Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Coach Gibbs might consider extending stay.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-18-2007, 07:38 PM   #61
wilsowilso

Re: Coach Gibbs might consider extending stay.

If Gibbs wants to extend I'm all for it. I think that he should just become the GM after he finishes coaching. Just wanted to put my name in the hat as a big time Gibbs supporter.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-18-2007, 07:46 PM   #62
whummel
Camp Scrub

i think Joe will continue as head coach of the skins and maybe take us back to the super bowl in 09 i hope . rest in peace sean the team and all thier true fans will miss you very much and congrads on being selected to the first team probowl. may you rest in peace and may the lord make his light to shine upon you and look down on this team now that they need your help very much.
whummel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:37 PM   #63
dgack
The Starter

ARE's a bust? Compared to which of our other top-notch WR's?

Good lord, he's played like a WR1 many weeks, even though he was signed to be our WR3!
"To bring a Sherm Lewis in to a Jim Zorn and whoever his offensive coordinator is, it's like bringing in another man to help teach you how to make better love to your wife or something." -- Tre Johnson
dgack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:38 PM   #64
MTRedskinsFan

I noticed that SI.com also reported this story. I think the comments following the SI piece say a lot. Fans of other teams, especially NFC East teams, are praying Gibbs stays. A lot of other fans, including ones who have followed the Redskins for years, think the whole situation is laughable (in a bad way) at this point.

I kind of see both angles. Most Skins fans I hear away from this website think Gibbs' departure is overdue. The mistakes made in almost every facet of the organization have been appalling. I know a lot of noise was made about the "double time out" incident but some guys I know who have been Skins fans for 3 or 4 decades point out that a bigger picture w/ much bigger problems is the reality here. On the other hand, I also see that Gibbs brings something to the table, however intangible it may be. Maybe it's integrity, maybe stability, I don't really know.

Listening to all sides has given me some direction. Gibbs should probably stay but it seems insane, literally, for him to retain the position of head coach - even for '08. I think he can contribute in some important ways but it should be something easier, like GM or head of "Operations" or VP of Personnel. I gues I really hope he extends but in a different role.
MTRedskinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:45 PM   #65
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Fans of other teams are as stupid as Redskins fans then if they "pray for Gibbs to stay." But then, you do have fans of other teams (Giantone and Sandtrapjack for example) who are smart enough to know that Gibbs as our head coach is not, IS NOT, a liability. And I'll bet most Giants fans would rather have Gibbs leading them late in the season than Coughlin. Are there better coaches available than Gibbs? Possibly. Can we do worse? Absolutely. To say otherwise is...(Schneed, fill in the blank)
Old 12-18-2007, 10:49 PM   #66
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgack View Post

Good lord, he's played like a WR1 many weeks, even though he was signed to be our WR3!
43 catches, 636 yds, 0 TD.. Which #1 WR is he playing like?

Perhaps David Patten, Bobby Wade, Jeff King, James Jones, Eric Johnson? He trails all of them in receptions, yards and/or TD.. Not to mention he's made virtually no impact in the return game..

Sorry, I'm a huge fan of the guy, but that's a bust.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:52 PM   #67
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgack View Post

43 receptions and no touchdowns is "playing like a WR1" ??

I don't know if I would call him a 'bust', but with receiving and punt returns, he's been awfully quiet this year.

Even the hardcore haters seem to give him a pass.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:18 PM   #68
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Yeah I think people get caught up in the big name whiffs, and don't realize all the good things that he's done personnel wise. The good outnumbers the bad by far, but the big misses are what people remember.
Look, we've been through this before. I'll give him credit where it's due...

-- Jason Campbell looks good. He's got some real fine tuning to do, and I really hope he's the future at QB for many years to come. But I think there's still a question mark there.

-- Stephon Heyer performed admirably against Strahan. I was really worried about that matchup last week, but he came through in a big way. I think he's an excellent find as a backup, but as a 16 game starter? Not yet. Still, he was a great find.

-- Cedric Golston and Anthony Montgomery were absolute steals. In my book, they are by far Gibbs' greatest accomplishments as far as draft picks go. And to think they were 5th and 6th rounders? Stunning. Got no complaints there.

-- Rocky McIntosh and Chris Cooley represent solid talent and league leading stars respectively. Good finds, no doubt. But the problem is that they, along with Jason Campbell were 2 for 1 deals -- we had to pay DOUBLE to get them here.

Sure he has some 'hits'. But the misses have been nothing short of devastating, and in many cases their impacts haven't even been seen yet. How many future seasons will be affected by trading away two 3rd round picks, and two 4th round picks for guys that aren't even here, or are on their way out? The magnitude of those 'misses' are staggering.

Then there are the questionable moves -- trading away a 3rd for Brunnel. Tossing in a 2nd for Portis. And as I said in a previous post, Antwaan Randle El is frequently pointed out as a 'hit'. What exactly has he done that makes everyone mindlessly agree that he's a 'hit' when he has so little production to show for it?

And wasn't there some sentiment here on this board recently about Santana Moss and how some people aren't sure he is quite the fixture he was made out to be?

Then there are the 'bad with money' decisions -- Adam Archuleta, giving Darnerian McCants a $2 million bonus two weeks before he was declared inactive, then subsequently released.

Then there's Ryan Clark. Antonio Pierce. Warrick Holdman.

Sorry. I just don't see how the good picks outnumber the bad picks "by far." A losing record over the past four seasons simply doesn't support it.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:19 PM   #69
MTK
\m/

So all you can point out is 6 success stories in 4 years?

I'm not talking about just the draft either.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:22 PM   #70
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

For some reason, everyone assumes that we sacrificed future Hall of Famer when we traded away those 3rd and 4th round picks. That's a huge assumption to make
Old 12-18-2007, 11:22 PM   #71
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
In the above statistics the D looks good, but:

Giants: 17-3 Skins at Half / 21-0 NYG in 2nd L
Packers: 14-7 Skins at Half / 10-0 GB in 2nd L
Cards: 14-6 Skins at Half / 13-7 Cards in 2nd W
Eagles: 12-7 Skins at Half / 26-13 Eagles in 2nd L
Dallas: 10-7 Skins at Half / 21-13 Dallas in 2nd L
Bills: 9-2 Skins at Half / 15-7 Bills in 2nd L
Bears: 7-0 Skins at Half / 17-16 Skins in 2nd W

Also we are -7 in turnover ratio

If we could stay even in the 2nd half of two of these games we are 9-5. Sitting back watching that Cover-2 get picked apart in the 2nd half with almost no defensive shifts or blitzing is sickening. In each of these games it appears the opponent's offense adjusts to our gameplan at halftime and GW isn't prepared.
You can't blame the D entirely. The offense hasn't exactly pulled their weight at times and too often left the defense high and dry in the 2nd half of games.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:24 PM   #72
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
So all you can point out is 6 success stories in 4 years?
How does the possibility of a 30-34 record over four seasons translate into "success" ?
Old 12-18-2007, 11:26 PM   #73
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
For some reason, everyone assumes that we sacrificed future Hall of Famer when we traded away those 3rd and 4th round picks. That's a huge assumption to make
Nobody assumes they were future Hall of Famers. But might they have been more Anthony Montgomerys? More Golstons or Rock Cartwrights?
Old 12-18-2007, 11:28 PM   #74
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
How does the possibility of a 30-34 record over four seasons translate into "success" ?
Because the original point of this mini-discussion here started when you disputed RajMahal's point that Gibbs has done a good job of finding and developing youth. So really the past four years isn't the true indicator of success in this case.

It's about the potential success we we have ahead of us with guys like Campbell, Moss, Portis, Cooley, Heyer, Alexander, Landry, Rocky, Rogers, Montgomery, Golston, Doughty, Blades (among others) leading the way.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:28 PM   #75
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
I'm talking about individual players that we can either deem a good player (success) or bad player (failure). I'm looking at personnel only, I'm not talking about records.