Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

WFT Free Agency

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Grade WFT's free agency haul so far (Fitz, Samuel, Jackson)
A 28 48.28%
B 26 44.83%
C 3 5.17%
D 1 1.72%
F 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2021, 09:39 AM   #376
Scalper

Re: WFT Free Agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
We could have had

TE Hunter Henry
G Thuney or Zeitler or Trai Turner or many other starting level Gs
3r comp

Instead we get an injury prone G who is taking up 18M in cap space all in 1 year

I understand you dont let high level homegrown players walk ... but Scherff is like maybe the 6th or 7th best G in the game and fuck him if he wants to over value himself

We are letting a G dictate to us.

Hes a guard. If we knew he wasnt going to resign with us .. then let him walk now vs next year.
Yup. And we could start C we signed or Charles at G for no add'l money. Horrible decision. RG is lowest leverage position of entire starting 22. I still say in a draft deep with Ts smart play would have been let Scherff walk and draft a mauler T that you plug to G right away. Except I think our FO may be drafting 1-2 LBs with first 4 picks.

And I still say it was about the guarantees, overall and injury, rather than the total contract value. Scherff knows he can't stay healthy and wants a sucker to be on the hook for guaranteed money if he's injured.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-10-2021, 01:46 PM   #377
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
We could have had

TE Hunter Henry
3r comp

Instead we get an injury prone G who is taking up 18M in cap space all in 1 year

I understand you dont let high level homegrown players walk ... but Scherff is like maybe the 6th or 7th best G in the game and fuck him if he wants to over value himself

Hes a guard. If we knew he wasnt going to resign with us .. then let him walk now vs next year.

Hunter Henry is way more injury prone than Scherff is

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:13 PM   #378
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
We could have had

TE Hunter Henry

3r comp

How is he the 6th or 7th best yet first team all pro. People so underestimate Scherff because he is on our team already and we see his faults more clearly.

It's a shame he doesn't want a long term deal but the difference in salary cap vs quality of next man up was not enough for this FO to justify letting him go yet. Given he is a staple to our offense and they inherited his situation, I get them not wanting to just cut ties.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:01 AM   #379
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
How is he the 6th or 7th best yet first team all pro. People so underestimate Scherff because he is on our team already and we see his faults more clearly.

It's a shame he doesn't want a long term deal but the difference in salary cap vs quality of next man up was not enough for this FO to justify letting him go yet. Given he is a staple to our offense and they inherited his situation, I get them not wanting to just cut ties.

Agreed.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:37 AM   #380
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Hunter Henry is way more injury prone than Scherff is
Reed 2.0. We've seen that show.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:53 AM   #381
Scalper

Quote:

All-Pro team selected by journalists, not GMs or players or other people actually playing the game or building teams. Grades by groups like PFF often diverge sharply from All-Pro selections. All-Pro is a vanity entertainment award, not an analytic. So saying Scherff All-Pro doesn't mean he is necessarily top-2 at position, especially not in eyes of professional evaluators.

Next man up is $17M a year less. Yeah, they inherited, that doesn't mean they managed it properly.

Let's say he's 2nd best. No way is he better than Quenton Nelson, who is an absolute beast. I would not call it absurd to put him past 6th, he is a mauler run game, good moving in space to run block, but gets blown up on pass protection WAY too much--reason he was moved to G in first place, and there are LOTs of good mauling run blocker Gs. But again, let's even suppose he is better than Quenton Nelson or as good, which he isn't. Nelson has been in league 3 years, has been a 1st team All-Pro all three years, Pro Bowl all three years, and started all 48 games. Hasn't missed a single game. When his rookie deal expires he'll be in prime, having been absolute best at his position every year, with no injuries--maybe you pay him $18M, I wouldn't, but it is at least a sensible proposition. No way you pay that much to guard turning 30 who can't stay healthy or pass block. You CAN find a G 3rd-5th round who can't pass block well but who is a mauler in run game. I'll take a G 75% as good as Scherff for $17M a year less in a heartbeat and our FO should have too.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:03 AM   #382
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
All-Pro team selected by journalists, not GMs or players or other people actually playing the game or building teams. Grades by groups like PFF often diverge sharply from All-Pro selections. All-Pro is a vanity entertainment award, not an analytic. So saying Scherff All-Pro doesn't mean he is necessarily top-2 at position, especially not in eyes of professional evaluators.

Next man up is $17M a year less. Yeah, they inherited, that doesn't mean they managed it properly.

Let's say he's 2nd best. No way is he better than Quenton Nelson, who is an absolute beast. I would not call it absurd to put him past 6th, he is a mauler run game, good moving in space to run block, but gets blown up on pass protection WAY too much--reason he was moved to G in first place, and there are LOTs of good mauling run blocker Gs. But again, let's even suppose he is better than Quenton Nelson or as good, which he isn't. Nelson has been in league 3 years, has been a 1st team All-Pro all three years, Pro Bowl all three years, and started all 48 games. Hasn't missed a single game. When his rookie deal expires he'll be in prime, having been absolute best at his position every year, with no injuries--maybe you pay him $18M, I wouldn't, but it is at least a sensible proposition. No way you pay that much to guard turning 30 who can't stay healthy or pass block. You CAN find a G 3rd-5th round who can't pass block well but who is a mauler in run game. I'll take a G 75% as good as Scherff for $17M a year less in a heartbeat and our FO should have too.
First, while AP teams are selected by journalists, they are not like the pro bowl selections and are highly regarded as accurate reflections. But since you mention PFF, they have him as 4th, with 2 AFC and 1 NFC guards. Guess what. That is the same as the AP selections. He also was voted to the pro bowl (which i despise referring to) which is voted on by gms, players, and fans - i am also guessing WFT fans didn't flood the ballot box for Scherff. So the only group out there saying he is anything other than a top 5 G is internet mafia types.

Second, next man up isn't both 1M/year and 75% better. Erick Flowers and Justin Pugh are 10 and 8m respectively and maybe are hit that 3/4 mark. $1M for a guard this year (non draft) gets you a guard in the 50 to 60th best slot.

Third, I love when rookie salaries are brought into discussion but that is only part of why your QNelson comment is a strawman fallacy. I don't pay for pff so i could only look at this year, but hear is a cbs note
Quote:
One of the most dependable guards in the league, Scherff has never posted a PFF grade below 72.5 in his six-year NFL career.*Over the last three seasons, Scherff ranks among the league’s best guards in nearly every key metric, including a 97th percentile ranking on*true pass sets*and 90th percentile ranking in percentage of positively graded plays. Both numbers are among the most important when projecting interior offensive linemen from year to year.
. The bold is mine. You are simply wrong about Scherff in pass blocking and value overall. As for QNelson, whenever he hits FA I guarantee 17m per year will be the starting point.

Finally, yes you can get a mauler in the draft in the 3rd thru 5th round, and I expect the WFT will draft with that in mind but you don't let the strength of your OL walk first when you can afford not to.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:07 AM   #383
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I love how we always hear the mantra "we have to keep/pay our own", but now that this team is close to being a true contender (and they are), they should just let their best offensive lineman walk because he's too expensive.

Sorry folks, that is his market value. Every position has a market value. It may seem silly or not feel right to pay a guard that much, but get used to it if you want an elite one.

Maybe in the future that price point comes down a bit like it did for RBs, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:19 AM   #384
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I love how we always hear the mantra "we have to keep/pay our own", but now that this team is close to being a true contender (and they are), they should just let their best offensive lineman walk because he's too expensive.

Sorry folks, that is his market value. Every position has a market value. It may seem silly or not feel right to pay a guard that much, but get used to it if you want an elite one.

Maybe in the future that price point comes down a bit like it did for RBs, but I'm not holding my breath.
I agree with you with a slight divergence. I do think we overpaid a bit. Any time you use the second tag you are overpaying the market. But the concept of keeping our own elite player outweighs the small percentage of cap that we overpaid by.

We could, of course, cut our own guy and overpay another guy that someone else let walk - remember Adam Archuleta?

Old 04-12-2021, 09:52 AM   #385
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I agree with you with a slight divergence. I do think we overpaid a bit. Any time you use the second tag you are overpaying the market. But the concept of keeping our own elite player outweighs the small percentage of cap that we overpaid by.

We could, of course, cut our own guy and overpay another guy that someone else let walk - remember Adam Archuleta?

Depends on how you look at it.

The Chiefs gave Joe Thuney ~$32M guaranteed when he signed, with a potential out after 2023. His cap number is $17.8M in 2022, $18.9M in 2023, and $19.4M in 2024-2025.

WFT paid Brandon Scherff $33M over the last two years, and owe him nothing more, unless he signs long term.

Once Thuney signed his deal, the market for an elite guard became at least $18M/yr.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:02 AM   #386
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Depends on how you look at it.

The Chiefs gave Joe Thuney ~$32M guaranteed when he signed, with a potential out after 2023. His cap number is $17.8M in 2022, $18.9M in 2023, and $19.4M in 2024-2025.

WFT paid Brandon Scherff $33M over the last two years, and owe him nothing more, unless he signs long term.

Once Thuney signed his deal, the market for an elite guard became at least $18M/yr.
Good point.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:14 AM   #387
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:

I guess I look at it as you are only overpaying if it hinders your ability to sign other talent. We have plenty of space so the tag didn't really cost us this year. If a long term deal gets done that could be a different story though because as you said that second tag will drive up the price a bit.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:25 AM   #388
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I don't look at the franchise tag as keeping our own. It's more like hiring a mercenary. He clearly won't be re-signed here. We could have used that money to sign a guard that wouldn't be as good AND fill one or 2 other holes on the roster. So we might drop a bit at G, but improve more than enough elsewhere to make up the difference then sum. Or not sigh a G and sign guys at different positions, then draft 1. But the same thing would still apply.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:33 AM   #389
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I don't look at the franchise tag as keeping our own. It's more like hiring a mercenary. He clearly won't be re-signed here. We could have used that money to sign a guard that wouldn't be as good AND fill one or 2 other holes on the roster. So we might drop a bit at G, but improve more than enough elsewhere to make up the difference then sum. Or not sigh a G and sign guys at different positions, then draft 1. But the same thing would still apply.
You basically are looking at signing 1 A+ player for 1 year or 2 c+/b- players.
If we were cap strapped this would be a no brainer, but we had the cap to bring in the guys they want - and we seemed to get good talent at good price. So the question becomes is it worth breaking a part of the team that is set (right side of line) over an extra c+/b- player in an area of the team that is weak.
I can see the argument both ways, but I am not going to fault a FO that so far has done solid moves and market evaluations because I, an armchair guru if i may say, deems it to be the lesser choice.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:38 AM   #390
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
As for being a mercenary, do you feel that way about Fitz who also signed a 1 year deal. Scherff is elite, not withstanding WFT fan experts, and has an expectation of testing free agency. He has been a WFT player for 6 years since he was drafted by us. That is the very definition of "a home grown player"