Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

How many starting RBs are worse than Portis?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-19-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
maroonandblack30
Special Teams

How many starting RBs are worse than Portis?

I know our line is in shambles, but Portis leaves yards on the field. No explosiveness, no quickness, and he doesn't even think he needs to practice.

How did he not score on that 78 yard run? One defender, one blocker, and one CP = a FG???? Every other starting RB in the league scores easily.

He is a disgrace to the Burgandy and Gold!!!!!
maroonandblack30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-19-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: How many starting RBs are worse than Portis?

CP is a middle of the pack kind of starter right now. We could do better, but we could do much worse. Behind a good OL I think he could still be very effective, but it's to the point now where I think it's time to shake things up. He's not worth the big dollars he's making and he's not a leader off the field. Time to move on.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
redsk1
The Starter

That's a little much to say he's a disgrace.

I understand your point though. He has slowed. I think we need to semi-clean house on the offensive side of the ball, CP included. Just look at our division.

B Jacobs and Bradshaw
Barber, Jones, and Choice
Westbrook and McCoy

I think they all have better "weapons" at RB than we do. Not to mention, Betts, who is average IMO as well.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
bigant
Special Teams

when you taken a beaten like he has the last year and half,your body wears down,believe me he is still very good, now our quarterback and head coach that,s a whole other subject.......................
bigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
djnemo65
Playmaker

It was really apparent in yesterday's game how much lateral quickness he's lost. He has no explosiveness out of his cuts anymore. Yeah he could do well behind a great line but so could most NFL backs. He's just a guy at this point, just one who happens to be making mega millions.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
Green1
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonandblack30 View Post
I know our line is in shambles, but Portis leaves yards on the field. No explosiveness, no quickness, and he doesn't even think he needs to practice.

How did he not score on that 78 yard run? One defender, one blocker, and one CP = a FG???? Every other starting RB in the league scores easily.

He is a disgrace to the Burgandy and Gold!!!!!
2 K. Smith DET and Hightower Cards, but they are all equally bad. Portis only started running hard after Betts started the 2nd half. But he should have got a chance to run it in, Zorn goes empty backfield after a 80 yard run! Mason should be starting running back he has explosiveness and quickness. Betts is just Portis with less speed but better hands.
Green1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
jamf
Pro Bowl

he was a probowler last year and lead the league in rushing for most of the year.

He needs lanes to run through. Im in the minority here but I think he is still one of the better backs in the league.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #8
freddyg12
Playmaker

pretty harsh assessment, but I have been pretty critical of CP the last few games. During each game he's missed holes totally, loses his balance & takes too long to cut. Remember how sharp his cutbacks used to be? Now he slows down to a studder step before changing directions.

I wish he could finish his career here, be a 3rd down/backup, but he's already a problem in his current role. Don't see him adjusting to a lesser role yet. I fear that things might get ugly between he & the skins (DS) before it's over.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #9
Southpaw
The Starter

I agree with the sentiment that Portis isn't as effective as he has been in the past. I'd also be willing to agree with the idea that he represents what's wrong with the Redskins organization, but to use the word "disgrace" to describe Clinton Portis is a bit over the line.

This offense(the offense that Gibbs put together) has sputtered for six seasons. The two times in those six seasons that Washington was able to make a playoff push, Clinton Portis was basically carrying the team on his back. Yes, he's lost his explosiveness and he probably doesn't have much tread left on the tires, but that certainly does not make him a disgrace.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
he was a probowler last year and lead the league in rushing for most of the year.

He needs lanes to run through. Im in the minority here but I think he is still one of the better backs in the league.
There are a lot of good rbs in the nfl, and most teams have one that is in their prime. CP isn't even a top 20 back at this point. To his credit, he can still block very well, but even in that dept. he seems less tenacious than in years past.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #11
maroonandblack30
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsk1 View Post
That's a little much to say he's a disgrace.

I understand your point though. He has slowed. I think we need to semi-clean house on the offensive side of the ball, CP included. Just look at our division.

B Jacobs and Bradshaw
Barber, Jones, and Choice
Westbrook and McCoy

I think they all have better "weapons" at RB than we do. Not to mention, Betts, who is average IMO as well.
His lack of talent isn't why he is a disgrace IMO....its his lack of talent combined with his apparent unwillingness to work hard to overcome his eroding skills....HE WON"T EVEN PRACTICE!!!!! I don't know how Zorn keeps putting him on the field if he never practices, especially now that he is average at best.

Betts has no heart...he didn't even want to go to team where he could start after his breakout season in 2006, that tells me all I need to know about him.

The skins have WAY too may guys who are fat and happy cause they are getting paid....I swear the fans care more when they lose the 50% of the players.
maroonandblack30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #12
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

I think this is Portis' last year with the Redskins.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #13
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
CP is a middle of the pack kind of starter right now. We could do better, but we could do much worse. Behind a good OL I think he could still be very effective, but it's to the point now where I think it's time to shake things up. He's not worth the big dollars he's making and he's not a leader off the field. Time to move on.
I agree, especially about the $. I dont know about being very effective but he'd be better behind a better O line. I would also add that he's not much of a leader on the field either since he almost never practices (I know he's dinged) and with the offense sputtering the way it is I think the vets need to step up in their preparation whether they are dinged or not.

I'd love to see things shaken up but Betts looks slower than CP. The Skins are really showing the effects of giving away draft picks because it seems they just dont have any young talent ready to step in and take the reigns.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:53 AM   #14
firstdown
Living Legend

I just think its very hard to tell if CP has slowed or the O just gives him no lanes to run through. It seems he is always fighting to get past the line where other RB are fighting to get past LB and thats the big problem.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:58 AM   #15
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
There are a lot of good rbs in the nfl, and most teams have one that is in their prime. CP isn't even a top 20 back at this point. To his credit, he can still block very well, but even in that dept. he seems less tenacious than in years past.
He is 7th in the league in rushing!
We don't ever have a lead in the 4th quarter so we can't pound the ball and get him more yards and we can't sustain drives or convert 3rd downs yet he is still 7th in the league.

He's been running through the same gaps on the left side of the field because we can't create holes on the right side. Defenses know this and he is still 7th in rushing. He isn't the gamebreaker AP or Chris Johnson is but he is still our best offensive weapon, Sorry mancrush cooley fans.

There is not a runningback in the league that would be successful behind this offensive line!
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote