QB or BPA for our #1 Draft Pick - 2020

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-26-2019, 05:14 PM   #151
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: QB or BPA for our #1 Draft Pick - 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
RG3 was an accident waiting for a place to happen, it was just a matter of time before injuries took away his athletic ability. He was like the opposite of a QB who was good at protecting himself.
Very true but if u watch Lamar, he doesn't really slide at all

Advertisements
Old 11-26-2019, 05:27 PM   #152
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
RG3 was an accident waiting for a place to happen, it was just a matter of time before injuries took away his athletic ability. He was like the opposite of a QB who was good at protecting himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Very true but if u watch Lamar, he doesn't really slide at all
It isn't just about sliding, some guys are just good at not getting blasted with a hard tackle because they move to lessen the blow right before they are hit. Kind of like a boxer who slips punches thrown at him. Barry Sanders was real good at that, it was rare when a tackler got a straight hard shot on him.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:03 PM   #153
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Gotta be weird to backup Lamar Jackson if you're RG3. He is watching everything he was supposed to be. Jackson is clearly more talented, but a huge part of RG3s downfall was his humongous ego. Came from the Big 12 and thought he could just walk into the NFL and automatically be an elite drop back passer.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:14 AM   #154
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Pretty sure Jackson will suffer the same fate as RGIII eventually. It's just a matter of time as often as he runs it. He'll get blasted at some point. He's awesome right now though...too bad they didn't convert him to receiver.lol
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:22 AM   #155
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Jackson is way more dynamic as a runner than RG3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally. RG3 was just a sprinter. Jackson could literally play RB.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:38 AM   #156
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Pretty sure Jackson will suffer the same fate as RGIII eventually. It's just a matter of time as often as he runs it. He'll get blasted at some point. He's awesome right now though...too bad they didn't convert him to receiver.lol

Running the ball in the NFL is very dangerous. No question.
But a qb throwing in the pocket with eyes down field looking for receivers, blind to DL/LB’s is just as vulnerable or more.
When running the ball, at least your eyes are looking for defenders. You can be blindsided at any time, but when running, you can also stiff arm, dive, and angle yourself to try to lessen the blow. A QB throwing the ball cannot defend themselves at all, just like a Reciever catching the ball. Exposing yourself to a defenseless situation like this over and over again will eventually catch up to you
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #157
SunnySide
Playmaker

I think theres 4 5 star prospects Im fine with, all fill a team need.

QB Burrow
Edge Young
CB Okudah
LT Andrews

We should be in the top 4 so I feel good taking any one of these 4.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #158
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post

QB Burrow

Edge Young

CB Okudah

LT Andrews

I’m sure Burrow will go at #1 (Bengals). I hope we get either Young at Edge or Andrew Thomas at OT. If they are gone, then it’s the best OT left. We have two holes to fill: Moses and Trent Williams.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #159
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
I’m sure Burrow will go at #1 (Bengals). I hope we get either Young at Edge or Andrew Thomas at OT. If they are gone, then it’s the best OT left. We have two holes to fill: Moses and Trent Williams.

I think Id keep Moses for another year. In Trents absence, it seems like he has become the vocal leader of the O line. Hes cut down drastically on his false starts. We arent in cap hell and hes on a modest enough contract. He could have a bounce back yea next year.

LT and CB1 (FS a distant 3rd) are the 3 big holes that need filled imo. Okudah has all they hype and good size (6'1" 200 lbs) to be a potential game changer on the outside.

im fine taking the best LT over the best CB .. but Im not fine w taking the second best LT over the best CB.

1st round has to be BPA over need imo.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #160
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post

QB Burrow
Edge Young
CB Okudah
LT Andrews

They won't draft a QB so we can take that off the list.

EDGE
LT
CB

In that Order IMO
Old 12-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #161
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

LT is our best bang for the buck. If Thomas is as good as they say he needs to be our first pick. Our D's main issue isnt player quality it is coaching. You saw it repeatedly yesterday where there was confusion. At the least the coach has to have the players ready for goal line stands.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:38 PM   #162
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
LT is our best bang for the buck. If Thomas is as good as they say he needs to be our first pick. Our D's main issue isnt player quality it is coaching. You saw it repeatedly yesterday where there was confusion. At the least the coach has to have the players ready for goal line stands.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yeah, the DC coaching is just terrible. In the Red Zone they leave UNCOVERED their best pass catcher: Ertnz. What was that about? That’s football 101 stuff. He should have been doubled teamed!

Earlier in the game the Eagles roasted us with a screen pass to the right. Excellent yardage. What do they do next? Same play and great gain! They ran the screen play to both sides at least 4-5 times and gained at least 6 yards or more every time. Manusky has a minimal ability to make adjustments. I consider Greg Manusky one of the WORST DC’s in the NFL. This defense would raise into the top 50% of the NFL just with a good DC.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:45 PM   #163
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

We seem to have this fascination with having the highest draft pick possible, and yet there isn't a correlation between being drafted high and having major success in the NFL. I don't care where we pick as long as we use the draft pick wisely.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:55 PM   #164
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
We seem to have this fascination with having the highest draft pick possible, and yet there isn't a correlation between being drafted high and having major success in the NFL. I don't care where we pick as long as we use the draft pick wisely.
The higher the pick the more options you have to use it wisely.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #165
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
This is patently and statistically wrong and just against common sense.

The higher the pick, the higher chance that player is a starter and/or pro bowler. Perhaps your argument is 1 1st rounder = 2 2nd rounders = 3 3r? Still, give me the 1st rounder all day, especially if its the skins picking.

The variance? Some teams draft better, some teams develop better, some teams keep the same coaching staff/system so a player drafted 4 years ago still fits the scheme.

Thats why Im not a fan of trading back .. the skins have a better chance of not screwing up.

------------------------------
“Picking at the end of the second round only gives your team a 50 percent chance of finding a starter,” According to a study via datascopeanalytics.com, that analyzes 50 years worth of drafting. This is a big dropoff from the first 15 picks which generates starters between 80-90 percent of the time. On the other hand, “going towards the end of the third round, your chance of finding a starter falls to (about) 30 percent.”

The further down you go in rounds, the lower the percentage gets. “The data shows that finding a starter in Round 6 or 7 is only 10–20 percent.”
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...nfl-draft-pick
----------------------------------------

86 players in total were named Pro Bowlers. Excluding special teams players that’s 78 Pro Bowl players. How many of them were high draft picks? How many were high profile free agent signees?

2019 Pro Bowl Roster Evaluation

45 Pro Bowlers were first round picks (25 in AFC, 20 in NFC)

4 number one overall picks (Jadaveon Clowney, Eric Fisher, Myles Garrett, Jared Goff)

3 undrafted free agents (Philip Lindsay, Alejandro Villanueva, Adam Thielen) – Lindsay also became the first undrafted rookie

4 of the 6 quarterbacks were first round picks (Aaron Rodgers, Jared Goff, Patrick Mahomes, Philip Rivers). The other 2 QBs were Tom Brady (6th) and Drew Brees (2nd)

4 of the 6 running backs were first round picks. All three NFC running backs were first round, top 10 draft picks (Ezekiell Elliot, Saquon Barkley, Todd Gurley). Two of the three AFC running backs began training camp as a presumed back ups (James Connor and Philip Lindsay). Melvin Gordon was the other first round pick.

There were 8 Wide Receivers selected in total only two (one from each conference) were previous first round picks – DeAndre Hopkins and Julio Jones. Davante Adams and Michael Thomas were both taken in the second round. Keenan Allen (3), Tyreek Hill (5), Antonio Brown (6), and Adam Thielen (undrafted) round out the receivers.

6 of the 8 Cornerbacks selected, were first round picks, and the other 2 were second round picks. First rounders – Patrick Peterson, Byron Jones, Kyle Fuller, Jalen Ramsey, Stephen Gilmore, Denzel Ward. Xavien Howard and Darius Slay were both second rounders.

All 3 AFC Defense Ends (Myles Garrett, Melvin Ingram, JJ Watt) were first round draft picks.

Out of the 8 AFC Offensive Lineman, 6 were first round picks. Out of the 8 NFC Offensive Lineman, 4 were first round picks, 1 second rounder, and three third round picks. Only 1 of the 4 Centers has not left the team that drafted them (Maurkice Pouncey in Pittsburgh)

Only 12 out of the 78 non-special teams players in the Pro Bowl are representing a team that did not draft them (they signed via free agency or were traded)

All 6 Outside Linebackers were first round picks (Von Miller, Jadaveon Clowney, Dee Ford, Khalil Mack, Ryan Kerrigan, Anthony barr)
https://mikedropsports.com/evaluatin...between-draft/
-------------------------------------------------

From 2000-2007:
1st R - 12.5 make pro bowl
2nd - 5.5
3rd- 2
4th - 2.3
5 - 1.6
6 - 1.5
7 - 0.75
UDFA - 4.1
https://www.battleredblog.com/2011/4...ears-2000-2007