WFT Quarterback Thread - Post SEASON 2021

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-06-2021, 07:41 PM   #1
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: WFT Quarterback Thread - Post SEASON 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
Yeah. How about $100K he isn't traded in the next 60 days?

This will ultimately be an ownership decision.

Watson should have thought of all this BEFORE inking his huge contract.

Period.

It wasn't a newsflash that Houston blows.

A contract that big represents a long-term commitment by a team, and hoses them cap-wise if they try and get out from under it.

They trade Watson, 8 players are on the phone a week later wanting to renegotiate, trade, etc.

No way that is allowed.

They at a minimum are going to let the new FO try and schmooze him coming into camp. And if he is an a-hole, and by definition no matter what he says inking that contract and pulling this makes him an a-hole, they'll let him sit out for $50K a day in fines and go after his bonus money. $350K a week for a couple months, then losing $2M a week in game checks. We'll see how that sits with him by week 8 o 9. Money he can NEVER recover. The new CBA hammers players for this BS. Players can say it isn't about the money, but we'll see when Watson is giving up $30M+ in income for the year, plus is on the hook for his signing bonus and has a net income of -$5M for the year or whatever. This is after he already paid 50% tax rate on it all. Ownership has all the leverage. This is why they are quiet and saying all the right things and Watson is acting like the little bitch he is. I don't want a HOLE like that on my team, because he has no honor and his word means nothing.

The owner is simply going to say: fuck this guy I wrote a $30M check to who goes back on his word. Let him sit and eat the shitburger. The media and fans will go wild. The billionaire owner sitting on his yacht will not care. It will become greaseball shizznit, him simply saying, screw anyone who tries to screw me this bad. And we know Texans owner is racist and believes "the inmates shouldn't run the prison" or whatever he once said. You think that guy is going to have Watson dictate things? Or set the precedent of letting the players manage the team. LOL. Dream the F on, Homers.

And even if he was available, 3 1s or whatever for him is not worth it. Take away the running, he is a very good but not great QB, and running QBs eventually get pummeled and injured all the time. I'll let the Homers resume the absurdity previously in session. . .
The same logic in terms of fines was used to say TW would not leave. Do you realize how much money Watson has vs the fine that will be applied. It like me saying i am going to charge you a penny for every word you put in a post. It would be a nice sum, but not enough to shorten your posts.

That said, if they get a Stafford deal or better damn straight they are trading him and not putting up with that.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:14 AM   #2
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
The same logic in terms of fines was used to say TW would not leave. Do you realize how much money Watson has vs the fine that will be applied. It like me saying i am going to charge you a penny for every word you put in a post. It would be a nice sum, but not enough to shorten your posts.

That said, if they get a Stafford deal or better damn straight they are trading him and not putting up with that.

TW situation not remotely similar to Watson. Watson signed a $150M deal just 5 months ago (technically 4 year $177M but some of that incentives he may never see). Trent had sacrificed for franchise almost a decade and could have died from medical ineptitude, and wasn't in first year of FAT new deal. Not even the same sport. Watson didn't possibly die from incompetent medical diagnosis way Trent did. Dead money (or lost money in terms of signing bonus) for trading Trent wasn't outlandish because he wasn't in FIRST year of sixth-a-billion-dollar deal. Etc.

You don't like length, don't read them, ad hominem attack ignored.

No, they aren't trading Watson. And I would seriously bet you the $100K. If a trade happens, it certainly isn't until the new staff has at least gotten him into camp and tried to repair relationship, and that isn't next 60 days. They have almost certainly already received offers for 2 #1s plus more, more than the Stafford deal. They could have probably easily pulled the trigger for at least 2 #1s and 2 #2s if they wanted, and probably a hell of a lot more.

This is NOT about trade value to ownership. It is about a guy taking piles of money from them and then having NO loyalty.

The team holds ALL the cards. Watson can report or not report, he can't force a trade. If he doesn't report, he starts losing money at a furious rate. He may care about being on a team he likes more than the money, but he should have thought of that before signing new deal, and no one who isn't a billionaire can shrug off those kinds of financial losses. Watson made about $13-$15M on rookie deal, say $15M. $7.5M after taxes, $7M after agent fees. He then probably bought a house for a million or two, he bought a jaguar for his Mom, etc. The usual sound pro athlete financial decisions. I'd be stunned if he had $5M left in bank off his rookie deal after paying his agent's fees, taxes, and the house and bling. $27M signing bonus new deal, and team structured deal with very little add'l money year 1, as is common, say about $3M in pay besides bonus. $30M, $15M in taxes, just under a million agent fees, $14M left, he went out and bought his agent a $300K car, all kinds of gifts for everyone, because he takes care of people, in his words. Let's be really optimistic. $21M in cash from rookie deal and 1st year second deal, minus and at least a few million in various purchases. I would be stunned if he has $15M liquid in the bank, and my guess would be less than $10M. Not chump change, but not walk away for life money. I honestly think the owner of Texans, it is now the old fart's son, sees things the EXACT same way his father would have. He won't care about the public pressure. He's a billionaire. He'll tell Watson he's not getting traded and mean it, and let him sit going broke year after year.

Watson is such a hole. He demanded a no trade clause in his contract, so team can't trade him unless he agrees with destination, and then demands a trade. What an absolute HOLE. And another reason Texans won't trade him, they can't control where he goes. They are NOT playing bitch to a player like that. Maybe other owners, NOT the Texans. They will absolutely let him sit, burn cash with NO income month after month, and $50K a day fines off his salary, until he earns almost nothing for the season even if he reports.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:14 PM   #3
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Watson will get traded eventually and it’ll probably be to Miami. They have the picks and QB to do it. Houston can’t make Watson play, and he said he’s 100% done there.

If we give 2 first for Carr I’ll be pissed. He’s not even that much better than Kirk if he even is at all.

I’d give up two 1s for Fields or Wilson and I hope that’s what happens at the end of the day.

Keep Alex for one more year but reduce his salary if he is willing to do so and bring Fields in to learn under him. Rivera played Cam his whole rookie season so he’s not scared to do that I’m sure with Fields or Wilson even.

If Dallas is stupid enough to let Dak walk then you go all in for him but I highly doubt that happens.

We are really down to a few options guys and trading up seems to be the most realistic.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:15 PM   #4
EdmundDorf
The Starter

I have been thinking that if Wentz really wants to leave Philly then they will approach him to re-structure his deal to facilitate the trade, so the cap hit won't be as bad
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 01:17 PM   #5
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
I have been thinking that if Wentz really wants to leave Philly then they will approach him to re-structure his deal to facilitate the trade, so the cap hit won't be as bad

No to Wentz. He’s injury prone and honestly I have bad vibes from the Mcnabb trade.

I’m tired of other teams Washed QBs. Trade up for one of these guys this year and build around him.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:26 PM   #6
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
No to Wentz. He’s injury prone and honestly I have bad vibes from the Mcnabb trade.

I’m tired of other teams Washed QBs. Trade up for one of these guys this year and build around him.
Also not interested in Wentz. Hearing Indy, Chicago, or possibly New England if he gets moved. Thought Philly was wanting to keep him with the new coach. Guess not lol.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 02:29 PM   #7
EdmundDorf
The Starter

For the record I am not interested in Wentz either, but if Philly manages to to trade him it keeps the carousel moving and fills another spot.

Would you trade 19th pick and Payne to get into the top 5-7 picks
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 02:33 PM   #8
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
For the record I am not interested in Wentz either, but if Philly manages to to trade him it keeps the carousel moving and fills another spot.

Yes I would make that deal to grab Fields or Wilson
Old 02-06-2021, 02:40 PM   #9
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

No i would not trade up in the draft at all. It is one thing to trade for proven nfl talent, another to trade away picks and talent for an unproven rookie.

CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 02:51 PM   #10
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
No i would not trade up in the draft at all. It is one thing to trade for proven nfl talent, another to trade away picks and talent for an unproven rookie.

This...especially with so many QB with questions this year. Lawrence seems very certain and unanimous top qb.

I have serious doubts with every other QB talent. Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, etc.

Sit at 19 and if you like a QB take him.

I really think Carr and Watson aren’t going anywhere.

Wentz...well what I read this morning is growing feeling Eagles will go and trade him...which is mind blowing when it comes to the cap hit. But no way would the Eagles trade him to the Skins.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 02:57 PM   #11
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

If Chicago is where Wentz goes, the irony is Foles may go back to Philly where he won a Super Bowl. Philly would literally be reversing a previous qb decision.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 04:21 PM   #12
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skinsinator View Post
If Chicago is where Wentz goes, the irony is Foles may go back to Philly where he won a Super Bowl. Philly would literally be reversing a previous qb decision.
I thought Foles was a FA and signed with Jacksonville after he left the Eagles?
Old 02-06-2021, 03:04 PM   #13
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
This...especially with so many QB with questions this year. Lawrence seems very certain and unanimous top qb.

I have serious doubts with every other QB talent. Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, etc.

Sit at 19 and if you like a QB take him.

I really think Carr and Watson aren’t going anywhere.

Wentz...well what I read this morning is growing feeling Eagles will go and trade him...which is mind blowing when it comes to the cap hit. But no way would the Eagles trade him to the Skins.
If u don't gamble u will be stuck in the same situation next yr.. Scared money doesn't make any money as they say. Riverboat Ron will get something done
Old 02-06-2021, 05:08 PM   #14
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
If u don't gamble u will be stuck in the same situation next yr.. Scared money doesn't make any money as they say. Riverboat Ron will get something done
Maybe you will, but our moves should not be about next year, but rather the next decade. No move can be better than a bad move. Scared money doesn't make money, but taking risk for the mere sake of it with a short-term perspective makes you broke. What all posters on this board seem to be afraid of is drafting a QB. The prudential risk is not to sink multiple picks into veteran QBs who are clearly not franchise QBs, but rather to take multiple chances in the draft. With great GMs, which we don't have, you'll end up with a franchise QB.

Finding a franchise QB usually doesn't happen overnight. It is a long-term process. KC had a SB roster, did you see them mortgage the future for a retread? No, they drafted a QB, and let him sit a year. Sure all the Homers on their fanboard were saying we'll lose our window, etc. Without a franchise QB you don't have a window, and the ONLY way you get a franchise QB, especially long-term, is to draft one.

I would argue we could start Heinicke next year and have a better QB than Smith, Allen, or anyone else we have started in a half decade at least. I would also argue that Heinicke has as much upside as most of the players people are saying we should trade for, the Watson delusion notwithstanding. He is not surefire, but going into camp with him and 2 drafted rookies and Allen would be okay, with the 2 rookies ideally displacing Allen. And if at the end of next year, we don't have QB solved, we have added more talent via draft to fill GAPING holes in roster and have all our future picks, rather than a decent but never-win-the-SB QB with a huge contract we can't get out of (see Smith) and a shortage of picks for 2-3 upcoming drafts.

It may take 2-3 years to find a franchise QB. They aren't falling out of trees like coconuts. To get a franchise QB, you have to be smarter than the average bear, and that means being patient, taking the long view, and most of all being smart and committing to building through the draft.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:44 PM   #15
Scalper

Quote:

No. The only trades we should be making are DOWN, to get more picks.

Imagine what this team looks like next year after draft if we don't squander any picks. We fill LT,CB,WR,MLB,FS,QB with quality guys on rookie deals. Say we hit at 50% rate over next two drafts, find quality starters at all these positions on rookie deals, lock up all our young guys coming off rookie deals (which IS possible if you dump Smith and don't pay a mediocre or above average QB $28M a year). Plus a few quality depth players. Now imagine present DL minus perhaps one guy, with a STUD thumper MLB, and a true shutdown corner plus Fuller plus a real FS. Plus enough skill position talent on O that McL isn't triple covered all game. . .

I would be fine going into camp with 2 rookies and Heinicke. I think they will go into camp with one FA (not trade) and one rookie and Heinicke and Allen and let them compete. Allen knows system but very minimal upside, hoping he is odd man out. I would rather have a guy like Heinicke as backup minimum, he has some moxy at least as backup off bench, and could very well earn starting job. Not that he would be my only plan. All this incessant talk about completely mortgaging the future. That is NOT how dynasties are built. We basically need to hit on every one of our first 4 picks at high-leverage positions, LT,CB,WR,QB, but I think one of those picks will be on a MLB thumper if board falls right way, meaning it is still next year's draft until we fill the five high leverage positions with young talent. As of now we have only filled one of these positions, edge rusher, with Young. I see McL as a #2, I love him, but we still need a traditional big-bodied #1, but you could argue he is a stud WR and I wouldn't disagree, which means we need 3 of the 5 high leverage positions.