Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Skins v ravens GDT 7 pm Saturday

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-28-2022, 07:08 PM   #31
That Guy
Living Legend

Re: Skins v ravens GDT 7 pm Saturday

howell looked good (2 really bad plays - big sack and should have been an int throw), surprised he did have that much of an issue dealing with all the long yardage due to penalties.

secondary guys that were playing are awful (they picked on 34 a lot, and he let them)

how many holding calls went against the team? 40? I've never seen so many 1st and 20s.

No injuries that I saw, so that's a win.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-28-2022, 07:48 PM   #32
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCommandersfan99 View Post
Just rewatched the game on replay. Thoughts below:

1) Liked what I saw from Howell. He has a strong arm, pretty accurate, and can make plays. Love the running dimension he brings.

2) Brown can get open but his hands are questionable at this point. Needs to be corrected asap if he as future. He had a few balls this week and at KC that could have been catches.

3) Still really like Jarret Patterson. Hope he makes the team. Love how he runs and it is evident he is a natural rb.

4) 2nd string oline terrible in pass protection. This could be a big problem quickly if we have to resort to them. They may want to look at new guys now.

5) 2nd string secondary got torched. Literally abused and embarrassed by Robinson. Think Chiefs will regret not keeping him. They ought to look at upgrading this unit also.

Very ready for regular season football. Jacksonville is a big opener for a lot of reasons. They will be ready.
Like as been said, it was our 3rd/4th stringers, but they did indeed look absolutely terrible... except for rookie Chris Paul, I thought in contrast he looked really good. For what it's worth without the All 22, he was the only Oline seemingly playing very well out there.
Our Oline depth is very solid.

Practice squad journey man WR Matt Cole made a couple of really tough catches, may help him find a spot somewhere, don't think there's room for him on this roster, or maybe we keep him on PS.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:10 PM   #33
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

D Johnson fell for it, D Neal fell for it. Neither should be on the final 53.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 11:15 PM   #34
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
D Johnson fell for it, D Neal fell for it. Neither should be on the final 53.
Got a weak spot for Danny Johnson since he took time to take a picture with me during warm ups in 2018, and he's managed to play decently enough to hand in there, but yeah he's getting badly burnt every now and then.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:45 AM   #35
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
Unless Howell blows Rivera away, I believe Rivera will keep Heinicke as #2 this year. We all know how Rivera doesn't like to play rookies unless it's necessary (Cam Newton is the exception).
Howell blows Heinicke away. Its no surprise that a dinosaur like Ron would choose not to make him the backup just because he's a rookie. Its time to move on from Heinicke.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:08 AM   #36
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Howell blows Heinicke away. Its no surprise that a dinosaur like Ron would choose not to make him the backup just because he's a rookie. Its time to move on from Heinicke.

I think I agree, but RR did bump Robinson up ahead of Gibson. I think there is probably plenty of time to worry about QB -2 with Wentz here though. In other words I hope neither Howell or Heinicke see the field at all this year.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:42 AM   #37
MTK
\m/

I'd still rather have Heinicke to relieve Wentz during a game or for a spot start, but if Wentz was going to be out for an extended time then I'd hand it over to Howell.
Old 08-29-2022, 08:51 AM   #38
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I'd still rather have Heinicke to relieve Wentz during a game or for a spot start, but if Wentz was going to be out for an extended time then I'd hand it over to Howell.

Agree - if Wentz goes down for an extended amount of time and the season seems out if reach then get Howell the experience but if Wentz is out for a limited time and the season is still in play let TH roll.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:32 AM   #39
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I think experience matters. Heinicke has proven it in the regular season and the playoffs that he can run this offense and can give the team a chance. Howell has proven that in the preseason against backups and players that may not make it onto a 53 man roster.

It appears that Howell is likely going to supplant Heinicke as the #2 at some point this season, but I don't see a reason to force it at this point.

I think there's this misconception that RR would rather roll with Veterans at the expense of the team, but like Punch said, it appears that he was willing to roll with Robinson ahead of Gibson, so I don't agree with that at all.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:43 AM   #40
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I think experience matters. Heinicke has proven it in the regular season and the playoffs that he can run this offense and can give the team a chance. Howell has proven that in the preseason against backups and players that may not make it onto a 53 man roster.

It appears that Howell is likely going to supplant Heinicke as the #2 at some point this season, but I don't see a reason to force it at this point.

I think there's this misconception that RR would rather roll with Veterans at the expense of the team, but like Punch said, it appears that he was willing to roll with Robinson ahead of Gibson, so I don't agree with that at all.
Agreed. I also like how RR is protecting Howell, to some extent, of the pressure that comes with the spotlight. By putting him 3rd on the depth chart he anticipates and limits the drama that would come with every Wentz' bad game if he was the back up. Give the kid some time to develop. If he is what we can expect him to be, his time will come.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:04 AM   #41
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I think I agree, but RR did bump Robinson up ahead of Gibson. I think there is probably plenty of time to worry about QB -2 with Wentz here though. In other words I hope neither Howell or Heinicke see the field at all this year.
You can hope for it but don't bet on it. And if a QB change is made it won't necessarily be due to an injury to Wentz. This season Wentz's entire career is at risk if he doesn't perform well. That's a lot of pressure to bear and I'm not yet convinced that he can handle it. You see, I think his issues at Philly and Indy might have been for the most part emotional.

Wentz has all the skills and athleticism to be a top QB if he can handle the pressure. Maybe he will and maybe he won't
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 10:08 AM   #42
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
You can hope for it but don't bet on it. And if a QB change is made it won't necessarily be due to an injury to Wentz. This season Wentz's entire career is at risk if he doesn't perform well. That's a lot of pressure to bear and I'm not yet convinced that he can handle it. You see, I think his issues at Philly and Indy might have been for the most part emotional.

Wentz has all the skills and athleticism to be a top QB if he can handle the pressure. Maybe he will and maybe he won't

I don’t doubt this could be the case at all whatsoever lol
Old 08-29-2022, 11:52 AM   #43
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Howell has looked good, throwing some strong down field outs and other throws Heinike cant make.

That said, I just assume our week 1 QB will be injured at some point and I dont think you can throw Howell out there as a 5th round rookie (but good college seasoning).

We most likely going to carry 3 QBs ... as we should every season imo. You should always have a mid late round rookie QB on there to develop and see if you struck gold.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 11:58 AM   #44
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Agree - if Wentz goes down for an extended amount of time and the season seems out if reach then get Howell the experience but if Wentz is out for a limited time and the season is still in play let TH roll.
I don't see why Howell cant spot play as easily as Heinicke can. Hopefully Wentz goes the distance but IMO the Heinicke thing has run its course.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 01:52 PM   #45
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

The question for me is, does Howell's arm strength trump Heinicke's NFL experience, and his experience in this system? I don't think it does. So if we're talking about winning, I think that right now, if Wentz went down you would have to go to Heinicke.

Maybe as the season progresses, so does Howell - to the point where he gives the team a better chance to win than Heinicke. But if we're talking about right now, I don't think we're there.