the focus should be on looking at personal responibility, and getting help to those who need it, BEFORE, they have set in their hearts to do evil.

The Parkland shooting shows us again, the systems were in place to stop it, but the almighty government and the individual guard who were alerted and could have stopped it - failed. It's that simple and tragic. You can ban whatever guns you want, there will always be a way for a person intent on an evil act to accomplish it.

HYPOTHETICAL, suppose Nikolas, instead of using a gun, had plowed his car through the parking lot, would you be calling on an end to high schoolers being able to park on school property? Of course not, and driving kills far more people per year than gun violence. And it's not a protected right in the Bill of Rights.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-23-2018, 02:08 PM   #47
Dan73
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
The first sentence looks at what caused a person to do an evil act, and can we reduce or rehabilitate those. The second sentence looks at an inanimate object that has been used to save thousands or tens of thousands of lives when held by people with good intent.

Yes, imo, the focus should be on looking at personal responibility, and getting help to those who need it, BEFORE, they have set in their hearts to do evil.

The Parkland shooting shows us again, the systems were in place to stop it, but the almighty government and the individual guard who were alerted and could have stopped it - failed. It's that simple and tragic. You can ban whatever guns you want, there will always be a way for a person intent on an evil act to accomplish it.

HYPOTHETICAL, suppose Nikolas, instead of using a gun, had plowed his car through the parking lot, would you be calling on an end to high schoolers being able to park on school property? Of course not, and driving kills far more people per year than gun violence. And it's not a protected right in the Bill of Rights.
First off cars aren't designed to take lives. They are not promoted as ways to deal with other people with whom you have conflict up to including the government.

When I was younger you bought a hunting rifle now you buy an assault rifle.

When cars are advertised as ways to deal with other people then make laws to reduce that happening.

Dan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:10 PM   #48
Dan73
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
F it let’s just arm everyone Wild West style

Guns don’t solve problems or prevent them
That is the gun manufacturers wet dream. Everyone gets so scared they run out and buy guns.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:16 PM   #49
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
First off cars aren't designed to take lives. They are not promoted as ways to deal with other people with whom you have conflict up to including the government.

When I was younger you bought a hunting rifle now you buy an assault rifle.

When cars are advertised as ways to deal with other people then make laws to reduce that happening.

I have never seen a gun advertisement showing a young man of good intent walking into a school and shooting the occupants.

I have seen terrorists in NY London Germany and Paris use vehicles as weapons of destruction.

We see more deaths by cars then by guns every year.

All that said, add background checks and raise the age to 21 for non-military. It will be as illegal then to use it as it was when Nikolas went into that school. The laws on the books did not stop him. But preventive steps could have.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:19 PM   #50
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
F it let’s just arm everyone Wild West style

Guns don’t solve problems or prevent them
There are steps to take, but to blame the object (gun) as the primary focus ignores the realities that there are a lot of other steps that can be taken and have more net positive effect.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:22 PM   #51
MTK
\m/

Common sense laws are all any reasonable people are looking for, low hanging fruit like raising the age to 21 and strict background checks. Why is that so much to ask for without the response being you’re coming for our guns
Old 02-23-2018, 02:22 PM   #52
Dan73
Special Teams

Quote:
I have never seen a gun advertisement showing a young man of good intent walking into a school and shooting the occupants.

I have seen terrorists in NY London Germany and Paris use vehicles as weapons of destruction.

All that said, add background checks and raise the age to 21 for non-military. It will be as illegal then to use it as it was when Nikolas went into that school. The laws on the books did not stop him. But preventive steps could have.
Yes we have car accidents and there are laws to made to cut down on those. For instance cars have to have all sorts of safety features. And manufacturers can be held liable.

I have never seen fertilizer advertisements showing bomb as an option for it. But start buying a bunch and watch the government come checking.

And let's cut the crap that guns save lives. They do not perform CPR or perform surgery. They just wound or kill others.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:28 PM   #53
Dan73
Special Teams

Quote:
Common sense laws are all any reasonable people are looking for, low hanging fruit like raising the age to 21 and strict background checks. Why is that so much to ask for without the response being you’re coming for our guns
Actually I want all gun owners to carry insurance. Your kid shoots someone with you gun you bear the costs. Your gun is used in a crime and you didn't report it stolen your financially responsible.

I would also want everyone licensed before they can have one.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:34 PM   #54
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Actually I want all gun owners to carry insurance. Your kid shoots someone with you gun you bear the costs. Your gun is used in a crime and you didn't report it stolen your financially responsible.

I would also want everyone licensed before they can have one.

I actually like the insurance idea.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:35 PM   #55
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Because their stance, when you strip down all the window dressing and superfluous nonsense, is basically some derivative of "fuck you I like my gun".

It's asinine. Nobody needs an AR15, they do far more harm than good in society so thus should be banned. Background checks should require everyone to sit in front of as many qualified individuals who can assess human behavior and identify mental stability and emotional state.

But ultimately, fuck you, I like my gun.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:37 PM   #56
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
There are steps to take, but to blame the object (gun) as the primary focus ignores the realities that there are a lot of other steps that can be taken and have more net positive effect.
Completely disagree. The problem in Parkland was that obviously unstable asshole had access to a gun capable of firing a shit ton of rounds in a very short time.

Fixing someone's mental health - the right acts like that's as simple as going to the doctor and getting antibiotics for a sore throat.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:40 PM   #57
Dan73
Special Teams

Quote:
I actually like the insurance idea.
I don't have a problem with responsible gun ownership. I have seen insurance as a step in that direction

Old 02-23-2018, 02:48 PM   #58
Dan73
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Completely disagree. The problem in Parkland was that obviously unstable asshole had access to a gun capable of firing a shit ton of rounds in a very short time.

Fixing someone's mental health - the right acts like that's as simple as going to the doctor and getting antibiotics for a sore throat.
One of the big lies used recently is that guns haven't changed. Every gun I used when I was younger had either bolt or pump action or I had to cock the hammer.

Bit more difficult to go on a spree with limited ammo or if you have to manually chamber a round.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #59
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:

See I am against the 21 year rule .I am old but I still believe if I can fight for my country I should be allowed to do everything else ,have a drink,own a gun and rent a car.
I see other ways , to own you must have a license and you must have insurance and yes tax the hell out of ammo and the guns themselves. You must pass a test like you do for a car and finally a physical evaluation.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:05 PM   #60
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Because their stance, when you strip down all the window dressing and superfluous nonsense, is basically some derivative of "fuck you I like my gun".

It's asinine. Nobody needs an AR15, they do far more harm than good in society so thus should be banned. Background checks should require everyone to sit in front of as many qualified individuals who can assess human behavior and identify mental stability and emotional state.

But ultimately, fuck you, I like my gun.

Yup, guns > our children too apparently

20 years of this senseless shit and no real changes