Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How many starting RBs are worse than Portis? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=32793)

Monkeydad 10-19-2009 09:59 AM

Re: How many starting RBs are worse than Portis?

Put any RB behind this O-Line, with Zorn calling plays...and see if they can produce.

Portis just had the longest run of his career yesterday, he still has it. He's the best blocking RB in the NFL and can take more punishment than anyone...look how guys like Parker and Westbrook, even Tomlinson are always getting hurt. Portis plays through injuries and can still be successful if he gets any blocking whatsoever and there's not a monkey calling the same stretch running play in every crucial situation.

maroonandblack30 10-19-2009 10:03 AM

[quote=jamf;611738]He is 7th in the league in rushing!
We don't ever have a lead in the 4th quarter so we can't pound the ball and get him more yards and we can't sustain drives or convert 3rd downs yet he is still 7th in the league.

He's been running through the same gaps on the left side of the field because we can't create holes on the right side. Defenses know this and he is still 7th in rushing. He isn't the gamebreaker AP or Chris Johnson is but he is still our best offensive weapon, Sorry mancrush cooley fans.

There is not a runningback in the league that would be successful behind this offensive line![/quote]

Stats aren't the whole story...he averages 75 yards per game.

maroonandblack30 10-19-2009 10:07 AM

[quote=Buster;611740]Put any RB behind this O-Line, with Zorn calling plays...and see if they can produce.

Portis just had the longest run of his career yesterday, he still has it. He's the best blocking RB in the NFL and can take more punishment than anyone...look how guys like Parker and Westbrook, even Tomlinson are always getting hurt. Portis plays through injuries and can still be successful if he gets any blocking whatsoever and there's not a monkey calling the same stretch running play in every crucial situation.[/quote]

I think the opposite is true...put any other RB behind this line with this coach and they get WAY more yards. Felix Jones, T. Choice, Bradshaw, J. Norwood, J. Stewart, D. Ward....any of them. He leaves yards on the field, case closed. And Im sick of hearing about how good of a blocker he is...he isn't getting paid what he is getting paid to just be a good blocker.

Monkeydad 10-19-2009 10:07 AM

[quote=maroonandblack30;611742]Stats aren't the whole story...he averages 75 yards per game.[/quote]

Which is IMPRESSIVE behind our line with your avatar calling plays.

maroonandblack30 10-19-2009 10:09 AM

[quote=Buster;611749]Which is IMPRESSIVE behind our line with your avatar calling plays.[/quote]

Im just calling it like I see it.... I see tons of yards being left on the field by 26 when he falls over without being touched, runs into the back of blockers or just back pedals into the pile.

His line is bad, but the weren't that bad yesterday...there were plays to be made and he didn't make them.

freddyg12 10-19-2009 10:19 AM

[quote=jamf;611738]He is 7th in the league in rushing!
We don't ever have a lead in the 4th quarter so we can't pound the ball and get him more yards and we can't sustain drives or convert 3rd downs yet he is still 7th in the league.

He's been running through the same gaps on the left side of the field because we can't create holes on the right side. Defenses know this and he is still 7th in rushing. He isn't the gamebreaker AP or Chris Johnson is but he is still our best offensive weapon, Sorry mancrush cooley fans.

There is not a runningback in the league that would be successful behind this offensive line![/quote]

If you want to rely on stats, keep in mind that we haven't had a bye week & many others have, so his #s are higher due to an extra game. He's also been getting 95% of the carries, whereas other teams often give a backup 10 carries or so.

He started to come to life in the TB game, but even then he fell down a no. of times too easily. I know this o line sucks, but even poor lines open holes when the play call is right & the defense is out of position. That was the case w/the 78 yarder. He didn't have to break any tackles or make any moves, just run through the hole. IMO, he's missed a no. of holes where he might've gotten another 2 yards or so. Good rb's will make something usually, even if it's just a couple of yards. He hasn't this year.

hail_2_da_skins 10-19-2009 10:27 AM

I've said it before and I repeat. Clinton Portis has Shaun Alexander disease. He runs untils he anticipates contact and then falls down or run out of bounds. The 78 yard run is a prime example. Practically every back in the league would have scored on that play. When the play first started, Portis did his normal move, running up the back of his blockers, not cutting to daylight. Unfortunately the defense provided no resistance, so he had to run up field. He had one defender to beat and a blocker in front. How come he can't set up the block and beat one defender or cut back and out run the defender? Portis runs like an old back...Shaun Alexander disease.

Monkeydad 10-19-2009 10:27 AM

[quote=maroonandblack30;611748]I think the opposite is true...put any other RB behind this line with this coach and they get WAY more yards. Felix Jones, T. Choice, Bradshaw, J. Norwood, J. Stewart, D. Ward....any of them. He leaves yards on the field, case closed. And Im sick of hearing about how good of a blocker he is...he isn't getting paid what he is getting paid to just be a good blocker.[/quote]

His blocking saves our QB's head several times a game, so yes, it is important.

Explain "leaves yards on the field" and how another lesser-talented RB could have more success than Portis with this joke of an O-line. I'd love to heard it, Mr. Zorn avatar. :D

freddyg12 10-19-2009 10:36 AM

[quote=Buster;611763]His blocking saves our QB's head several times a game, so yes, it is important.

Explain "leaves yards on the field" and how another lesser-talented RB could have more success than Portis with this joke of an O-line. I'd love to heard it, Mr. Zorn avatar. :D[/quote]

I agree that he "leaves yards on the field" - there have been a no. of carries in which he's run into the back of a linemen, which is often not his fault cause those guys are getting pushed back, but how he responds is his fault. He has often responded by trying to bull ahead, rather than making a quick move to either side & forging ahead. I'm certainly not suggesting that he try & bounce outside, cause he just doesn't have the takeoff he once did. I just think he's not seeing cutback lanes & getting what is there.

Part of it may be his lack of practice/conditioning. Part of it has to be that he is old, beat up & lacks the quickness needed to be decisive the way a rb must be. At his best his play inspired the team, now his play more or less exemplifies the team.

redsk1 10-19-2009 10:38 AM

I think alot of backs could get more yards w/ our oline. There's been multiple occasions where CP can't make one guy miss or can't get around the corner and get's tackled. I'm not saying another RB could come in and average 5 yards a carry but i think alot could do better.

53Fan 10-19-2009 10:38 AM

[quote=maroonandblack30;611752][B]Im just calling it like I see it.... I see tons of yards being left on the field by 26 when he falls over without being touched, runs into the back of blockers or just back pedals into the pile[/B].

His line is bad, but the weren't that bad yesterday...there were plays to be made and he didn't make them.[/quote]

Add that to his reluctance to practice, throw any and everyone under the bus...time to go Clinton.

Longtimefan 10-19-2009 10:39 AM

Calling him a disgrace may be a bit of a stretch, he does have issues however, some fotball related and some not. I think some people are beginning to wonder if he's actually still worth the price or the time. BTW had he cut back inside Sellers block he would have scored. The fact he didn't is reflective of his lack of ability to change directions at full speed, a quality neccessary for a featured RB.

maroonandblack30 10-19-2009 10:43 AM

[quote=Buster;611763]His blocking saves our QB's head several times a game, so yes, it is important.

Explain "leaves yards on the field" and how another lesser-talented RB could have more success than Portis with this joke of an O-line. I'd love to heard it, Mr. Zorn avatar. :D[/quote]

there are holes/daylight that he doesn't hit or doesn't see thus doesn't get the yards that are available on those plays.

The 78 yard run is a perfect example....there were 9 yards "left on the field" on that play that he didn't get. Every other starting RB in the league, making as much money as 26 scores on that play... not even a question.

maroonandblack30 10-19-2009 10:45 AM

[quote=Longtimefan;611777]Calling him a disgrace may be a bit of a stretch, he does have issues however, some fotball related and some not. I think some people are beginning to wonder if he's actually still worth the price or the time. BTW had he cut back inside Sellers block he would have scored. [B]The fact he didn't is reflective of his lack of ability to change directions at full speed, a quality neccessary for a featured RB.[/B][/quote]

I agree, but also think he is so out of shape that he was just too tired to make anything happen at the end of that run....he was GASSED!!!!

hail_2_da_skins 10-19-2009 10:47 AM

Clinton Portis should be part of the housecleaning that needs to go on in Washington. The Redskins should completely rebuild their offense. The only keeper in my book is Chris Cooley, maybe Santana Moss if the contract is right. Everyone else is expendable. Clean house on defense as well. Smoot, Rodgers, Griffin, and Daniels are at the top of the list of expendables. Zorn -> gone. Vinny -> gone.