Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Washington Football > Locker Room Main Forum


Snyder (the absolute worst owner in all of sports) to stay on a owner

Locker Room Main Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2021, 02:31 PM   #166
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Jacksonville, Forida
Posts: 5,622
Re: Snyder to Stay on a Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
The stories you hear about Snyder are true. Dont look him in the eyes, call him Mr. Snyder if you must address him but dont address him.

Heard a story years ago and Ive said it here before

Ravens owner Steve Bischotti was hosting a party with some NFL owners and people. Dan Snyder shows up.

Steve: 'Hey Dan thanks for coming"
Mr. Snyder: 'Call me Mr. Snyder"
Steve: "GTFO here"

I dont know the exact words used but ive heard enough Snyder stories to believe this one
I heard this story from a guy who worked for the Ravens at the time. He was close friends with some high up Ravens executives, one of whom he said witnessed the event and told him about it. He didn't mention anything about Steve Bisschotti's response, or even if he responded. I always felt that the "Call me Mr. Snyder" part might be true.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-28-2021, 02:38 PM   #167
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY
Age: 49
Posts: 97,039
Re: Snyder to Stay on a Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins247 View Post
Makes you really wonder how he ever got Joe Gibbs to come back and coach for him...must've completely had Joe fooled...although I can't figure out how that was possible.
My guess is Joe knew exactly what he was getting into. But the timing was right, the money was right, and maybe he thought he could counsel Dan into being a better owner.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:59 PM   #168
JackLord
Special Teams
 
JackLord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 223
Re: Snyder to Stay on a Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
My guess is Joe knew exactly what he was getting into. But the timing was right, the money was right, and maybe he thought he could counsel Dan into being a better owner.
That was my hope at the time. Guess it didn't work.

Joe also spent more than a decade dealing with Jack Kent Cooke. Now, JKC was obviously a better owner than DS and certainly a classier individual. But he still had a titanic ego and life outlook out of the early 50s.

Win 3 Super Bowls with that breathing down your neck and you probably see Danny as bush league.
JackLord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 03:27 PM   #169
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY
Age: 49
Posts: 97,039
Re: Snyder to Stay on a Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLord View Post
That was my hope at the time. Guess it didn't work.

Joe also spent more than a decade dealing with Jack Kent Cooke. Now, JKC was obviously a better owner than DS and certainly a classier individual. But he still had a titanic ego and life outlook out of the early 50s.

Win 3 Super Bowls with that breathing down your neck and you probably see Danny as bush league.
True good point, after working with JKC he probably thought Dan would be a breeze.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:29 PM   #170
skinsfan69
Living Legend
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA and San Diego, CA
Posts: 15,433
Re: Snyder to Stay on a Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLord View Post
That was my hope at the time. Guess it didn't work.

Joe also spent more than a decade dealing with Jack Kent Cooke. Now, JKC was obviously a better owner than DS and certainly a classier individual. But he still had a titanic ego and life outlook out of the early 50s.

Win 3 Super Bowls with that breathing down your neck and you probably see Danny as bush league.
Cooke owned the team when there was no internet or social media. The horror stories about him were mostly kept out of the public eye. Had Cooke owned the team in this kind of era it would not be pretty.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:53 PM   #171
JackLord
Special Teams
 
JackLord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 223
Re: Snyder to Stay on a Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Cooke owned the team when there was no internet or social media. The horror stories about him were mostly kept out of the public eye. Had Cooke owned the team in this kind of era it would not be pretty.
What horror stories?
JackLord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:56 PM   #172
skinsfan69
Living Legend
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA and San Diego, CA
Posts: 15,433
Re: Snyder to Stay on a Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLord View Post
What horror stories?
Cooke basically disowned his own son ( Ralph) for several years. Also pretty much screwed John over when it came to getting the team, even though John was 10% owner.

He almost fired Gibbs after 5 games and made him and BB go to his house after games during that 0-5 start.

Also a lot of bad stories about him when he ran Lakers/Kings. Employees were subject to termination if they didn't pick up their phones after a certain amount of rings. Same stuff as Snyder... you didn't talk to him unless he talked to you. No one was allowed to call him anything but Mr. Cooke. When he talked to you you had to respond w, "Yes sir -no sir" No one was allowed to talk while at work or call each other by their first names. Really weird shit.

Dan is kind of a shitty guy but no one has heard anything about him being a crappy parent. Cooke on the other hand? idk..
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:41 PM   #173
punch it in
From a Land Down Under
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 50
Posts: 18,491
Re: Snyder to Stay on a Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLord View Post
What horror stories?

Like you said titanic ego and early 50ís outlook in life I believe is what he is getting out. More a product of his times while dan is just s douche.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:55 PM   #174
FrenchSkin
Playmaker
 
FrenchSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 3,721
Re: Snyder to Stay on a Owner

Sheehan had a long time very high level lawyer on his pod to talk about all this mess, what we can deduce from it, and where it's likely heading.

Must listen IMHO.

He says he was at zero percent chance Snyder is forced out a couple of days ago, but now with all of it surfacing again, and Goodell saying the reason the report can not be revealed is to protect the anonymity of the victims, which is false and will be easily countered, he'd put it at 20%.

An also interesting point is that if it became clear that the emails leaked indeed came from Snyder's camp, it could be something that the other owners look at and think "that's a redline, if you're stupid enough to leak things that will come back to hurt us all, just to get back at somebody you hate, you're forcing yourself out of the owners club". Like the toxic culture is one thing, and it can not be the only franchise where similar things happened, but hurting one of the club, potentially shooting yourself in the foot, harm the owners and league's interest, that could be enough for them to say "he doesn't belong".
__________________
Proud Ambassador of the Redskins French Nation
Team Heinicke Fan Club VP of Global Operations

Last edited by FrenchSkin; 10-28-2021 at 10:48 PM.
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:56 PM   #175
FrenchSkin
Playmaker
 
FrenchSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 3,721
Re: Snyder to Stay on a Owner

Another side note, this 10M$ fine that we all considered a slap on the wrist... is not even a slap on the wrist ! It's just an obligation to donate 10M to some organisations helping the cause of women... So obviously it's tax deductible... but more than that, the team is probably donating more than that to charity every year, so the only difference is this year part of it has to go to a specific cause. It is not even a fine.
__________________
Proud Ambassador of the Redskins French Nation
Team Heinicke Fan Club VP of Global Operations
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:32 PM   #176
JackLord
Special Teams
 
JackLord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 223
Re: Snyder to Stay on a Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Cooke basically disowned his own son ( Ralph) for several years. Also pretty much screwed John over when it came to getting the team, even though John was 10% owner.

He almost fired Gibbs after 5 games and made him and BB go to his house after games during that 0-5 start.

Also a lot of bad stories about him when he ran Lakers/Kings. Employees were subject to termination if they didn't pick up their phones after a certain amount of rings. Same stuff as Snyder... you didn't talk to him unless he talked to you. No one was allowed to call him anything but Mr. Cooke. When he talked to you you had to respond w, "Yes sir -no sir" No one was allowed to talk while at work or call each other by their first names. Really weird shit.

Dan is kind of a shitty guy but no one has heard anything about him being a crappy parent. Cooke on the other hand? idk..
Well, family disputes are complicated, especially among the high & mighty.

Almost only counts in horseshoes and he never fired Gibbs. The thought would cross most peoples' minds after 5 losses, but he did not act on it. Now, what would Danny have done?

With regards to the Lakers stuff, that was not considered unusual at all back then. Sign of the times. Plus there was no big money, let alone free agency, and athletes were generally more pliant. Different times.

Also, Cooke was a very regal figure for most of his like. Calling him Mr. Cooke or Sir was not only customary for those times, but also normal due to this stature. Mostly though, it was because Cooke accomplished great things and earned that deference and respect. Can anyone say the same about Snyder?

You raise an interesting point with regards to Cooke's son and the team. It looked like as you describe. But I have since heard that Cooke did that in a (boneheaded) move to reduce taxes or some such. I would chalk it up to the fact that most of his final decisions were characterized by questionable judgement- his final marriage, the design of FedEx field, stadium negotiations with DC that were at best neurotic. In short, Cooke had become a very old man who had diminished impulse control and perhaps diminished faculties.

So, I would not call those horror stories. They were simply accounts of man from a different age who lived in a world we can only imagine.
JackLord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:30 AM   #177
skinsfan69
Living Legend
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA and San Diego, CA
Posts: 15,433
Re: Snyder to Stay on a Owner

I could go on about Cooke, I use to know a PR lady who worked w/ the Redskins. I have been in PR/ marketing for a long time. Some of it is second hand info but I believe it. She handed me a book one day that Cooke's secretary wrote. I think I still have it laying around somewhere. It was hilarious how he acted, how bombastic he was. He was so on top of his business but a real mess in his personal life.

I didn't know this but Cooke was one of the pioneers in cable tv. He sent John to middle of nowhere Wisconsin to lay down cable wire back in the 60's.

Anyhow I never felt that bad for John. He didn't get the team but he did get around 100 million dollars. He has a top of the line winery out in Middleburg.

I wonder how this thing w/ Snyder will turn out. At this point I would prefer that he stay on just cause a new owner means a lot more change. It could mean early ownership Dan all over again. Even though we are losing this is the most stable we have been in a while.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 12:20 PM   #178
irish
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,402
Re: Snyder to Stay on a Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
My guess is Joe knew exactly what he was getting into. But the timing was right, the money was right, and maybe he thought he could counsel Dan into being a better owner.
Agree. The timing couldn't have been better for Joe. He needed the money and Dan obliged.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 12:57 PM   #179
mredskins
MVP
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,009
Re: Snyder to Stay on a Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I could go on about Cooke, I use to know a PR lady who worked w/ the Redskins. I have been in PR/ marketing for a long time. Some of it is second hand info but I believe it. She handed me a book one day that Cooke's secretary wrote. I think I still have it laying around somewhere. It was hilarious how he acted, how bombastic he was. He was so on top of his business but a real mess in his personal life.

I didn't know this but Cooke was one of the pioneers in cable tv. He sent John to middle of nowhere Wisconsin to lay down cable wire back in the 60's.

Anyhow I never felt that bad for John. He didn't get the team but he did get around 100 million dollars. He has a top of the line winery out in Middleburg.

I wonder how this thing w/ Snyder will turn out. At this point I would prefer that he stay on just cause a new owner means a lot more change. It could mean early ownership Dan all over again. Even though we are losing this is the most stable we have been in a while.
Are you watching a different show then us?

I would never use the word stability to describe the DS era ever.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:19 PM   #180
JackLord
Special Teams
 
JackLord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 223
Re: Snyder to Stay on a Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I could go on about Cooke, I use to know a PR lady who worked w/ the Redskins. I have been in PR/ marketing for a long time. Some of it is second hand info but I believe it. She handed me a book one day that Cooke's secretary wrote. I think I still have it laying around somewhere. It was hilarious how he acted, how bombastic he was. He was so on top of his business but a real mess in his personal life.

I didn't know this but Cooke was one of the pioneers in cable tv. He sent John to middle of nowhere Wisconsin to lay down cable wire back in the 60's.

Anyhow I never felt that bad for John. He didn't get the team but he did get around 100 million dollars. He has a top of the line winery out in Middleburg.

I wonder how this thing w/ Snyder will turn out. At this point I would prefer that he stay on just cause a new owner means a lot more change. It could mean early ownership Dan all over again. Even though we are losing this is the most stable we have been in a while.
He made sure John got his hands dirty and learned the business. Nothing wrong with that. In his admittedly rare interviews, John does not disparage his father but has criticism for Snyder.

Anyway, sure, JKC was a very animated and bombastic character. What he was not was sleazy, petty, and inattentive. JKC's record speaks for itself- no contest.

As for Snyder, I think he will survive because there is nothing horrid that can be directly attributed to him. And I think what we have seen is what the future holds.

IMHO there is something we all miss in Snyder's character. Sure, he "wants to win" but who doesn't? More than that though, he loves the "BIG SPLASH" i.e. huge deals and publicity. He is hopelessly and perpetually intoxicated by hiring, firing, trades, acquisitions, and media attention, negative though it may be. I would not doubt that part of him loves this investigation.

God help us.
JackLord is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We have no official affiliation with the Washington Football Team or the NFL. But our culture is damn good!
Page generated in 0.25326 seconds with 10 queries