Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Who's better, Clinton Portis or Tatum Bell?

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 06:57 PM   #61
That Guy
Living Legend

Re: Who's better, Clinton Portis or Tatum Bell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss
Take a good look at your post, you are contradicting yourself in disagreing with me, your contention is Portis didn't run well because of his line
No, i'm not, maybe you should re-read it. I said that if you want to compare why his numbers weren't as good, the oline wasn't as good as what bell has had. Now his line is better and his stats are up... if you think having a good oline wouldn't make any back better, that's hard to sell. TO and mcnabb inflate each other's stats too, thats just obvious. My main point was that bell has averaged about 30-something yards per game before last week while portis averaged 90-something... that's for their careers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss
It's funny how Portis gets cut slack for being hurt, but that was one of the first excuses I heard about Bell not being a good back last season because he can't stay on the field because of injury.
maybe that's because you're looking at a one game comparision in which one back was hurt and the other wasn't.

all RBs are judged based on the combination of their ability, the scheme, the talent around them (oline, QB, WRs etc) and the defenses they face.

portis switched systems and still put up 1300 yards, so is he now a 2 system back? Its hard to buy that when he's been successful outside the "system" that apparently made him everything that he is.

Advertisements
Old 10-12-2005, 07:52 PM   #62
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

So, when Portis proves the doubters, or doubter wrong, then who do we move on to complain about next? First, it was Gibbs being washed up and that the game has passed him by, obviously that doesn't look to be the case now. Gibbs not having the ability to pick the quality players he needs without Bobby Beathard, and the only crutch holding that case up was Mark Brunell based on his performance last season. Now, that crutch has been taken away by how well Brunell has played this year.

I swear, it's almost as if people are wanting the other shoe to drop just for the sake of being right. To me, that's just plain sick! It's usually justified by saying, "I'm just keeping it real and not drinking the kool-aid, blah blah blah Rose-colored glasses blah blah blah." The fact is, it has already been proven that the Redskins have vastly improved themselves from last year. And, as we have seen so far, it's not because we have under gone major changes to the offense (besides installing the shotgun formation,) but because Gibbs was smart enough to go get the quality receivers we didn't have last year (something I said last year was all this offense needed to get things going.)

Furthermore, we're 3-1. That's alot better than 1-3! Sure, you can side with Pastabelly and say we haven't played anybody yet, but part of being a good team is beating the teams you're supposed to beat. If we can continue to do just that in these next two weeks, we could easily be 5-1! Each week, we continue to improve...if you can't see that - you're blind! The only thing now is to get more points on the board, but I'll tell you, if we have an offense that is able to move the ball and gain yardage as much as we have been able to, the points are going to start coming.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:09 AM   #63
gortiz
Special Teams

I'm not sure who is better but I do know that my dad can beat up your dad and I think that Spider-Man is just as strong as The Thing.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:24 AM   #64
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Looks like it was changed to something a little more descriptive than "who's better".

We rarely change the titles unless it's a merged thread... cpayne do you see a lot of this or were you joking?
I was joking. The title says one thing, and then the discussion usually goes in a different direction...
Old 10-13-2005, 09:50 AM   #65
skin4Life28
Special Teams

I have a headache from this crap
Old 10-13-2005, 10:18 AM   #66
celts32
Playmaker

If Portis were still on Denver he would be putting up 1600+ yard seasons every year. He is much better than Bell...he just doesn't fit the Redskins offense as well as he did Denvers.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
Old 10-13-2005, 05:28 PM   #67
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy
So, when Portis proves the doubters, or doubter wrong, then who do we move on to complain about next?
That sounds like the perfect poll!

What Will the Warpath Complain About Next?
Old 10-13-2005, 06:00 PM   #68
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS

i vote sigs.... grr.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:39 PM   #69
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

didn't really have the patience to sift through the other posts,lol, so if someone already mentioned this than my bad, but one huge advantage Portis has over Bell, is his ability to pick up the blitz. I can't remember who it was against but there was a play that Portis faked a handoff to one side and then flashed across the line to pick up a blitzer on the opposite side of the o-line. Plus like 12thMan mentioned it's a bit early to say we got the short end of the stick when the player we gave up is out right now and hasn't played like the "shutdown" cb a lot of people had deemed him to be and the player drafted with the pick in the trade has a grand total of 677 yards rushing to his name. I think I'll give it a little bit of time before declaring Portis a bum, unless of course he keeps having costly fumbles.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:18 PM   #70
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS

Probably start complaining that the Redskins Cheerleaders don't wear enough clothes.....you won't hear me complaining though!