Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Fantasy Football Forums > Fantasy Football

Seeking Advice

Fantasy Football

Old 10-01-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
franklinhimself
Special Teams

Seeking Advice

Need some advice here. A few friends said take this trade right off the bat, but I'm not so sure yet. What do you think?

My squad:
Garrard
V. Jackson
A. Boldin
M. Forte
K Smith
Cooley
K. Walter
Ahmad Bradshaw (Bench)
LenDale White (Bench)
J. Campbell (Bench)
Maurice Morris (bench, picked him up for K Smith's possible injury)

He is offering Santonio Holmes, Beanie Wells, and J Culter for Kevin Smith and Kevin Walter.

It drops my depth significantly at RB, though Beanie might pick up mid season, but i'm also skeptical about having Culter and Forte - as its a lot of reliability on the Bears offense.
franklinhimself is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: Seeking Advice

Well, you're better off starting Campbell over Garrard right now anyways, so getting Cutler could be an upgrade at QB. You'll need to get rid of Garrard then.

Beanie Wells is a very risky pickup. He's behind Hightower and can't get as many carries as expected because he has a severe fumbling problem. I do not trust him at all, which is why I have Hightower for RB depth on a few of my teams. Kevin Smith, if he's not severely injured after the Skins game, is far better.

Kevin Walter and Holmes are pretty even statistically. Holmes makes a lot of BIG catches, but hasn't hit 1000 yards yet and the Steelers have plenty of receiving options...so he's not "the man" as he's hyped to be after his SB-winning catch. He's more important to his real team than fantasy teams. Ward is still the #1 option there.

So the WRs are even. You'd be downgrading at RB and upgrading at QB. You'll also have to drop someone since the trade is uneven, but that would likely be Garrard or Morris. I'd prefer Morris, because then you could shop around Garrard, who isn't great but is not waiver wire material and can get you something in return for a team short a QB.

I think the trade would be worth it for the upgrade at QB. Even though you'll be very thin at RB, you still have enough bodies to compete with Forte and White as your likely starters, with Wells and Bradshaw for depth and byes.

I say do the trade and shop Garrard for another RB who could be a factor later in the year to due injury or their year hasn't taken off yet...someone like McCoy from Philly, Mendenhall from Pittsburgh or Moreno from Denver. You could even target a lesser name like Cadillac Williams, Michael Bush, Fred Taylor or even Hightower to complete your Arizona backfield to drop whoever loses that battle. With Cutler's INTs, you would be best-served to play matchups with him and Campbell, who has actually been solid in fantasy play this year. If I had started Campbell ahead of both DREW BREES and PHILLIP RIVERS on 2 of my teams last week, I would have won since JC significantly outscored those superstar QBs. He won't do it every week, but it proves his value.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinhimself View Post
Need some advice here. A few friends said take this trade right off the bat, but I'm not so sure yet. What do you think?

My squad:
Garrard
V. Jackson
A. Boldin
M. Forte
K Smith
Cooley
K. Walter
Ahmad Bradshaw (Bench)
LenDale White (Bench)
J. Campbell (Bench)
Maurice Morris (bench, picked him up for K Smith's possible injury)

He is offering Santonio Holmes, Beanie Wells, and J Culter for Kevin Smith and Kevin Walter.

It drops my depth significantly at RB, though Beanie might pick up mid season, but i'm also skeptical about having Culter and Forte - as its a lot of reliability on the Bears offense.
I wouldnt do that unless you send him a counter for a better RB other than Beanie.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
Schneed10
A Dude

Keep Walter and Smith.

Walter is a big important red zone target for Schaub in a very potent Houston passing attack that relies on its WRs for TDs. Slaton and Chris Brown are not good goalline backs; when they need to score they do it through the air to AJ, Walter, and Owen Daniels.

Kevin Smith is highly underrated because he can catch the ball out of the backfield. He's a threat to compile yards both on the ground and in the air, I think he's a 1600 total yards kind of guy.

Beanie is overrated, he'll never be able to pass block well enough to get on the field often enough to get featured carries. Holmes is decent, and Cutler is a nice QB. But Garrard isn't a bad fantasy QB (he runs, that gets overlooked, 30 yards of QB scrambles adds 3 points to his weekly total).
Old 10-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
franklinhimself
Special Teams

Thanks All
franklinhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I looked at it and thought - "Huh? why would you even consider this?".

As others have said, Beanie is trash, a complete non-factor. You can get him on the waiver wire next week. It's really, Holmes & Cutler for Smith & Walker. As Schneed said, Holmes and Walker are comparable - so that's a wash. Cutler for Smith? Cutler doesn't upgrade your passing attack much, if at all, and Smith is your top back.

The trade guts your running attack and only moderately upgrades your QB status. To me, it's a no-brainer refusal.