Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

skins looking at Bryan Robinson (recent cut DE from bears)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-06-2004, 09:15 PM   #31
joecrisp
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
miami has more cap space due to their glaring holes on offense... we can't compete with that. we did make offers, so its not that the FO isn't trying, they're just getting outbid.
Yeah, I think it's important to note that the Redskins have attempted to improve their D-line, having bid and lost on Kearse, Wistrom, Ogunleye, Rod Coleman, Robaire Smith, Robinson and Douglas, as well as taking a good look at Kenny Holmes (who couldn't pass his physical and was recently cut by the Packers). There were also rumors that they attempted to pry John Abraham away from the Jets through a trade (though those rumors were denied at the time).

It's a little disheartening to know that many players slipped through the Redskins' hands, especially considering Snyder's penchant for throwing money around, but at least the team has tried to improve the D-line.

On the bright side, they were able to land a few guys that might improve the line, even if they aren't Pro Bowl-caliber players. Griffin, Daniels and Salave'a (as well as having Noble healthy again) should all be upgrades along that defensive front. Apparently Wynn is healthier this year than he's been in a while, and that, combined with improved coaching and scheming, could boost his performance as well.
joecrisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-06-2004, 09:28 PM   #32
illdefined
Playmaker

sure they tried, but how hard? this is Danny 'Swoop' Snyder we're talking about here. why is Redskin One still parked on the tarmac?

i've never known Snyder to be so denied when it came to a player, much less repeatedly and all at the same position. it must not REALLY be a priority for the team, because if it was, it woulda happened by now.

im praying they see something everyone else doesn't.
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 10:01 PM   #33
CRT3
Impact Rookie

There d-line has played fantastic during the preseason. Don't you forget that the 1st team had a goal line stand against Carolina. They have basiclly played no names and they have all done well. The real season will be the test but I believe this is not the unit to worry about. The Corners are what might hurt us.
CRT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 10:06 PM   #34
MTK
\m/

The defensive line will be improved over last year, but considering how piss poor they were last year I'm not sure if that's saying much.

Griffin is definitely an upgrade, and getting Noble back is also a positive. Salave'a and Haley should provide some depth in the rotation and Wynn and Daniels are both versatile enough to play tackle especially in passing situations.

Under the circumstances I think the team did enough to address the defensive line for now without going overboard and breaking the bank for someone like Kearse or Wistrom. After all, we did our share of overpaying for guys like Springs.

It would be nice if they would draft a young DT or DE stud next year so we can get some youth going up front.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 10:17 PM   #35
That Guy
Living Legend

i think they've gone soft on the offers cause of washington/springs/portis/taylor etc... we've taken a lot of huge contracts on an already large payroll... eventually even danny has to back off from overpaying...
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 10:29 PM   #36
joecrisp
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
i think they've gone soft on the offers cause of washington/springs/portis/taylor etc... we've taken a lot of huge contracts on an already large payroll... eventually even danny has to back off from overpaying...
I totally agree with that assessment. Don't forget Brunell, Griffin and Daniels, who have all been deemed grossly overpaid by the media. They poured a lot of money into big contracts this year, and they still have to take care of Smoot's contract also. That's a lot of money to try and hide under the future cap. I think it's safe to say that all of the players they acquired were necessities-- even if they weren't filling what most observers agree was their biggest need, which was on the defensive line.
joecrisp is offline   Reply With Quote