Parkland Shooting

Debating with the enemy

Old 02-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #31
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: Parkland Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins247 View Post
How about parents taking the most initiative here and knowing what the hell is going on with your kid?? These parents who can't believe that their child did this simply are horrible parents and didn't give a sh!t about their child. Nowadays every parent should have access to their kids social media pages, internet usage and phones and monitor them regularly. And why does your high school kid have access to a AR-15 in the first place! Parents if you have guns, lock them up in a safe. Parents HAVE to be the first step in trying to prevent these type of events!
You are right but it's all so part of the problem ....the parents.Many pro gun parents do have their children trained to handle guns and don't believe it can happen to them.Their kids are members of the NRA and such ,they have taken class's and such,it's why and how kids like this have the ways and means to have multiple guns.

This kid in FL bragged about his gun ownership,the kid from New-town was taught to handle guns by his own Mom and the kids from Columbine were jr NRA memebers. I am NOT BLAMING the NRA just pointing out that they been educated on and about guns. I live in the country of Maryland and when my kids went to high school(15 -20 years ago) they said it was not unusual for friends of theirs who would hunt with family and come straight to school after hunting at 3/4 am in the morning with their guns in their trucks ,some would bring the deer so they could give it to a teacher. It's a mind set.

Now they want to arm the teachers,what if a teacher doesn't want to carry a gun?

Advertisements
Old 02-16-2018, 02:57 PM   #32
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
You are right but it's all so part of the problem ....the parents.Many pro gun parents do have their children trained to handle guns and don't believe it can happen to them.Their kids are members of the NRA and such ,they have taken class's and such,it's why and how kids like this have the ways and means to have multiple guns.

This kid in FL bragged about his gun ownership,the kid from New-town was taught to handle guns by his own Mom and the kids from Columbine were jr NRA memebers. I am NOT BLAMING the NRA just pointing out that they been educated on and about guns. I live in the country of Maryland and when my kids went to high school(15 -20 years ago) they said it was not unusual for friends of theirs who would hunt with family and come straight to school after hunting at 3/4 am in the morning with their guns in their trucks ,some would bring the deer so they could give it to a teacher. It's a mind set.

Now they want to arm the teachers,what if a teacher doesn't want to carry a gun?
I grew up like this too...me and a lot of friends had a gun in our teens and you never heard of this sort of thing happening anywhere. There is a big difference between a teen having his own rifle to deer hunt with in hunting season and probably with a parent most of the time while doing so, and one that is able to grab any gun in the house and ammunition at any given time and stroll out the house with it. Just makes me wonder what has really changed over the years that is making these teens do things like this? Because there has always been angry, rebellious teenagers throughout the years....but nothing like this.
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #33
Dan73
Special Teams

Quote:
I grew up like this too...me and a lot of friends had a gun in our teens and you never heard of this sort of thing happening anywhere. There is a big difference between a teen having his own rifle to deer hunt with in hunting season and probably with a parent most of the time while doing so, and one that is able to grab any gun in the house and ammunition at any given time and stroll out the house with it. Just makes me wonder what has really changed over the years that is making these teens do things like this? Because there has always been angry, rebellious teenagers throughout the years....but nothing like this.
Guns were never put forth as a way to deal with other humans all the time.

When I was young body building and learning to fight or self defense was put forth as solutions to dealing with bullies or attackers.

Alarm systems and dogs as a way to protect your home.

Now it is guns are the solution to these things and once you accept lethal force as a means to deal with other humans in certain situations than the you see it as an answer to more problems.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Dan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:37 PM   #34
Schneed10
A Dude

Arming the teachers doesn't make sense to me. Placing armed security officers or police in schools does.

Teachers are trained to teach, security and police are trained to secure.

Today I've been successful in getting the matter of security in our school district on the agenda for the next school board meeting. After doing rough math, I've estimated that it would cost our school district $400K annually to place one armed security guard at each elementary school, and two at the middle school and two at the high school. That would cover their salaries for 180 days of 8-hour workdays.

That $400K works out to $25.61 in annual costs per household for our township.

After spending the better part of today organizing a lot of parental interest, I can't wait to be confronted with the question of cost. Show of hands, who thinks $25 per household is too expensive to safeguard our children? $30? $35?

Stop me when it gets too expensive to keep our children safe.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #35
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

1. I would love to see a plan in place similar to Australia in particular in regards to stricter requirements for registration of firearms and storage of firearms. They have even done stronger restrictions on automatic and semi automatic by decreasing available caliber along with a mandatory buy back. I would like that but am not naive enough to think that is plausible. Interestingly enough gun ownership and the number of guns have not declined in Australia despite the tough regulations.
2. I would also like to see better enforcement of current laws and closing of loopholes like the boyfriend loophole and the gun show loophole. We have legislation in place how about we enforce it and make it work.
BaltimoreSkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:33 AM   #36
dmek25
MVP

Quote:
How about parents taking the most initiative here and knowing what the hell is going on with your kid?? These parents who can't believe that their child did this simply are horrible parents and didn't give a sh!t about their child. Nowadays every parent should have access to their kids social media pages, internet usage and phones and monitor them regularly. And why does your high school kid have access to a AR-15 in the first place! Parents if you have guns, lock them up in a safe. Parents HAVE to be the first step in trying to prevent these type of events!
blaming parents? calling them bad parents when the kids act out? let me ask you something. do you think every inmate at every prison had bad parents? do you think that every adult that cheats on his/ her wife had bad parents? the guy that cant keep a job ? the woman that has different kids, to different fathers? being a parent involves showing your children right from wrong. to nuturing them when they are down. protecting them from unsafe situations, and suspicious people. picking them up when they fall down. but every child gets to a point in their life when they will make all of their own decisions. you can only hope they do what you have taught/ shown them. but there are no guarantees.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:40 PM   #37
MTK
\m/

So that good guy with a gun BS should be out the window right? The security guard at the school did nothing.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #38
Dan73
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
So that good guy with a gun BS should be out the window right? The security guard at the school did nothing.
Just more BS propaganda to sell guns.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #39
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
It continues to show that shootings are tragedies not talking points. Neither political side will ever learn that.

The security guard should be ashamed, and I am sure he is. He was there to save those kids lives and didn't. That doesn't mean that the whole concept of security guards should be thrown out.

But I am all for making Capitol Hill a gun free zone, if that is what politicians think keep our kids safest it should be good for them too. After all DC has great gun laws, so they should be perfectly safe.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:52 PM   #40
Dan73
Special Teams

Quote:
Unfortunately some of the worse parents are the ones with guns. They are the ones after a mass shooting are more worried about their guns then they are about the innocent people killed. Most people do honestly self evaluate themselves or their kids.

One of the most annoying things for me is seeing one of my douche bag cousins who post pictures of her with her guns or bows lecturing on Facebook the problem is parents knowing she isn't raising any of her kids.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #41
MTK
\m/

More guns = more problems

Arming teachers is just asinine

Now Trump is blaming video games? So guns in a video game are the problem but not the real ones? Brilliant
Old 02-23-2018, 01:14 PM   #42
Dan73
Special Teams

Quote:

Now Trump is blaming video games? So guns in a video game are the problem but not the real ones? Brilliant
Rap music, Marilyn Manson, video games, medications and parents. But never ever the guns or the ads used to sell them.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #43
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

Sorry Matty, I know we disagree on all this stuff, but the bolded line is pure BS.

Are you saying Baltimore Police should be unarmed? Md has decent gun laws. Again, let the politicians go without their armed guards, and see how that fares.

Bad people doing bad things is bad for those who are devastated by it. Politicians making bad laws immediately after bad things happen is bad for the future of our society.

At least Trump is talking about ALL the aspects, mental health, gun ownership ages, yes, even video games can feed an unhealthy mentality. Liberals want to act like a gun free zone would save the world. It won't, ever.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #44
MTK
\m/

F it let’s just arm everyone Wild West style

Guns don’t solve problems or prevent them
Old 02-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #45
MTK
\m/

One of the laziest arguments out there is trying to blame video games