Strahan wanting out of NY

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-26-2004, 04:05 PM   #16
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by smootsmack
This is what Strahan said:

"At this point in my career I'd prefer to have Kerry Collins playing for us, to be honest with you," Giants defensive end Michael Strahan said yesterday. "I don't have the luxury of time, of sitting for two or three years until someone figures it out. And I think (Manning) is a great quarterback, a phenomenal talent, just like his brother. But it took his brother a few years to figure it out before he became the best in the game. I personally don't have time for that."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/st...p-161742c.html
Here is a quote from me:

"You are a great player and we would love to have you on our team. The question is would you be willing to play for a minimum and sacrifice some money to win a championship ring? We can't guarantee a championship but we do have a hall of famer coach and quality QB."

-saden
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-26-2004, 04:33 PM   #17
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1
Here is a quote from me:

"You are a great player and we would love to have you on our team. The question is would you be willing to play for a minimum and sacrifice some money to win a championship ring? We can't guarantee a championship but we do have a hall of famer coach and quality QB."

-saden
i don't know about trying to get him to play for the minimum salary but atleast a 2-5million dollar a year cut which could be made up for in a large signing bonus and maybe a little part could be recouped with incentives.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:39 PM   #18
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Since Strahan is under contract to the Giants, the team has to agree to trade him. If the Giants' FO has a cumulative IQ higher than a rutabaga, they are not going to trade Strahan to an NFC East team and have to play him twice a year.

If they go looking to trade Strahan there will be more than a couple of interested teams - particularly if Strahan is willing to redo his deal.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:44 PM   #19
Carnage
Special Teams

Furthermore, Strahan has been right up the road for each of our off-season binges, and he has personally experienced the result.
Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 05:40 PM   #20
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
NO NO No we have no money. You guys have forgotten that Synder balances our books and does a pretty shitty job on it. We have no money, and I don't thinkn Strahan is gonna want to play for free.
Please cite a single time that our offseason spending has gotten us into cap troubles. I think Snyder is a lot smarter than you think. In 2005 the cap will go way up, and we'll be free and clear.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 03:07 AM   #21
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

ny won't ley him go to washington, they already let to many defensive players come to us as it is. He is also old and could be bruce Smith part 2
diehardskin2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 03:28 AM   #22
offiss

The player's are right if you give collin's time he will kill you in the passing game, Acorsi doesn't seem to understand this, they will have a fun time this year protecting anyone, let alone a rookie, personally I think the giant's drafted the dummest of the Manning's.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:53 AM   #23
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

diehardskin2982:

I have to disagree. Michael Strahan is still a very good DE and barring a serious injury still has several years in him where he will be a standout DE.

By the time Bruce Smith showed up in Washington, he had already had at least one - and more truthfully two - years of diminished performance. Then he hung around here and clogged up the roster for a few years.

Strahan can play and can play very well as of 2004. The Skins won't get him because the Giants won't trade him here, but Michael Strahan is a whole lot better today than any DE that has been on the Redskins roster since Charles Mann was in his prime.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 02:29 PM   #24
diehardskin2982

sports:

I really think this would be another wreckless aquisition of a big name. Along with that big would come a big ego and a big salary. I really don't thing that should be the route the redskins should take. If we were to go after any DE like that it should be someone younger like the Dolphins DE who is their franchise player, it Ogi-something, i forget his name. because he alot younger & with the right tuteledge can make just as much of an impact if not more.

by the way how many Sacks did strahan get last season.

Last edited by diehardskin2982; 04-27-2004 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:46 PM   #25
Dave Butz Baby!
Special Teams

Here are the final sack totals from last year...

1. M. Strahan NYG 18.5
2. A. Ogunleye MIA 15
3. S. Rice TB 15
4. J. Taylor MIA 13
5. S. Ellis NYJ 12.5
Old 04-27-2004, 02:50 PM   #26
diehardskin2982

thanks Dave, what your opinion on this
Old 04-27-2004, 03:00 PM   #27
BrudLee
Playmaker

I'd say any player who can get 18.5 sacks when he is the only recognized pass rush threat still has a few seasons left in him. The question (since it certainly isn't about money) is, what would a player of his caliber play for, other than a ring? I wouldn't suggest league minimum, he is scheduled to earn 6.3 million. Would he play on another team for that amount? Does he even want to leave, or is he frustrated?
Old 04-27-2004, 03:01 PM   #28
hi-jinx
Special Teams

The Giants wouldn't trade him unless he makes it beyond clear he is not happy and they can get something good for him. And it would NEVER be for a team in the NFC east. Their fans would goes nutz everytime he got near Eli. Personally I think he would do very well for a team who was make 2-3 year real strong move. The Giants is about the worst place for the guy right now I think.

What do you all think would be a fair trade for him BTW?
hi-jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 03:12 PM   #29
Dave Butz Baby!
Special Teams

Hehehe.. my opinion? Buy low, sell high!

Speaking hypothetically and without going into the various scenarios as to how each player would come to us, I personally would like to have Strahan over Ogunleye, though they both have their merits.

Strahan is a proven commodity. Sure, I think Strahan has an ego, but he has earned it. He has achieved as many individual accolades as he can without a Super Bowl ring. I believe that's what he is hungry for... to win the big one. He has made his money. He was 60 minutes way from being world champs. That has got to leave a very empty feeling that I'm sure he'd like to fill.

Ogunleye is obviously quickly becoming a proven commodity. He's young and talented, but he was an undrafted free agent and seems to be in it for the payday now. I sure as hell don't blame him, nor do I think anyone on this board who has bills to pay could blame him. But like many young players who have exploded while playing under their initial rookie (cheap) contracts, that seems to be his focus right now. If were satisfied with being part of a winning team that has a chance to go to the SB, he would be doing everything he could within reason to stay in Miami... they have a shot to have one hell of a team this year. As what seems to happen so often with young guys looking for the big payday, they seem a little too willing to go to a weaker team just for the checks. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'd prefer not to see them as Skins.

Unless your name is Clinton Portis. Then I'd have to say "Welcome to DC!"

But then again, maybe I'm just saying Strahan because he seems like the kind of cool guy I would buy a beer for after striking up a conversion and "checking out the skirts" with during happy hour.

Hehehe... gimme 20 minutes and maybe I'll come back with Ogunleye over Strahan because of the age difference and "upside". Playing Devil's Advocate can be a blast.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:31 PM   #30
]<ing
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrudLee
I'd say any player who can get 18.5 sacks when he is the only recognized pass rush threat still has a few seasons left in him. The question (since it certainly isn't about money) is, what would a player of his caliber play for, other than a ring? I wouldn't suggest league minimum, he is scheduled to earn 6.3 million. Would he play on another team for that amount? Does he even want to leave, or is he frustrated?
I agree that Strahan is still a tremendous force to be reconed with, and would be a HUGE signing for us if it were to ever happen -- much different than the BSmith signing. That's a mighty big IF though. "Wale" is still too much of an unknown quantity, and had the benefit of the opposing teams focusing on trying to stop Jason Taylor. It remains to be seen what kind of production he can generate when he's not benefitting from a guy like Taylors presence. Plus his agent is BendUover, so it should be assumed that his asking price is insane.

Last edited by ]<ing; 04-27-2004 at 05:33 PM.
]<ing is offline   Reply With Quote