Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

what about this deal

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-27-2004, 04:10 PM   #1
jasonskin
Special Teams

what about this deal

I noticed we drafted 2 tackles and cleveland did not get the franchise left tackles they needed.Is it possible that we would trade Samuels for Courtney Brown.
jasonskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-27-2004, 04:25 PM   #2
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Maybe only because of Clevleands want for a Tackle. I doubt were gonna trade Samuels though. For the most part, I think whoever is on the roster now, is who we can plan on going to play with.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 04:28 PM   #3
Defensewins
Playmaker

CrazyCanuck
IF Samules is traded, do we suffer a cap hit? I would think so because of his large signing bonus. How much does he cost us if we get rid of him? How much does he cost if we cut him?
Defensewins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 04:30 PM   #4
beg8878
Special Teams

Courtney Brown would scare me...he is ALWAYS hurt.
beg8878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 04:38 PM   #5
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

I dont think we should get Courtney Brown, and I beleive Samuels would count around 6 million this year or something liek that..If hes cut before June 1st.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:42 PM   #6
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Defensewins, we suffer a hit this coming season, however this is the only season we would worry about it. So next season when he has like a 14 mill hit or whatever, its gone, hes not " Dead Money "
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 04:46 PM   #7
offiss

No brown, and if we did trade samuel's for a D-lineman, I would rather see if we could work out a trade for T. Harris, I don't know how sold I am on W. Smith. Besides how much stock can you put into 2 late rd. draft pick's at tackle, now if whiney has developed a little more, and the coaches think he's ready to handle the left tackle position, then we should explore it, but they have to make an evaluation on samuels first, do they think he's to slow footed to handle a speed rusher? Which to me seem's to be his problem, he can't slide to the outside and block the speed rusher's, then maybe we see what we can get.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 05:07 PM   #8
hi-jinx
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins
CrazyCanuck
IF Samules is traded, do we suffer a cap hit? I would think so because of his large signing bonus. How much does he cost us if we get rid of him? How much does he cost if we cut him?

I read somewhere( I think it was espn.com) that if we traded Sameuls before the June 1st cutoff, we would take a hit of just over 2 mil. which beats the 8 figure hit we may take next year. However some numbers of the cap hit are lot higher. That is unless he redo he contact. However he has so far said he would not and in part I dont blame him, he's reworked his contract twice so far. I think that if we were going to move him it would have been done by now but who knows.

Last edited by hi-jinx; 04-27-2004 at 05:18 PM.
hi-jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 06:42 PM   #9
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

brown has been a big bust so i wouldn't want to give up one of the top 5 tackles in the league for an expensive slightly above average player with injury problems. maybe if they included winslow.....
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 07:37 PM   #10
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins
CrazyCanuck
I don't have my numbers in front of me but I think it's as follows:

Samuels cut/traded before June 1st:
2004 cap hit = $8.7M
2005 cap hit = $0

Samuels cut/traded after June 1st:
2004 cap hit = $2.9M
2005 cap hit = $5.8M
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:38 PM   #11
PSUskinsfan11
Impact Rookie

Courtney Brown and LaVar reunited!!!!!! I love the idea. We might not have to give up Samules though I have seen rumors that could be released after june 1st. if we could get him to sign cheap i think he could really help us and i might seriously cry if i saw them line up like they used to in happy valley!!!!
PSUskinsfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:44 PM   #12
itvnetop
Playmaker

i still believe in samuels... i think he's going to do fine with bugel. he was great as a rookie (for a starting LT) and he was absolutely dominant in college. not ready to give up on him yet... he's still young. we've gotta figure out a way to work out his contract.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 09:46 PM   #13
hi-jinx
Special Teams

So if we wanted to trade Sameuls then it would be better to wait till after June 1st.
hi-jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:29 PM   #14
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

what's samuels cap hit right now? cuz if it's anywhere near the hit he'd take trading or cutting him pre-june 1st and we get a good enough of an offer for him, take it. i'd rather the cap hit be all this year if its gonna be around his cap figure instead of saving a few million this year and having 5+ million left to weigh us down next year.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 10:07 AM   #15
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru
what's samuels cap hit right now? cuz if it's anywhere near the hit he'd take trading or cutting him pre-june 1st and we get a good enough of an offer for him, take it. i'd rather the cap hit be all this year if its gonna be around his cap figure instead of saving a few million this year and having 5+ million left to weigh us down next year.
There is a major problem with taking all of the cap hit this year....Redskins do not have enough cap space to absorb this cap hit this year or next year. I think we have something like $1m-2m in cap space left. How do you plan to take a $8M cap hit when we only have $2M left in cap space?
Defensewins is online now   Reply With Quote