Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Marty Hurney Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-22-2021, 04:18 PM   #1
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: Marty Hurney Thread

This is a steaming pile of dogshit. Where does this team get off reinventing the wheel? Where in recent history has this team demonstrated they should think outside of the box? Learn how to operate in the box 1st.

This franchise can't handle simple arithmetic but have jumped straight to advanced calculus.

Rivera being in charge the 1st year was likely needed, but there has been more than enough time to get a tried and true system in place.

Is Hurney taking a Bruce Allen type position? Gonna lose Kyle Smith to bring in Hurney. Don't like that trade.

Would much rather have:

GM: Mayhew
Assistant GM: Smith
HC: Rivera

Even if Mayhew still reported to Rivera, this would be preferred.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:27 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

I guess since it's the offseason for us there's not much else to get fired up about, but I really don't get being upset about what's going on. Adding competent football people to the org is a bad thing? Ron doesn't know what he's doing apparently? Ok.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:30 PM   #3
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I guess since it's the offseason for us there's not much else to get fired up about, but I really don't get being upset about what's going on. Adding competent football people to the org is a bad thing? Ron doesn't know what he's doing apparently? Ok.
You can love the coach and still question certain decisions. I'm just not a fan or the HC being the de-facto GM in general. I'm old school I guess.

I like the Mayhew hire.

To me this is basically trading out Smith for Hurney. I'd rather have a young accomplished talent evaluator than an old retread. Mayhew could handle things Hurney will do, or hire guy(s) under him to handle the smaller duties outside of scouting, which Smith could lead.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:50 PM   #4
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Yeah I don't want to get it twisted, overall what happened here is still a good thing.

1) Ron is still in charge and I like him having full control, beats Bruce Allen any day, and Ron has demonstrated that he will do things Snyder may not love (cut Haskins)

2) He's hiring experienced football people to take stuff off his plate and help him with strategy and day to day

Overall this is good. I don't like the structure, I think it could result in some problems. But overall, the problems that may come from that sure beat the problems that could come with continuing to go along with just Ron and Kyle and calling that an adequate front office.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:11 PM   #5
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I'd much rather be wrong and look stupid in a few years than be right and starting over again. I'll start slow roasting that crow now.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:24 AM   #6
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Keep in mind,

Hurney brought Newton to Carolina

Mayhew brought Stafford to Detroit.

That's probably a good sign that they understand about the importance of the qb position.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:22 AM   #7
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Stafford Stafford Stafford!!

Stafford drops back, he surveys the field, he fires long, McLaurin has step, he has it, 70 yard TD for McLaurin.

This could be a legit thing for 4+ years (this is based on Stafford, I think he has at least 4 good years left). Extending McLaurin day 1 he can be extended, for the whole cookie jar isn't even a question. Get him a stud QB and let him eat.

A Stafford/McLaurin/Thomas/McKissic and Gibson offense is looking real nice. Not even including adding a weapon from Curtis Samuel on up.

If I'm over selling Stafford others are under selling him. If Detroit didn't have him they'd be a 4 or less win team annually.

Last edited by sdskinsfan2001; 01-23-2021 at 02:02 AM.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:45 PM   #8
Warthog
The Starter

Marty Hurney Thread

Stafford is the bomb, but will they trade for him? It’s going to take a RG3 monster-type trade to get him out of Detroit. Giving up two-three first round draft picks and a very good player like Allen of Payne is a huge price for Stafford. Worth it? I think so. But that’s the MINIMUM it will take to get him.

Except for the Cooper attempt, the WFT did not really go for any major players in FA. They went for medium players on 1-year cheap contracts. Some worked out and some did not. It was an OUTSTANDIBG strategy. Now they have to bid and go for the ones who worked out, like Thomas. I even think it’s POSSIBLE that Rivera just bid up Cooper, just so Dallas would overpay for him. It worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:30 PM   #9
Number44
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Stafford is the bomb, but will they trade for him? It’s going to take a RG3 monster-type trade to get him out of Detroit. Giving up two-three first round draft picks and a very good player like Allen of Payne is a huge price for Stafford. Worth it? I think so. But that’s the MINIMUM it will take to get him.

Except for the Cooper attempt, the WFT did not really go for any major players in FA. They went for medium players on 1-year cheap contracts. Some worked out and some did not. It was an OUTSTANDIBG strategy. Now they have to bid and go for the ones who worked out, like Thomas. I even think it’s POSSIBLE that Rivera just bid up Cooper, just so Dallas would overpay for him. It worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just commented in the other thread on your post there with this price for Stafford. I really believe that you are overestimating what it would take to get Stafford by a lot. Out of curiosity, where are you getting the idea that it would cost so much? I'm not seeing that kind of price estimate for Stafford anywhere. If the Lions are saying that's what it would take, I'm pretty sure that Stafford will just stay in Detroit.
Number44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:55 PM   #10
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I refuse to believe it will take two-three first round draft picks and a very good player like Allen of Payne to get Stafford. If that is the case, it's a hard pass for me.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:03 PM   #11
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I refuse to believe it will take two-three first round draft picks and a very good player like Allen of Payne to get Stafford. If that is the case, it's a hard pass for me.
As much as I'd love to have him, definitely agree. Our 1st and one of our 3rds would be the max imo. Hopefully you can hold out where it would only take the 1st. Then build out the roster with all the other picks.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:02 AM   #12
SunnySide
Playmaker

Reading articles and the Lions fan forum ... expectation is it will take a 1st plus something else. Colts, 9ers are the most talked about likely partners.

Our 1st plus a 3rd or so might do it.

im fine either way. But I would like to know what the Watson demand is so we could compare.

Stafford - 1st and 3rd?
Watson - two 1sts and a 3rd?

I think Watson fits our scheme more than Stafford. Plus age. Plus ability to extend broken plays.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:15 AM   #13
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Reading articles and the Lions fan forum ... expectation is it will take a 1st plus something else. Colts, 9ers are the most talked about likely partners.

Our 1st plus a 3rd or so might do it.

im fine either way. But I would like to know what the Watson demand is so we could compare.

Stafford - 1st and 3rd?
Watson - two 1sts and a 3rd?

I think Watson fits our scheme more than Stafford. Plus age. Plus ability to extend broken plays.
Keim said 19 and Payne or Allen would do it
Old 01-25-2021, 11:40 AM   #14
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Keim said 19 and Payne or Allen would do it
For Watson? Id consider that but honestly I havent watched a lot of Watson (or Stafford). but 5k yards on that team this past year is impressive.

no. 19 and payne/allen for Stafford? - thats a no from me. 1st and 3rd is my fan arm chair GM limit.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:56 AM   #15
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
For Watson? Id consider that but honestly I havent watched a lot of Watson (or Stafford). but 5k yards on that team this past year is impressive.

no. 19 and payne/allen for Stafford? - thats a no from me. 1st and 3rd is my fan arm chair GM limit.
Payne or Allen.

I hate to do it, but yes our first plus 1 or the other would do it. You need a franchise qb.