Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Taylor Effing Heinicke

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Next year Taylor Heinicke will be...
Starting QB for the WFT 15 23.08%
Solid backup for the WFT 33 50.77%
Starter or backup for another team 2 3.08%
I have no clue 15 23.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2021, 08:21 AM   #226
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Re: Taylor Effing Heinicke

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceWeWereKings View Post
But weren't we kind of expecting only a serviceable offense with Fitz being signed as our number 1? We basically went into the season with some upgraded receivers, and 3 back up qbs...
Our d was supposed to be the thing that was above average. I think our offense was always going to be considered only average at best.

Exactly nobody is saying our offense is set for ten years. Our defense on the other hand which appeared to be close to a finished product has been a train wreck.

IMO the offense has exceeded expectations even if the bar was low ya gotta be happy that it is better than we thought. Almost top 10 in points per game is not exactly average or serviceable.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-13-2021, 08:35 AM   #227
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I have acknowledged that there weren't a lot of expectations with regard to the offense, especially as compared to the defense. But just in general, it is depressing (to me) that we are cool with a "serviceable" offense.
Who is cool with a serviceable offense? Nobody on this site. I think we all know that we still have a a lot of work to do to build the offense we need in order to contend.

The fact that we finished on top of the trash heap that was the NFC East last season should have changed nothing in regard to the building process. But it did. It distracted Ron Rivera from focusing on the goal of building a contender. He is instead trying to win now by bringing in veterans and playing them over developing young players who were coming along nicely. Rivera has lost his way.

As for Taylor Heineke, I think that 90% of the people on this site know what we have in him. He is a fearless gunslinger who is capable of winning or losing games for us with magical throws or horrible interceptions, and one result is just as likely as the other. Yes, we need a Franchise Quarterback, and soon. Nearly everybody here knows that.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:43 AM   #228
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
“How they've improved: There aren't many candidates here -- maybe returner DeAndre Carter -- but Heinicke certainly qualifies when you compare him to where he was in 2020: attending classes at Old Dominion University. He was just about done thinking he'd be back in the NFL. For that reason alone, he is the WFT's most improved player. Heinicke has his limitations, and they're on display against really good defenses -- four combined picks in losses to Buffalo and New Orleans. But he has thrown for 1,208 yards and eight touchdowns (with five picks), and he has led two late, game-winning drives. His future might just be as a solid backup, but a year ago he was an NFL afterthought.” -- John Keim
I would put Carter on the field a lot more. That guy just seems like he is a football player. Kind of shocked he has bounced around as much as he has.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:47 AM   #229
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I have acknowledged that there weren't a lot of expectations with regard to the offense, especially as compared to the defense. But just in general, it is depressing (to me) that we are cool with a "serviceable" offense.

Quote:
But weren't we kind of expecting only a serviceable offense with Fitz being signed as our number 1? We basically went into the season with some upgraded receivers, and 3 back up qbs...
Our d was supposed to be the thing that was above average. I think our offense was always going to be considered only average at best.

I think we're saying the same thing here.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:48 AM   #230
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Who is cool with a serviceable offense? Nobody on this site. I think we all know that we still have a a lot of work to do to build the offense we need in order to contend.

The fact that we finished on top of the trash heap that was the NFC East last season should have changed nothing in regard to the building process. But it did. It distracted Ron Rivera from focusing on the goal of building a contender. He is instead trying to win now by bringing in veterans and playing them over developing young players who were coming along nicely. Rivera has lost his way.

As for Taylor Heineke, I think that 90% of the people on this site know what we have in him. He is a fearless gunslinger who is capable of winning or losing games for us with magical throws or horrible interceptions, and one result is just as likely as the other. Yes, we need a Franchise Quarterback, and soon. Nearly everybody here knows that.
Before you speak for everyone on the site, you might want to read the last several pages.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:48 AM   #231
OnceWeWereKings
The Starter

I'm, personally, very happy with our offense putting up over 20 every game.
Extremely unhappy with our defense giving up over 30 every game.
There will be games where the offense doesn't score a ton, and the qb has an off day. That happens. Even if it's Brady under center.
And there will be times when the defense gives up a ton of points and loses a game...even if you're the 85 bears.
But us giving up a ton of points has become the norm. It's really unfortunate.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:50 AM   #232
OnceWeWereKings
The Starter

Quote:
I think we're saying the same thing here.
Ah.. sorry. I misunderstood/misread.

I know we all just want to see us clicking the way we all had the presumption we would.
This is one of the most underwhelming seasons I can remember as a fan.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:56 AM   #233
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Exactly nobody is saying our offense is set for ten years. Our defense on the other hand which appeared to be close to a finished product has been a train wreck.

IMO the offense has exceeded expectations even if the bar was low ya gotta be happy that it is better than we thought. Almost top 10 in points per game is not exactly average or serviceable.
I'm happy the offense has exceeded expectations. It had to in order to compete this year. Hopefully it can get a little more consistent, and less prone to TOs as the season progresses.

After last season, I thought the defense would take a step back this year, but I thought it would be mainly due to this year's competition, and likely not facing a bunch of 2nd and 3rd string QBs as they did last year. But I'll also admit, I bought the hype over the summer with the signing of W Jackson, drafting J Davis, Matty I coming back, year two under JDR... so far, calling them a train wreck is being nice.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:58 AM   #234
Schneed10
A Dude

Seeing Heinicke play a lot has value in that we can learn more about what we have. When he has faced struggling defenses he has looked good. When he has faced good ones he has been exposed (Buffalo, New Orleans). The lack of arm strength shows up as a limitation. But he can make some nice off schedule plays.

We get to see more, but to me it's becoming clear that he's a good player to hang onto as a high level backup in the NFL but our quest for a SB winning caliber QB needs to continue. We need a guy who can make the off schedule plays and be mobile and escapable, but we also need him to have the arm to fit the ball in against defenses that make throwing windows so small, and do so with precision.

We're in a league with Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert, Russell Wilson, and others. We can't kid ourselves and think Heinicke is enough.

I think most of us get that but it's good to state it.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:00 AM   #235
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Seeing Heinicke play a lot has value in that we can learn more about what we have. When he has faced struggling defenses he has looked good. When he has faced good ones he has been exposed (Buffalo, New Orleans). The lack of arm strength shows up as a limitation. But he can make some nice off schedule plays.

We get to see more, but to me it's becoming clear that he's a good player to hang onto as a high level backup in the NFL but our quest for a SB winning caliber QB needs to continue. We need a guy who can make the off schedule plays and be mobile and escapable, but we also need him to have the arm to fit the ball in against defenses that make throwing windows so small, and do so with precision.

We're in a league with Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert, Russell Wilson, and others. We can't kid ourselves and think Heinicke is enough.

This pretty much sums it up.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:01 AM   #236
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post

100% correct, as we have said so many time on here.. If you don't have a legit QB1 you will not win consistently
Old 10-13-2021, 09:40 AM   #237
OnceWeWereKings
The Starter

Quote:
I'm happy the offense has exceeded expectations. It had to in order to compete this year. Hopefully it can get a little more consistent, and less prone to TOs as the season progresses.

After last season, I thought the defense would take a step back this year, but I thought it would be mainly due to this year's competition, and likely not facing a bunch of 2nd and 3rd string QBs as they did last year. But I'll also admit, I bought the hype over the summer with the signing of W Jackson, drafting J Davis, Matty I coming back, year two under JDR... so far, calling them a train wreck is being nice.
I def bought into the hype. I mean, on paper...total upgrades. We knew the lb group would be the weak spot. I hoped we could get by with them, though as our line, and secondary would make up for the weak spot. But yea...its been absolutely abysmal so far. Being middle of the pack on defense would have been a little bit of a let down....but being among one of the worst in the entire league is just deflating. This is one of the worst years for morale as a fan that I personally have ever felt.
All I can do is laugh anymore. I have 0 hope for success in the near future. Within the next 2 years I can see a total overhaul (again) in coaching staff. And while it may be needed depending on how things go....it'll put us right back where we have been since like '99. I'm getting to the point where I'm really losing hope that we can ever turn this thing around.
I know I'm stating the obvious here, but we are one of the most poorly run sports franchises across all major sports...and I would dare to say of all time.
It really boggles the mind how the upper echelons of our management structure can be THIS incompetent for this long. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while....but not this squirrel.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:03 AM   #238
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

[QUOTE=OnceWeWereKings;1295429]I know I'm stating the obvious here, but we are one of the most poorly run sports franchises across all major sports...and I would dare to say of all time. It really boggles the mind how the upper echelons of our management structure can be THIS incompetent for this long. /QUOTE]

Really? There must be something (SNYDER!) that has remained the same (SNYDER!) throughout all this mess (SNYDER!).
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:19 AM   #239
OnceWeWereKings
The Starter

[quote=KI Skins Fan;1295431]
Quote:
I know I'm stating the obvious here, but we are one of the most poorly run sports franchises across all major sports...and I would dare to say of all time. It really boggles the mind how the upper echelons of our management structure can be THIS incompetent for this long. /QUOTE]

Really? There must be something (SNYDER!) that has remained the same (SNYDER!) throughout all this mess (SNYDER!).
Absolutely, for sure.
It's just hard to believe that, even as shitty as he has made this organization that he hasn't at least gotten lucky at some point.
He is absolutely 100% unequivocally the problem.
I also don't understand how after 20+ years, and all the issues and misses that we have had.......how he hasn't learned anything except how to deflect more and shift blame more. It's maddening.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:27 PM   #240
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:

Bought in hard because of those exact four things you mentioned and in that order. Maybe Matty I over JD. Not that u were listing them in order. Oh well. One of these years Chief. Just like it used to be.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote