Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins Sign DB Cedric Griffin (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=47048)

Evilgrin 03-16-2012 11:55 PM

Re: Redskins Sign DB Cedric Griffin

He was coming off an injury, if he doesn't get better they didn't give up anything and can move on without him. I think he's he decent pickup.

Swarley 03-17-2012 12:03 AM

I'm more interested if they plan on using him as a safety. If that's the case and he stays healthy this could end up paying off.

sdskinsfan2001 03-17-2012 12:13 AM

[quote=Lotus;900159]He's an experienced body for the secondary who is better than Byron Westbrook.[/quote]

Word! I like the signing, he was a solid player that had 2 acl tears unfortunately, takes a while to come back from that, he should be more healthy this year. And he is a DB that can possibly play safety for our team! I like it. I want Aaron Ross too if at all possible.

CultBrennan59 03-17-2012 12:17 AM

[quote=GreekSkin;900388]I'm more interested if they plan on using him as a safety. If that's the case and he stays healthy this could end up paying off.[/quote]

Even safties that are moved to CB don't look as bad as he did in that video.

30gut 03-17-2012 12:58 AM

Cedric Griffin is the definition of 'just a guy'

Chico23231 03-17-2012 10:20 AM

[quote=GreekSkin;900388]I'm more interested if they plan on using him as a safety. If that's the case and he stays healthy this could end up paying off.[/quote]

yeah im on board if the plan is to bring him in to challange Gomes at SS. I like Merrieweather at FS and then bringing in a mid round selection in the draft at FS if that is the plan. Griffin at CB is just a horrible idea.

jbcjr14 03-17-2012 12:54 PM

I like this signing. Potential rebound year and a fresh start with coach Morris. Cedric was a beast at Texas and is relatively young.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

EARTHQUAKE2689 03-17-2012 12:59 PM

^ 30 is relatively young? I like the signing too but 30 isn't young.

SirClintonPortis 03-17-2012 01:15 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;900464]^ 30 is relatively young? I like the signing too but 30 isn't young.[/quote]

Yep, 3 years after 30, there's a legit shot he'll be retired or irrelevant by then.

skinsnut 03-17-2012 03:20 PM

I only see this guy as a safety, he had 2 torn ACLs and has minimal potential, yet we let a potential star leave with one leg problem (achilles)?

I just dont get getting rid of one guy due to injury and pick up an average at best guy that plays...but because of the injury looks bad on the field.
I'd rather have resigned Landry....at least he has upside and is younger and can crunch people.

I know..I know...cost savings, but to me...spending this kind of money on damaged goods is not smart...there are late cuts at half this price that may be better.

They would have been better off focusing on oline and ilb this early....this move could scare of legit nickle backs to boot.

And please, dont suggest Griffin is any competition at CB....he is not....at best he is a nickle...possible, safety....perhaps dime guy...that is a lot of money for that, normally these roles (except safety) can be filled with rookies or 2nd year guys for way less money

That Guy 03-17-2012 11:54 PM

well, if he sucks in preseason, i imagine they'll cut him and get a lot of the money back for next year. he's definitely here as CB3/S though.

REDSKINS4ever 03-19-2012 12:26 PM

Cedric Griffin will probably be more cut out playing free safety unless the coaches feel that he can step in and be the nickel back. But Kevin Barnes is decent in the slot. Griffin is injury prone though and playing on two re-built knees, he may be hurt again. But hopefully he's healed from those injury.

sportscurmudgeon 03-19-2012 08:44 PM

The value of this signing rests squarely on the health of Griffin's knees. If the Skins medics say he is healed to the point where he can play somewhere near the level he played a couple years ago, then this is a bargain basement signing. If his knees are shot, then the Skins are out whatever they gave him as a signing bonus.

Minimal risk here. Potential reward is not humongous, but if Griffin regains his form of a few years ago, he is an upgrade in the secondary.

T.O.Killa 05-15-2012 11:51 AM

I just watched Cedric Griffins last two games and he was a beast. He was benched during the Lions game while going one on one with Megatron. The guy should be better this year. Did not allow Santana Moss or Gaffney to make a reception while on his side. I am predicting right now that he will be the feel good story of next year and will be our opening day starter. He is 29 and had a torn acl in 2009 and 2010. I was very impressed. Also, very strong in run support.

SkinsHulk 05-15-2012 12:06 PM

[quote=T.O.Killa;917158]I just watched Cedric Griffins last two games and he was a beast. He was benched during the Lions game while going one on one with Megatron. The guy should be better this year. Did not allow Santana Moss or Gaffney to make a reception while on his side. I am predicting right now that he will be the feel good story of next year and will be our opening day starter. He is 29 and had a torn acl in 2009 and 2010. I was very impressed. Also, very strong in run support.[/quote]

Besides the return of Jenkins to the defense this year FS/SS are definitely weighing on my mind. I feel good about the front 7, now I can't wait to evaluate the Safety situation. It seems while still questionably unknown we have better depth at S than last season.

Do we have a nickel back better than Barnes???????

Bubba305-ST21- 05-15-2012 12:06 PM

[quote=T.O.Killa;917158]I just watched Cedric Griffins last two games and he was a beast. He was benched during the Lions game while going one on one with Megatron. The guy should be better this year. Did not allow Santana Moss or Gaffney to make a reception while on his side. I am predicting right now that he will be the feel good story of next year and will be our opening day starter. He is 29 and had a torn acl in 2009 and 2010. I was very impressed. Also, very strong in run support.[/quote]

i hope your right, i like the signing high risk low reward on a guy that has showed he can play. my favorite low profile signing is the tanard jackson signing, true young ballhawk that i think will start at free who is finally healthy. lets hope they both pan out!

T.O.Killa 05-15-2012 12:16 PM

[quote=Bubba305-ST21-;917164]i hope your right, i like the signing high risk low reward on a guy that has showed he can play. my favorite low profile signing is the tanard jackson signing, true young ballhawk that i think will start at free who is finally healthy. lets hope they both pan out![/quote]
Just watched game 12 against Atlanta held Julio Jones to 0 catches. The closest Julio came to making a catch, he was called for offensive pass interference. I calling him the 2012 Carlos Rogers.

T.O.Killa 05-15-2012 12:18 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;900464]^ 30 is relatively young? I like the signing too but 30 isn't young.[/quote]
He is 29 and was a beast with Minisota until he tore his acl. He younger than than Carlos Rogers

T.O.Killa 05-15-2012 12:22 PM

[quote=SkinsHulk;917163]Besides the return of Jenkins to the defense this year FS/SS are definitely weighing on my mind. I feel good about the front 7, now I can't wait to evaluate the Safety situation. It seems while still questionably unknown we have better depth at S than last season.

Do we have a nickel back better than Barnes???????[/quote]
I am hoping Josh Wilson can play in the slot. If not, it could be Torrence, Thompson, Minnefield, Barnes, or some guy on the street. The guy on the street excites me more than Barnes.

Bubba305-ST21- 05-15-2012 01:35 PM

yeah, kevin barnes has showed nothing