Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

2022 Commanders off season thread part 1

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-27-2022, 10:47 AM   #1096
SunnySide
Playmaker

Re: 2022 Commanders off season thread part 1

Kyzir White (lb) - signed w eagles for 1 yr/3M w incentives to bring it to 5m

White just turned 26 on Thursday and finished up his rookie contract with the Chargers as a 2018 fourth-round pick on an up note, piling up 144 tackles over 17 starts, which ranked eighth in the NFL. He also had two interceptions.

At 6-foot-2 and 218 pounds, White will be penciled in as the Eagles’ starting off-ball LB next to T.J. Edwards and, on paper, at least, those two look like a good complement for each other with the 240-pound Edwards serving as the thumper in run support at MIKE (middle linebacker) and the speedy White being able to run with backs and tight ends in coverage as the WILL (weakside LB).

Last season, ProFootballFocus.com graded out White as the 20th best off-ball LB in the league while Edwards finished at No. 10.
https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/e...lb-kyzir-white

Leighton Vander Esch -- resigned w boys for 1 yr/3m

Anthony Walker - resigned w Browns, 1 yr/4.75M

Alex Ogletree - FA

Ja'Whaun bentley - Pats for 2yrs/6M .. on paper its 9M but seems like incentives arent realistic
-------------------

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/pat...10-linebackers

-----------------

I wanted to go back and see if the Skins missed an opportunity to add a MLB but it seems like the pickings were slim but there were options. Kyzir White seems like the best fit but hes off ball (but reports saw he plays down hill well...). Ja'Whaun Bentley may be too young/inexperienced for Ron and Co. to trust .. i think they want a vet. I want a vet in camp right now so he can start getting acclimated.

Opinion - reach out to Ogletree and see if he still is in football shape, add him on a vet min camp invite and see what happens. Hes a vet MLB who is used to calling a defense.

if Holcomb goes down .. we have no one whose called a D before. No one.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-27-2022, 10:49 AM   #1097
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I just wonder who's idea it was to run a 4-2? I'm not a fan of that defense at all. I know Brandon Staley does it and he is like the worst coach in the history of coaches. Now Del Rio and Ron are doing it and I think very little of Del Rio at this point. A better coach could get more out of this defense.

I hate to say it but Gregg Williams could get more out of these guys than Del Rio. We'll see but I have seen enough to know that either the talent is overrated or the coaching isn't good enough. Probably a little of both.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:50 AM   #1098
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post

White just turned 26 on Thursday and finished up his rookie contract with the Chargers as a 2018 fourth-round pick on an up note, piling up 144 tackles over 17 starts, which ranked eighth in the NFL. He also had two interceptions.

At 6-foot-2 and 218 pounds, White will be penciled in as the Eagles’ starting off-ball LB next to T.J. Edwards and, on paper, at least, those two look like a good complement for each other with the 240-pound Edwards serving as the thumper in run support at MIKE (middle linebacker) and the speedy White being able to run with backs and tight ends in coverage as the WILL (weakside LB).

Last season, ProFootballFocus.com graded out White as the 20th best off-ball LB in the league while Edwards finished at No. 10.

Alex Ogletree - FA

Ja'Whaun bentley - Pats for 2yrs/6M .. on paper its 9M but seems like incentives arent realistic
-------------------

-----------------

I wanted to go back and see if the Skins missed an opportunity to add a MLB but it seems like the pickings were slim but there were options. Kyzir White seems like the best fit but hes off ball (but reports saw he plays down hill well...)

Opinion - reach out to Ogletree and see if he still is in football shape, add him on a vet min camp invite and see what happens. Hes a vet MLB who is used to calling a defense.

Really hope they reach out to some soon for sure. White would have been good. Eagles loaded up on defense with White, Bradberry, Reddick, Jordan Davis, and Nkobe Dean. Feel this is why many picking them to win the East.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:53 AM   #1099
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I just wonder who's idea it was to run a 4-2? I'm not a fan of that defense at all. I know Brandon Staley does it and he is like the worst coach in the history of coaches. Now Del Rio and Ron are doing it and I think very little of Del Rio at this point. A better coach could get more out of this defense.

I hate to say it but Gregg Williams could get more out of these guys than Del Rio. We'll see but I have seen enough to know that either the talent is overrated or the coaching isn't good enough. Probably a little of both.
Start of last season ... seemed like the D philosophy was get to 3rd and long then hope your expensive front 4 could get pressure ... but it just didnt happen. we got shredded 3rd and long after 3rd and long w the front 4 not getting pressure and teams targeting our LB soft zone areas.

Relying on that front 4 to be able to create pressure wasnt bad thinking ... just didnt happen .. coaching or guys not following instructions/freelancing (not showing maturity as Ron would say)
Old 07-27-2022, 10:55 AM   #1100
MTK
\m/

I'd bet a good majority of the league plays in a nickel/dime hybrid type of D most of the time. The old days of lining up strictly 3-4 or 4-3 70% of the time is over.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:00 AM   #1101
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCommandersfan99 View Post
Really hope they reach out to some soon for sure. White would have been good. Eagles loaded up on defense with White, Bradberry, Reddick, Jordan Davis, and Nkobe Dean. Feel this is why many picking them to win the East.
Yikes ... hopefully Jalen hurts fucks up their parade.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:43 AM   #1102
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:
Yikes ... hopefully Jalen hurts fucks up their parade.
They have a good running game, good receivers now, a strong te and a top oline. Literally, Hurts is the only question mark along with their head coach only being in his second year in the position. People can spin Philly any way they want but they are pretty stacked now. Those defensive acquisitions are no joke at all along with AJ Brown.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:35 AM   #1103
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:

Alex Ogletree - FA

-------------------

-----------------

I wanted to go back and see if the Skins missed an opportunity to add a MLB but it seems like the pickings were slim but there were options. Kyzir White seems like the best fit but hes off ball (but reports saw he plays down hill well...). Ja'Whaun Bentley may be too young/inexperienced for Ron and Co. to trust .. i think they want a vet. I want a vet in camp right now so he can start getting acclimated.

Ogletree is a good option IMO.

I was in favor of Myles Jack who signed for 8M/y with the Steelers. But if we're talking cheaper options, Van Noyle signed for 2.25 M with the Chargers.
In terms of guys still available, I'd give a vet min contract to Joe Schobert too, coming of a 1.7M contract with the Steelers he can't possibly be asking for crazy money, he's only 28, never injured from what I can find online, at the very least cheap quality depth...

Anyway, options being available or not isn't the issue. The coaching staff's will to address this glaring issue is.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:57 AM   #1104
EdmundDorf
The Starter

JP Finlay
@JPFinlayNBCS
·
21m
Vet LB off the board
Quote Tweet
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
· 15h
The #Jets are signing LB Kwon Alexander, formerly of the #49ers and #Saints, source said. He has familiarity with Robert Saleh from their days in SF. He gets a 1-year deal

And the list continues to shorten..... Bostic will the last one standing once the FO realise what everybody else has known for months.....
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:12 AM   #1105
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
JP Finlay
@JPFinlayNBCS
·
21m
Vet LB off the board
Quote Tweet
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
· 15h
The #Jets are signing LB Kwon Alexander, formerly of the #49ers and #Saints, source said. He has familiarity with Robert Saleh from their days in SF. He gets a 1-year deal

And the list continues to shorten..... Bostic will the last one standing once the FO realise what everybody else has known for months.....
Kwon Alexander is an intriguing case, still only 27, potential is not to prove anymore, a lot of injuries though, so availability is some what of a concern. Will be interesting to see how much he gets.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:21 AM   #1106
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Just no Bostic…I mean he’s terrible

Is he still on the roster? Talk about not earning your paycheck. Man.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 04:03 PM   #1107
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Ron Rivera’s Long-Term Plan Has Set the Commanders Up For the Future - Hogs Haven

https://www.hogshaven.com/2022/8/6/2...for-the-future
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:46 PM   #1108
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Ron Rivera’s Long-Term Plan Has Set the Commanders Up For the Future - Hogs Haven

https://www.hogshaven.com/2022/8/6/2...for-the-future
Don't worry guys, we're just waiting for some current Panthers linebackers to become free agents and then we're gonna tighten up that LB core.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:40 PM   #1109
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Every defense has a level that is the weakest. This team is no different.

Let's not forget this was a borderline top 5 defense in 2020 with these LBs:

Jon Bostic
Thomas Davis Sr.
Cole Holcomb
Khaleke Hudson
Mychal Kendricks
Jordan Kunaszyk
Jared Norris
Kevin Pierre-Louis
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 01:23 AM   #1110
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Every defense has a level that is the weakest. This team is no different.

Let's not forget this was a borderline top 5 defense in 2020 with these LBs:

Jon Bostic
Thomas Davis Sr.
Cole Holcomb
Khaleke Hudson
Mychal Kendricks
Jordan Kunaszyk
Jared Norris
Kevin Pierre-Louis
Jon Bostic had a very disappointing season in 2020, but Holcomb was on the rise, KPL was playing solid and even with that the weakness at LB showed a lot. This D was only good against weak offenses that year.
This year we can't even line up 3 decent LBs on the field. And that's assuming Jamin Davis takes a big step forward, which isn't a guarantee.