Alex Smith Cut (update: retired)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-22-2021, 02:37 PM   #91
SunnySide
Playmaker

Re: Alex Smith Cut (update: retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriSkin View Post
I’m getting a little tired of Alex whining in these articles. Lost just about all respect for him. Sad really.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...eback-si%3famp.
If he got injured again .. wouldnt we not be able to cut him and have to do an injury buyout, costing the team more then what he already cost us?

Team wanted to him to retire to save us from his huge cap ramifications.

Alex Smith wanted to get as much of that contact money as he possibly could before we cut him as his last pay day.

We were dumb to give him that kind of contract nobody saw coming.

"Patronizing" is the right word bc there was no way he could be a starting QB in this league again. Yet he wanted to pretend he could still play 16?

RR was supposed to go along with pretending he was anything but an injury liability?

His calf getting muscle cramps and fatigue after 3 or so games proves it.

Take your millions and gtfo here.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-22-2021, 02:50 PM   #92
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I don't understand why they gotta scapegoat Ron in this.

Why can't it just be an incredible story of overcoming the odds?

Why is it bad that Ron did what he did? Of course he wanted to push Alex to the limit before putting him back on the field, he had to make sure that leg could stand up to the rigors of the season (which it didn't).

If Alex really doesn't have any animosity towards us anymore he's doing a shit job of showing it. And if any other team was willing to pretend there weren't any concerns at this stage about his leg Alex would be signed by now.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:40 PM   #93
artmonk81
Camp Scrub

Smile Re: Alex Smith Cut (update: retired)

Alex was courageous and an inspiration to us all! Wishing him a happy and healthy retirement!
artmonk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:57 PM   #94
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriSkin View Post
I’m getting a little tired of Alex whining in these articles. Lost just about all respect for him. Sad really.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...eback-si%3famp.
Yeah, at first I was like "wait, why would they have him carry extra wait weight and all"... But yeah, obviously because it's still a lot safer than having Aaron Donald jumping on your back every 2 minutes for 3 hours (notasexualmetaphornotasexualmetaphornotasexualmet aphor), and nobody could really believe he was going to be an NFL starter, and this team especially was not the one to take any chance with it.

Just a case of Alex letting his pride speak (understandable, he needed lots of it), and media craving for clickbait/Washington bashing stories.

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2021, 10:06 PM   #95
VTSkins1961
Special Teams

Alex Smith - Very courageous. Losing respect for him every time he bashes WFT. Reality is no one wants him as a starting QB. Teams (rightfully so) think the risk is too great that he will seriously re-injure his leg (not talking about a calf strain here). As competitive as he is the right choice is for him to retire so that he can spend time with his family and live at least a half-way normal life. His fate was sealed when his leg was gruesomely broken. So he should move and be thankful for the career he had. I think he would make a great QB coach if he desired it.

Last edited by VTSkins1961; 04-25-2021 at 10:08 PM. Reason: add more to it
VTSkins1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:22 AM   #96
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I don't understand why they gotta scapegoat Ron in this.

Why can't it just be an incredible story of overcoming the odds?

Why is it bad that Ron did what he did? Of course he wanted to push Alex to the limit before putting him back on the field, he had to make sure that leg could stand up to the rigors of the season (which it didn't).

If Alex really doesn't have any animosity towards us anymore he's doing a shit job of showing it. And if any other team was willing to pretend there weren't any concerns at this stage about his leg Alex would be signed by now.
Smith is being emotional, not rational, like a woman scorned. He wanted desperately to play again, and not having any team offer him even a backup role is tough medicine. He wants someone to blame, and RR and Skins for not supporting him more is a logical human reaction. No athlete wants their career to end like that. Not defending him, he is being a little bitch, but the behavior is nonetheless understandable. He got paid $50M+ while contributing almost nothing, you are right, but in the end, it is back on THE DAN for ignoring FO, forcing the trade, overpaying in trade, and signing to horrible deal. Funny how most all problems go back to THE DAN.

RR is not a liar. He may be leaving much out to be tactful, but I believe him when he says playing Smith scared him. He almost lost his leg and died once, what if it gets cracked again with our shitty situation at tackle and he is an amputee or dies? Hell of a thing to have on conscience, like RGIII knee blowout but million times worse. We only kept Smith as long as we did because his contract was the gorilla on our back. The real lesson here is not to hate on Smith, but THE DAN. Smith never should have been a Redskin in the first place. How many stopgap place holders will we have to go through at QB? Going all the way back to McNabb and earlier.

It is kind of sad to see Smith debasing himself in the end rather than heading out to pasture with dignity. So many athletes are delusional about their ability to play long after Glory Days fade, Smith just latest example. He again was never a great QB totally healthy, mediocre absolute best.

You still hope our FO likes a later QB and is being brilliant in keeping totally quiet about it.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:25 AM   #97
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSkins1961 View Post
Alex Smith - Very courageous. Losing respect for him every time he bashes WFT. Reality is no one wants him as a starting QB. Teams (rightfully so) think the risk is too great that he will seriously re-injure his leg (not talking about a calf strain here). As competitive as he is the right choice is for him to retire so that he can spend time with his family and live at least a half-way normal life. His fate was sealed when his leg was gruesomely broken. So he should move and be thankful for the career he had. I think he would make a great QB coach if he desired it.
He also cannot perform his job. He has pathetic mobility after injury, can't plant, etc.

He should be grateful he had an owner, THE DAN, dumb enough to sign him to one of worst contracts in NFL history so he can limp off into the sunset with $60M+ for contributing nothing.

I want a QB coach who actually won something while playing the position. Might as well hire Tony Romo to teach a QB how not to choke, as Smith to teach QBs how to be great. You can only teach what you know. Nothing personal, but no thanks.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:32 AM   #98
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Is Smith driving all of this "controversy" or is the media overblowing things? We need to be careful. Alex has always seems like the definition of class over his career. I'd hate to see him get taken down by tabloid-like reporting trying to create something where it isn't.

I mean, most of these headlines I'm seeing on Yahoo News, which is absolute trash.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:49 AM   #99
MTK
\m/

Blame the media? Alex has pretty much doubled down on what he said in the GQ article. He's keeping this drama going.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:02 AM   #100
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Is Smith driving all of this "controversy" or is the media overblowing things? We need to be careful. Alex has always seems like the definition of class over his career. I'd hate to see him get taken down by tabloid-like reporting trying to create something where it isn't.

I mean, most of these headlines I'm seeing on Yahoo News, which is absolute trash.
Tabloid??? Sports Illustrated and GQ??? I like AS his comeback was nothing short of a miracle. I got to back RR and TWFT here. The franchise has a history of QB's with broken legs as we know and they were looking out for all evolved and for that I don't blame them . As for RR he was doing the same .I'm sure AM is disappointed and sour but none, none of it was the Teams fault or the Coach's .
Old 04-26-2021, 12:38 PM   #101
Monkeydad
Living Legend

You're calling Sports Illustrated and GQ legitimate media sources?

There's no way to say the the team has "a history of broken legs" any more than you can blame the Giants franchise for players BLOWING THEMSELVES UP (Jason Pierre-Paul and Plaxico Burress). The teams have no blame in these incidents.
Old 04-26-2021, 03:50 PM   #102
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

I really do not think anyone can change the public’s opinion on the WFT, Snyder has done a spectacular job for 30 years all by himself.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 03:59 PM   #103
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
You're calling Sports Illustrated and GQ legitimate media sources?
The SI and GQ articles are 100% legit. There are literally direct quotes from Smith, his wife, and his father in the articles. How is this even a debate?
Old 04-26-2021, 06:56 PM   #104
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Blame the media? Alex has pretty much doubled down on what he said in the GQ article. He's keeping this drama going.
Personally I'm not questioning the sources, but I don't think we should overreact and hate on Alex either.
The team did nothing wrong to him IMO, all the contrary... but he needed to be a in pride driven mindset of "let's show every body how wrong they are, how I'll make this one in a million chance work out".
So the fact that he had bad feeling towards those who, legitimately, were doubtful and didn't believe he could do it is understandable.

Now, he definitely should know better, understand the situation, be thankful for the opportunity and walk away with class.

My issue with the media here is we know for a fact they are craving for those kind of stories and have to be pushing to get the narrative of the incredible come back story against all odds and even his own coaching staff... "But Alex, did they support you ? Did you feel like they believed in you ? etc...".
Old 04-27-2021, 04:41 AM   #105
AnonEmouse
The Starter

And how would we know what was edited out?
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote