WFT's Off-Season Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-06-2021, 09:27 PM   #781
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Re: WFT's Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
A couple thoughts on the whole Scherff situation. Keim reported about a week ago that BS and the WFT haven’t talked recently about a long-term deal, but that BS did turn down offers that would have made him the highest paid guard in the league. He also said that a “league source” he spoke with thought it would be difficult to keep him, saying “that ship has sailed”.

John Keim is definitely plugged in, but the issue I have with all this is - who knows when those offers were even made. If they haven’t talked recently, as Keim suggested, then the offers were probably made before the franchise tag was applied, before free agency began, and before Joe Thuney got his new deal. If that’s the case, I don’t think this is a big deal at all. They probably tried to get him to sign a more team friendly deal (of course), and when that appeared to go nowhere, BS probably decided to wait until free agency to see what his true market value would be, knowing Thuney was up for a new deal.

Anyway, I don’t see this as a done deal or that the ship has sailed. They could still get a long term deal done. His market value is set now, and he’ll probably want to marginally beat Thuney’s deal, but it wouldn’t be the worst thing to lock him up. Of course he has to want to be here, and I don’t know for sure that he does.

I dunno ... I think maybe that money could be better spent elsewhere on the roster. We'll have a year to get a successor ready, say Keith Ismael or someone we draft this year, and let BS find that paycheck from someone else.
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-06-2021, 11:43 PM   #782
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
A couple thoughts on the whole Scherff situation. Keim reported about a week ago that BS and the WFT haven’t talked recently about a long-term deal, but that BS did turn down offers that would have made him the highest paid guard in the league. He also said that a “league source” he spoke with thought it would be difficult to keep him, saying “that ship has sailed”.

John Keim is definitely plugged in, but the issue I have with all this is - who knows when those offers were even made. If they haven’t talked recently, as Keim suggested, then the offers were probably made before the franchise tag was applied, before free agency began, and before Joe Thuney got his new deal. If that’s the case, I don’t think this is a big deal at all. They probably tried to get him to sign a more team friendly deal (of course), and when that appeared to go nowhere, BS probably decided to wait until free agency to see what his true market value would be, knowing Thuney was up for a new deal.

Anyway, I don’t see this as a done deal or that the ship has sailed. They could still get a long term deal done. His market value is set now, and he’ll probably want to marginally beat Thuney’s deal, but it wouldn’t be the worst thing to lock him up. Of course he has to want to be here, and I don’t know for sure that he does.
I hope you're right.
I don't see the incentive for him to sign vs cashing in 18M and test the market next year though. Except of course injury, guaranteed money/signing bonus may be a way to have him reconsider.

While I would have been in favor of letting him walk and use the cap elsewhere, my next favorite option is a top of the market long term deal. The worst case being a 18M year and gone... Which as of now seems to be the most likely scenario.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:44 AM   #783
AnonEmouse
The Starter

With his injury history I'd be surprised if Scherff just sits on the tag until next spring. A guaranteed long term deal now after another injury hit season would be security he doesn't have right now, especially with guarantees. I mean, he could be just looking at it like he's made a bundle already and every year is a bonus, but the way he plays says to me he wants to keep playing as long as he can (and maybe have a shot at Canton?). Personally I don't think he's being mercenary he just wants paying what he's worth. I agree with Chief, I think he was feeling out the market and once the draft is out of the way he may well get on the phone to his agent to get a long deal done.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:00 AM   #784
ArizonaSkinFan
Camp Scrub

Check out the latest LSU allegation. Wow what a POS Guice is. Harassing a 74 year old security guard in front of his friends. Pure punk ass
ArizonaSkinFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:16 AM   #785
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Smokeshow

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfoo...ms-coordinator
Old 04-07-2021, 10:18 AM   #786
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
With his injury history I'd be surprised if Scherff just sits on the tag until next spring. A guaranteed long term deal now after another injury hit season would be security he doesn't have right now, especially with guarantees. I mean, he could be just looking at it like he's made a bundle already and every year is a bonus, but the way he plays says to me he wants to keep playing as long as he can (and maybe have a shot at Canton?). Personally I don't think he's being mercenary he just wants paying what he's worth. I agree with Chief, I think he was feeling out the market and once the draft is out of the way he may well get on the phone to his agent to get a long deal done.
I wonder how many players who have been tagged twice have re-signed with the tagging team. I think it isn't a high percentage, after all the two sides have had 3 solid years of negotiating.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:22 AM   #787
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Sounds like an executive secretary role. They can be huge in the gatekeepee role.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2021, 10:34 AM   #788
Monkeydad
Living Legend

That's fine. I just hope she's truly qualified. Sometimes it seems like NFL teams are trying to one-up each other when they're announcing hires. The fact SI uses her ethnicity as the headline instead of where she's from or what she's done is so telling of where the focus is. We don't hear that she was a recruiting coordinator from Texas A&M until the FOURTH paragraph.

"We hired the first woman coach".

"Well, we hired he first female lesbian coach".

"We've hired the first black executive".

"Now we've hired the first Latina executive".

Diversity and opportunity for all is great. Forced diversity for the sake of diversity isn't a recipe for success.

The NFL has always had a fascination with focusing on peoples' skin color. Just hire the most-qualified and stop wasting candidates' time with the Rooney Rule. There have been many men called in for an interview knowing they're only there to fulfil the interview quota and that they're not actually being considered for the hire. That's more insulting than not getting a call.

I can't wait until Arizona and Atlanta get punished by the league like in MLB.

So much focus on race...is racist in itself.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:39 AM   #789
MTK
\m/

Diverse and well qualified seems to be our theme lately. Good work by the WFT at least we're doing something right it seems. Wouldn't be surprised if we see the same theme play out with bringing in a new group of minority owners, if Snyder goes that route.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:22 PM   #790
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Wait there is actually a bigger talent pool to choose from than just white males? Interesting.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:02 PM   #791
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
I hope you're right.
I don't see the incentive for him to sign vs cashing in 18M and test the market next year though. Except of course injury, guaranteed money/signing bonus may be a way to have him reconsider.

While I would have been in favor of letting him walk and use the cap elsewhere, my next favorite option is a top of the market long term deal. The worst case being a 18M year and gone... Which as of now seems to be the most likely scenario.
10% of salary cap for a RG with an injury history who will be 30 when deal signed is ridiculous. You can get 70% of production of Scherff, especially factoring in injury history, for $17M a year less. RG is lowest leverage position on whole OL. The truth is we need long term answers at every position on OL except C next year or this year to plan for next on some.

We have so many needs that can't possibly fill them all in draft FA this year. We are realistically one more draft and offseason from having any hope of a rounded out team without holes. So you can understand the thinking in resigning Scherff. That doesn't make the decision defensible, unless he is traded. Another case study in not having a coach be GM.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:23 PM   #792
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
The sticking point in deal was almost certainly length and guarantees, not money. I believe Keim reports truth. He is a scrupulous journalist. If he reports we offered Scherff highest paid contract for G, believe him, but devil is in details of deal. What matters in big contracts is guaranteed money. So Washington could have offered him deal that made him highest paid, but with outs if he's injured or with much of money incentives for health. Scherff may have said no, I want more guaranteed money and years. Anyone who thinks he is magically going to get more healthy after 30 is dreaming. Our FO would be stupid to give the things Scherff is probably demanding. I also think Scherff is perfectly willing to play out the tag and become a URFA because tagging him next year becomes insane. He'll move to a team that contends and take a bit less money to get the ring, with guarantees he wants. A deal with less overall money but better guarantees is actually better in the NFL. Very few players see the end of their deals, especially big deals after 30 for non-QBs. I would be stunned if something like this not what going on behind scenes.

I also think liking the new culture is different than being delusional and thinking we will win a SB next three years or that Snyder won't meddle eventually. We still have no answer at most important position, and have made poor decisions at that position this offseason. No one without blinders really thinks Fitz-Inconsistent is leading anyone to a SB. He is too up and down and has never lead a team to playoffs. Does anyone think a player on their first playoff run at 39 is leading team to SB? No way. Scherff can hold out for EXACTLY the deal he wants and if not pick whatever team he wants in FA next year by lowering his price a bit or wait for one team to foolishly pay him what he wants. That is almost certainly his agent's advice and his philosophy. Play conservative, don't risk injury, if you miss 8 games, who cares, fully guaranteed, but be healthy for year after, if Washington doesn't give EXACTLY what you want, let them franchise you for $20M+ next year or walk. Scherff is probably looking for 5 year deal worth $80M-$90M with absurd guarantees. If not, fine, go play for a SB contender next year for $15M a year. He'll give the discount to another team, but not us, that is the reality once you franchise a guy. Scherff isn't evil for doing this, anymore than Cousins, or Dak. Business is business, and NFL labor agreement rarely favors players like this. Bottom line, we're hosed. Why trade for Scherff when you can just sign him in FA next year? No one's trading a ton for him anyway because of injury history and he's a RG. The combination of picks and huge salary and no long-term deal huge poison pill except maybe for contender with major injury. Coaches should not be GMs.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:32 PM   #793
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Diverse and well qualified seems to be our theme lately. Good work by the WFT at least we're doing something right it seems. Wouldn't be surprised if we see the same theme play out with bringing in a new group of minority owners, if Snyder goes that route.
You mean reverse racism. These hires are all to placate the owners and play the PR game and help our turd owner look good given his past racial and gender transgressions. They are cynical public relations machinations and nothing more. There are qualified people with decades of experience and major gravitas, and we hire a 26 year old minority woman with NO NFL experience to a position that doesn't even really need to exist? Give me a break. This is so Snyder can wag his finger at anyone who criticizes him, or prevent such criticism, and that is the only reason. Snyder is never letting anyone have a stake in the team again. EVER.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:15 PM   #794
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:07 PM   #795
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
You mean reverse racism. These hires are all to placate the owners and play the PR game and help our turd owner look good given his past racial and gender transgressions. They are cynical public relations machinations and nothing more. There are qualified people with decades of experience and major gravitas, and we hire a 26 year old minority woman with NO NFL experience to a position that doesn't even really need to exist? Give me a break. This is so Snyder can wag his finger at anyone who criticizes him, or prevent such criticism, and that is the only reason. Snyder is never letting anyone have a stake in the team again. EVER.
This hire has 0 to do with Snyder. And it's a wise move regardless of ethnicity or gender. RR hired an executive secretary to help him stay organized. He may have had one down in Carolina, who knows. Nothing about this hire is worth stressing over, and also not worth the generated PR except in our country's current culture.