Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Respect

Debating with the enemy

Old 01-20-2017, 08:42 AM   #1
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Respect

Today is President Obama's last day as president of the US, and, even I grew to be ardently against his policies (I wasn't at first - you can check posts from his 1st inauguration on this site), I respect that he worked hard every day for this country doing what he felt was the best for the USA.

I am sure others here have more items then me to say they liked or appreciated, so here is a thread to simply say thanks for serving. Other threads have debates, I don't mean this one as a rehash of ACA, or any other decision. Maybe it's a pointless thread as obviously President Obama will not see it [tinfoil]or will he[/tinfoil] but still it deserves to be said that the office of the President is a 24 hour 7 day a week responsibility, and at the end of 8 years if a man endures that long I hope every US Citizen understands and appreciates that he deserves the gratitude and respect of every one living in our country.

Some accomplishments I give him credit for:

overseeing an economy that was in deep recession, and not letting it go into a cataclysmic depression
giving voice to social cultures that were (and are) still unaccepted by cultural conservatives
capturing Bin Laden

Again Thanks President Obama for the sacrifice of serving that you offered this country.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Respect

For me, Im very proud as a nation to have been apart of a generation that elected the first African American President - twice. It speak volumes, sets an example of how a freely elected democracy can give a voice for all. It surely tells us just how far we have come and we should be proud.

Obama is a great man, one of integrity, great speaker, and gave a very human element to the office. Sometimes leaders are kinda set on a pedestal...unjustly...but he is the type of man who you run into in the street, bar, etc and have a conversation with. He will be missed when it comes this quality.

No matter what the media tries to sell you, as it works to divide us...this would have never happened under the America they attempt to portray. remember that.

When it comes to accomplishments...how could we ever forget the picture from the office of the Obama and staff as they watched our military kill Bin Laden? Crowning jewel imo. I think the economy recovery will be big for his legacy, but most people who followed the recovery know the Fed Monetary policy drove that recovery....its not like Pres Bill Clinton who actually worked and past legislation (oh and deregulation which lead to the housing crisis) with the "Balance Budget Amendment".

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:12 AM   #3
MTK
\m/

Thanks Obama for my recent raise, probably the last one I'll see for a while.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #4
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Thanks Obama for my recent raise, probably the last one I'll see for a while.
I haven't seen one in 3 years (bonuses yes but no base raise) maybe that right there is a difference worth noting.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:25 AM   #5
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
For me, Im very proud as a nation to have been apart of a generation that elected the first African American President - twice. It speak volumes, sets an example of how a freely elected democracy can give a voice for all. It surely tells us just how far we have come and we should be proud.

Obama is a great man, one of integrity, great speaker, and gave a very human element to the office. Sometimes leaders are kinda set on a pedestal...unjustly...but he is the type of man who you run into in the street, bar, etc and have a conversation with. He will be missed when it comes this quality.

No matter what the media tries to sell you, as it works to divide us...this would have never happened under the America they attempt to portray. remember that.

When it comes to accomplishments...how could we ever forget the picture from the office of the Obama and staff as they watched our military kill Bin Laden? Crowning jewel imo. I think the economy recovery will be big for his legacy, but most people who followed the recovery know the Fed Monetary policy drove that recovery....its not like Pres Bill Clinton who actually worked and past legislation (oh and deregulation which lead to the housing crisis) with the "Balance Budget Amendment".
It certainly was more than just Pres Obama to guide the economy, but as President he bore the responsibility of (and the ability to) not letting it spiral out of control, and I give him thanks/credit for that.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:50 AM   #6
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I haven't seen one in 3 years (bonuses yes but no base raise) maybe that right there is a difference worth noting.

Now I just hope my agency doesn't get gutted, while I doubt it and Trump has said he doesn't want to touch Social Security, guys like Paul Ryan scare me.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #7
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Now I just hope my agency doesn't get gutted, while I doubt it and Trump has said he doesn't want to touch Social Security, guys like Paul Ryan scare me.
Thanks Obama for letting me get to retirement and as was mention I'll be fine if Trump sticks to his word and leaves SS alone .
Old 01-20-2017, 01:07 PM   #8
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Cred u really watered down the Trump thread with this classy post. Damn you.
Anyway I just want to say that agree or disagree- yes he thought he was doing what was right for the country as a whole. And he did it with class. Him and his family. Classy every step of the way.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #9
Schneed10
A Dude

Obama and Reagan, neck and neck for best president of my 37 year old lifetime.

He did an excellent job. You never agree with all of it, no matter which side of the aisle you're on. But he did a terrific job.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:23 PM   #10
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Cred u really watered down the Trump thread with this classy post. Damn you.
Anyway I just want to say that agree or disagree- yes he thought he was doing what was right for the country as a whole. And he did it with class. Him and his family. Classy every step of the way.

We're going from total class to all out trash. Sigh.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:27 PM   #11
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

nvm.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:49 PM   #12
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Who gives respect gets respect.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:30 PM   #13
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Obama and Reagan, neck and neck for best president of my 37 year old lifetime.

He did an excellent job. You never agree with all of it, no matter which side of the aisle you're on. But he did a terrific job.
I thought you didn't do drugs?

He Gets Us
Old 01-20-2017, 08:39 PM   #14
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I thought you didn't do drugs?
Didn't like Obama? If you're intellectually honest, how can you dispute these facts:

- inherited unemployment rate of 7.9%, left it at 4.9%
- reduced the deficit
- inflation stayed under 2.0%
- oversaw the lowest mortgage rates of all time
- longest consecutive period of GDP growth in history, albeit more tempered than typical

I have HUGE problems with his approach to foreign policy. I think Iran, Russia, and Syria are pretty much doing whatever they want. But it's the economy, stupid. The most important issue by far for most American voters and it's really hard to complain given the shit show Bush handed to him.

Keep in mind if you don't argue using facts and figures I will fuck you up. I insist on objectivity or you will come out looking like an ass.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:10 AM   #15
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Hey bud…like I stated above, the fed monetary policy garners most if not all the credit for the recovery. The Obama admin did pass the stimulus/bailout which was already in the works from the bush admin and wasn't groundbreaking economic policy, but just a predictable response. But the fed was given the autonomy to attack the issue using all of their powers from Obama and t. geither- the fed was not being directed by the president.
This is the wsj article I read sometime last year at work from my old boss…penned b bernacke this is the strategy they used, results: How the Fed Saved the Economy - WSJ. So if you want to give credit to Obama for deferring, go ahead. Those in the know, know. We know it's the slowest economy GDP growth pre ww2. We also know 19.6 national debt is crisis-level. We know Obama did cut the deficit from record levels when he took office because of the money it took for bailout and stimulus so that's zero surprise…plus he forced too on budget negotiations with congress. But to say he is the reason for the recovery is foolish. Job growth was great though, no doubt…but wage growth was severely lacking.

There are other things that could have stimulated the economy which the president could have chosen to pursue, tax reform for one and he does have line item veto, which he could have used against the over-regulated Dodd-frank bill he signed. Now this was a disaster in a lot of areas…but u want to know why growth was slow? This is a major reason…the financial system had to hoard cash to meet capitalization guidelines…couldn't lend, couldn't spend to grow, and had to cut hundreds of thousands of jobs.

Anyways, my comment was light hearted, I respect your opinion as always…differences of opinions makes life great.

Interesting you don't want to acknowledge foreign policy, because this is Obama major problem…he's been worse since jimmy carter. But then you say Reagan was a great president in which he is largely regarded as a great president due to his handling of foreign policy issues.

He Gets Us