Redskins promote Greg Manusky to defensive coordinator

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-06-2017, 12:59 PM   #166
Bishop Hammer
Special Teams

Re: Redskins promote Greg Manusky to defensive coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I disagree on the Zorn one. I think Snyder panicked when the fan backlash against Fassel happened and went with plan B. IIRC they had hired Zorn as offensive coordinator (s/n picking coordinators before a head coach? Weak) and my memory is a little vague about what happens next, but after the fan rejection of Fassel and the realization not many head coaches would be ok not having their choice of coordinators they panicked and promoted Zorn.
Another idiotic and meddlesome Snyder move. I can't belive there were some fans who actually thought hiring coordinators before having a coach, in a place, was a smart idea? Fassell was so desperate to become a head coach, again, he would've come here even with pre-ordered coordinators; which shows how little in demand he was wanted by other teams.
he's already in me
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored

Stone Roses
"I wanna be adored"
Bishop Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-06-2017, 01:18 PM   #167
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
I can't remember the big deal with Fassel anyway. Was it that he hadn't been a head coach in the league for awhile and people felt the game had passed him by? Seems like he has always remained close to football in some form or fashion, which is different from the Joe Gibbs hiring. Gibbs had been away from football for like 12 years or so. Yet, he still was able to take the 'skins to two playoff appearance and a playoff win. Just wondering how Fassel would have worked out?
I was against the decision at the time and still am. He had been out of football and his only claim to fame is getting blown out by the Ravens in the Super Bowl and then several mediocre years afterward before he got fired. Why hire a crappy retread that wasn't in demand at all.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:50 PM   #168
MTK
\m/

Redskins promote Greg Manusky to defensive coordinator

Well he was certainly more qualified than Zorn. Much more qualified.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:25 PM   #169
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Well he was certainly more qualified than Zorn. Much more qualified.
I will concede that. Still doesn't paint our franchise in a good light that when it came down to it, our options were old retread with a mediocre track record or a qb coach who had never been a coordinator. That's a failure on Vinny and Dan by extension for allowing Vinny to make that decision in the first place.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:12 PM   #170
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop Hammer View Post
Another idiotic and meddlesome Snyder move. I can't belive there were some fans who actually thought hiring coordinators before having a coach, in a place, was a smart idea? Fassell was so desperate to become a head coach, again, he would've come here even with pre-ordered coordinators; which shows how little in demand he was wanted by other teams.
This is 100% true. As I understand it, the Redskins were the only NFL team to reach out to Fassell. He was talking to the UFL at the same time but obviously the NFL was where he wanted to be.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:29 PM   #171
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I was against the decision at the time and still am. He had been out of football and his only claim to fame is getting blown out by the Ravens in the Super Bowl and then several mediocre years afterward before he got fired. Why hire a crappy retread that wasn't in demand at all.

He certainly was not Vince Lombardi but he had a hell of a better resume than Jim Zorn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fassel
Old 04-06-2017, 09:02 PM   #172
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
I will concede that. Still doesn't paint our franchise in a good light that when it came down to it, our options were old retread with a mediocre track record or a qb coach who had never been a coordinator. That's a failure on Vinny and Dan by extension for allowing Vinny to make that decision in the first place.
If we shit the bed this year, and some other things go wrong including having Cousins walk / trading Cousins in 2018, that will be our options again I'm afraid. I think Gruden and his staff gets to play out his last two years unless this coming year is horrible, like 3-13 or something that bad...

Maybe more pressure than we've ever had to have three consecutive winning seasons, which i really don't know when the last time we did that. Had to be some time in the 70's or 80's.....
Old 04-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #173
Kope
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Maybe more pressure than we've ever had to have three consecutive winning seasons, which i really don't know when the last time we did that. Had to be some time in the 70's or 80's.....
Or the team continues to grow and solidify under Gruden and Allen. Please dont forget how much better the team was last year. Two years ago any good team whipped us, like 2 to 3 scores bad. Last year we held our own across the board except for Pit in week 1.

Gruden has shown clear growth each year. He did again this off season by getting rid of DC, DB, and DL. The D will be better under Manusky. Watch the effect hiring Tomsula has on DL. He might not be a HC but he is a legit PRO DL coach. Look at how many kids the new DBs coach has in the pros from FLA and VT...yes that is athletes but that is coaching too. The team will be better over all.

In reality, Snyder's biggest sin is he does not even try to have a relationship with the local media; antagonizes them even. Not. Smart. He pissed off the Post year 1 and hasn't backed down. Jerry Jones has done some extra stupid things on the order of Snyder.... but they give him a pass because he makes sure he has a good relationship with the press.

Follow the team, enjoy the team, support the team, and leave the fault finding to others with an agenda.
Kope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #174
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
If we shit the bed this year, and some other things go wrong including having Cousins walk / trading Cousins in 2018, that will be our options again I'm afraid. I think Gruden and his staff gets to play out his last two years unless this coming year is horrible, like 3-13 or something that bad...

'89-'92 was the last time period in which this team had more than two consecutive winning seasons. I was a teenager. I'm now in my 40's.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:38 PM   #175
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
He certainly was not Vince Lombardi but he had a hell of a better resume than Jim Zorn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fassel
Idk how I got shoehorned into saying Jim Zorn was on Jim Fassel's level. They were both terrible choices, and reflective of what a shitshow this franchise was after Gibbs left.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #176
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Idk how I got shoehorned into saying Jim Zorn was on Jim Fassel's level. They were both terrible choices, and reflective of what a shitshow this franchise was after Gibbs left.

Just sayin that Fassel would have been a better choice.He had been to the playoffs and to the super bowl.Not to mention worked wonders with Kerry Collins a retread at QB.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:05 AM   #177
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

This isn't about Manusky, but about the other coordinator. Awesome interview, I'm a fan of this guy. I think our offense is still in great hands.

Redskins Home

Between him, Gruden, and Callahan, our offense is in great shape.

Httr.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:15 AM   #178
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
This isn't about Manusky, but about the other coordinator. Awesome interview, I'm a fan of this guy. I think our offense is still in great hands.

Redskins Home

Between him, Gruden, and Callahan, our offense is in great shape.

Httr.
great interview and post. Very interesting about red zone offense, and I especially agree with bigger receivers solve the red zone issues, that's just not true:

Cavanaugh chalks that up to not executing - in play calls, in passes, in catches and in runs. He dispelled the notion that big receivers will inherently solve all of these issues in 2017.

"But that will be a part of it," Cavanaugh said. "We're going to have more size on the perimeter. But we've got some talented people. We've spent a lot of time this offseason studying everybody in the league and some of their red zone concepts. Many we already have in our playbook, a couple that we've added. So now we've got to go out and execute over the next three months and get ready for the season to start and hopefully we have that consistency with a good mix of run and pass down there and just make more plays, quite honestly."

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote