Redhawks 5 5.38%
Redhogs 5 5.38%
other 14 15.05%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2021, 02:54 PM   #826
MTK
\m/

Re: Come up with a new name for the Redskins

Ditch the song as far as I'm concerned that died with the name. Time to move on.

Advertisements
Old 06-17-2021, 03:00 PM   #827
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
I know very few people that defaulted to the original name, even smaller amount outside of WFT fans. I also don't understand the logic that this is Snyder's game plan. What does he have to gain from a handful of people still calling them the Redskins? It definitely does not add any merchandise revenue any more.

Odd when this subject was broached (Usually due to something I was wearing or if I was at a place watching a game) just about everyone I've run across (mainly strangers to me) stated they still call them the Redskins (this included other team fans - especially those from the NFC East).
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:02 PM   #828
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Ditch the song as far as I'm concerned that died with the name. Time to move on.
Not sure that is entirely accurate - as the name doesn't seem to have died. It may yet depending on what the team decides to settle on.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:38 PM   #829
MTK
\m/

The name is officially gone. People can still call them the Redskins, but that's not the name despite how much fuss anyone puts up.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:57 PM   #830
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
The name is officially gone. People can still call them the Redskins, but that's not the name despite how much fuss anyone puts up.

Well there is no disputing that it is officially gone. But I don't think that makes it dead. It's dejure verus defacto at this point.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:00 PM   #831
MTK
\m/

If you want to truly re-brand, you can't hold on to things like the fight song. There needs to be a clean slate with a re-branding.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:13 PM   #832
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
If you want to truly re-brand, you can't hold on to things like the fight song. There needs to be a clean slate with a re-branding.
And that is the crux of the matter - does the team (ie Snyder) really want to re-brand? BTW What do they do when fans sing the fight song, wear/display Redskins gear etc.?
Old 06-17-2021, 04:25 PM   #833
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
Come on let's be real - those singing in the stands will ignore any rewrites and go with the original.
Well .. we changed it from "fight for old dixie" to "dc" but I half agree.
-------------------

I think finding something to go with "washington" is difficult. Just seems Washington Warriors is the only halfway decent alternative but it halfway sucks.

DC .. I think is more workable ... yet I cant think of anything cool for DC either. DC Defenders? is that some fringe sports team already?

Idk .. this name thing is so hard as nothing sounds or seems right.

Im just glad they have chosen to do nothing vs rushing a bad name. The red tails? red hogs? red wolves? fuck that
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:34 PM   #834
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Im still partial to Red Wolves, along with a howling noise on every first down. But if I have to come up with a totally new name it would be the Washington Wu-Tang. Because Wu-Tang is forever.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:36 PM   #835
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

And Im with Matty. Let it go. We already played a whole season without the name Redskins or the fight song. Why are we even still debating whether or not any of it is coming back?
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:21 PM   #836
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
And Im with Matty. Let it go. We already played a whole season without the name Redskins or the fight song. Why are we even still debating whether or not any of it is coming back?
We're not, We're debating if it ever left. (We agree officially it left, but unofficially .......????? Which goes into the debate on the new name - argument is WFT may be the choice because that would be a wink/nod to the Redskins name).
Old 06-17-2021, 11:05 PM   #837
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
This, and this, and this again.
I loved the Redskins, thought it was malarky to make them change.
BUT, they did, and now we should to move forward. WFT is not moving forward, and it's not going back, it's just stuck in nothingness.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:15 PM   #838
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
I'd debate that. They've made clear they want connections to the franchise's past, ie the colors are staying, that's not a full clean slate. It's not a new team, it's a new name and identity for this team.

I hear the fact that the fight song with new lyrics could be cringe worthy to some, but I don't know that it absolutely has to go.
It was one of the things fans loved, quite unique in the league, and it could be rebooted to fit many of the fans favorite options.

Again, I hear that some could dislike it, but I disagree that it's not an option in a rebranding.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:01 AM   #839
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
This, and this, and this again.
I loved the Redskins, thought it was malarky to make them change.
BUT, they did, and now we should to move forward. WFT is not moving forward, and it's not going back, it's just stuck in nothingness.
+1

We're already keeping the team colors, that's good enough. New name, new image, new fight song, let's go.

People are still gonna refer to them as the Redskins, but the name is gone in an official capacity. Let's move on and hopefully come up with something badass/inspiring. Ultimately though, the name will be judged on winning. If they change the name and the team still sucks for the next 10-20 years it will be hard to get rid of that association.

The reason I'm not opposed to the name Warriors anymore is because the W-L record will determine how the name is received. Case in point - Golden State Warriors. What do you associate that name with? What comes to mind when you think of that team? 1. Winning. 2. Dominance. 3. Titles. 4. A team that could be missing Steph Curry, or Dray, or Klay, and is still gonna be tough to beat on any given night. The point is - the name itself might not be the most inspiring - but if we associate it with a team that's tough to play on any day and wins more than it loses - it will go over well.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:09 AM   #840
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
+1

We're already keeping the team colors, that's good enough. New name, new image, new fight song, let's go.

People are still gonna refer to them as the Redskins, but the name is gone in an official capacity. Let's move on and hopefully come up with something badass/inspiring. Ultimately though, the name will be judged on winning. If they change the name and the team still sucks for the next 10-20 years it will be hard to get rid of that association.

The reason I'm not opposed to the name Warriors anymore is because the W-L record will determine how the name is received. Case in point - Golden State Warriors. What do you associate that name with? What comes to mind when you think of that team? 1. Winning. 2. Dominance. 3. Titles. 4. A team that could be missing Steph Curry, or Dray, or Klay, and is still gonna be tough to beat on any given night. The point is - the name itself might not be the most inspiring - but if we associate it with a team that's tough to play on any day and wins more than it loses - it will go over well.
This is the hammer hitting the nail on the head. The reason people want to keep the Redskins (other than those damn racists and obstinate grumpy old men) is because of the association to winning in the 80s, where many of us formed that bond watching the Skins kick ass year in and year out.

The hard thing will be when the WFT goes 20 and 0 this year - even I will support keeping WFT because - hell yeah 20-0.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote