Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Problem w/ Cowboys giant screen.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #76
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Re: Problem w/ Cowboys giant screen.

I really can't kill JJ or Dallas for this -- the screen is well within NFL regulations. It needs to be moved, but the league needs to pay for it and change the rules. I'm sure if you built a fence in your yard that was within homeowners regulations, then they come tell you it's too short -- you're not going to pull up and start over out of your own checkbook. Either make the homeowners association pay for it, or say deal with it.

That said, I wish we had a jumbotron that didn't have pixels the size of cars. When you look up it looks like Techmobowl on ours. GO BO GO!

Advertisements
Old 08-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #77
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Old stadium: Ran out of money and left with an ugly hole in the roof that causes horrible shadows on the field.

New stadium: Purposely spent money to replicate the ugly hole in the roof and in a massive spending effort, installed a punt-blocking TV screen over the field.

This is hilarious...only in Dallas would this crap happen. At least this screen won't be affecting any games of importance, since Dallas has not won a playoff game in 13 years and counting.

The league should massively fine him for every week he does not move it, whether it affects a kick or not. Knowing Jones and his ego, he'll pay the fine before admitting he was wrong (stupid).
Seriously? Why should they be fined if the league already signed off on it?
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #78
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Everyone keeps talking about these regulations...I'd like to see them in their original text.

Most stadiums have scoreboards/screens on the ends. Do these specs actually refer to "normal" scoreboards. Do they say anything about over-field obstructions? I ask because 85 feet is VERY LOW to be talking about something hanging over mid-field considering that punts and kicks can easily reach that height. I don't believe the NFL would specify a height for a structure that would easily interfere with such a frequent play.

It can't be talking about something hanging in the center the way I see it. Possibly, the league never had the foresight to think someone would be so arrogant or spendy to install something so massive directly over the field and never had a regulation for it...so they cited the "normal" scoreboard specs that are usually installed in a location that does not interfere with a ball within the bounds of the playing field.

This whole "meets league regulations" just seems like an excuse or passing of blame by Jones and his defenders...the height of the regulation being cited just seems fishy if talking about something over the field. Punts and kicks can easily hit something if this truly is the regulation speaking of hanging over the field...I just don't buy that the NFL would have this measurement on the books for this specific case. Maybe they used another regulation and applied it to the Jerrytron because it was never a question before...but I doubt he truly meet a specific requirement that was talking exactly about that screen.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #79
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
Seriously? Why should they be fined if the league already signed off on it?
If they determine it needs moved and he refuses...fines are in order.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #80
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Old stadium: Ran out of money and left with an ugly hole in the roof that causes horrible shadows on the field.

New stadium: Purposely spent money to replicate the ugly hole in the roof and in a massive spending effort, installed a punt-blocking TV screen over the field.

This is hilarious...only in Dallas would this crap happen. At least this screen won't be affecting any games of importance, since Dallas has not won a playoff game in 13 years and counting.

The league should massively fine him for every week he does not move it, whether it affects a kick or not. Knowing Jones and his ego, he'll pay the fine before admitting he was wrong (stupid).
I've never heard that they ran out of money and that was the reason the old stadium had the hole. Those type roof's are designed a certain way for support reasons and you cannot at the last minute decide to leave out structure that the roof depends on for its suport and design. JJ can rais this thing anytime he decides its a problem with a push of a botton so its no real big deal.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #81
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I've never heard that they ran out of money and that was the reason the old stadium had the hole. Those type roof's are designed a certain way for support reasons and you cannot at the last minute decide to leave out structure that the roof depends on for its suport and design. JJ can rais this thing anytime he decides its a problem with a push of a botton so its no real big deal.
It was supposed to be a dome. There ended up being structural problems without the money to fix them. Plus, the owner said they're using the Stadium for the '71 opener whether it was ready or not. Well, it wasn't ready. So instead of admitting bad planning, they said they designed it that way "So God can watch his team play". Ridiculous, but later everyone could mockingly say it was "So God can keep an eye on the criminals".
Old 08-24-2009, 12:15 PM   #82
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Everyone keeps talking about these regulations...I'd like to see them in their original text.
yeah i would too. i tried to do an internet search for the actual language. found nothing. did find a texas a&m message board where a poster said he read the regulation text and the cowboys stadium is within regs but didnt post the link to where he found the actual nfl language.

if anyone comes across the actual language please post a link, id like to read it.

go skins!!
Old 08-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #83
hail_2_da_skins
Impact Rookie

I really thing Jerry Jones intention was to create a palace more impressive than Dan Snyder's palace. In the process, the Cowboys have this larger than life video screen/scoreboard that dangles over the entire field. Punters are going to continue to hit it and if it continues to delay ball games something is going to have to be done. Dig deeper in your wallet Jerry Jones, raise the scoreboard.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #84
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Well all indications are the league competition committee is acting quickly on the scoreboard issue. There have already been a few meetings by the committee on this and more to come is all but assured.

The league "greenlighted" the scoreboard to be suspended 85 feet above the field. The scoreboard is currently positioned at 90 feet above the field. The NFL states that any scoreboard must be no lower than 85 feet from the field.

So Jones would be within his rights to tell the league that he will not raise the scoreboard. But I woud think that if the league ORDERS it raised (which is within thier right) then, they will probably volunteer to share a portion of the financial burden of raising it.

Just raise it already, before the season starts.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #85
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Dude, you are an OL injury or two from having a pathetic offense.

People who live in glass houses...
.....shouldn't throw stones. Yeah I know.

But Campbell is 4 for 13 in two preseason games. So I guess it is okay for him to throw stones in a glass house, lord knows he wont hit anything.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:22 PM   #86
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
If they determine it needs moved and he refuses...fines are in order.
If they determine it needs to be moved after having approved it per standard review process, then JJ is legally w/in his right to keep it as is. The league will likely have to pony up any funds needed, unless there's more to this than meets the eye, like somehow they find the process was circumvented.

The only way I can see dallas getting fined is if the league & JJ come to agreement on how to fix the issue, yet he doesn't follow through. IF all remains as it is now, I don't see any legal means by which he could be fined.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #87
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
.....shouldn't throw stones. Yeah I know.

But Campbell is 4 for 13 in two preseason games. So I guess it is okay for him to throw stones in a glass house, lord knows he wont hit anything.

touche Sandtrap.

But on the real; do you worry that this stadium, for all its luxuries & engineering feats (aside from the scoreboard), actually will diminish the home field advantage?

I think that standing room only ticket idea is brilliant on one hand, yet may lead to an unruly crowd. The jumbo tron will encourage fans to only watch the screen, then if they leave their seat they won't feel their missing the live game, they'll just watch the screen in the corridors, reducing the crowd noise.

We Skins fans that were blessed to visit RFK in its day know what a great home field advantage it had. FedEx took that away & seems so much less personal.

I went to texas stadium for the skins game in 07 & thought it was a great venue, though ugly from the outside. There were few bad seats in the house. Like rfk the crowd is on top of the action, loud, focused & intense.

I appreciate what this stadium is, its cutting edge & looks great. But I look for cowboys stadium to only be really loud in big games, though I know it was designed to retain noise. Your thoughts?
Old 08-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #88
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
touche Sandtrap.

But on the real; do you worry that this stadium, for all its luxuries & engineering feats (aside from the scoreboard), actually will diminish the home field advantage?

I think that standing room only ticket idea is brilliant on one hand, yet may lead to an unruly crowd. The jumbo tron will encourage fans to only watch the screen, then if they leave their seat they won't feel their missing the live game, they'll just watch the screen in the corridors, reducing the crowd noise.

We Skins fans that were blessed to visit RFK in its day know what a great home field advantage it had. FedEx took that away & seems so much less personal.

I went to texas stadium for the skins game in 07 & thought it was a great venue, though ugly from the outside. There were few bad seats in the house. Like rfk the crowd is on top of the action, loud, focused & intense.

I appreciate what this stadium is, its cutting edge & looks great. But I look for cowboys stadium to only be really loud in big games, though I know it was designed to retain noise. Your thoughts?
Been to a lot of games at Texas Stadium, and one thing I noticed is there really is not a home field advantage as far as fan participation.

Never have a I seen an opposing QB call a time out in a 3 and goal because of the "rowdy" Texas fans that get so loud that they cannot hear a snap count.

That is one think I envy about Redskins games at FedEx, fan participation.

All of those "white-collar corporate pencil necks" at Texas Stadium (and now Cowboys Stadium) simply don't get into the action as most would elsewhere.

I have sat in Texas Stadium everywhere from the lower level, to the nose bleeds to the end zones. And everywhere I sit, even I can hear the damn snap count of the oppositions QB.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:14 PM   #89
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

The worst seats in the stadium...toward the end of the video

JJ sure is getting a lot of buzz for this scoreboard issue. Can't help but wonder if he didn't know this would happen and he planned on raising it anyway, but not before the stadium got some more attention.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #90
53Fan
Franchise Player

If the city told you the roof on your new house only had to be 6 feet tall but you knew you would constantly bump your head on the ceiling would you still build the roof 6 feet off the ground? This is f**king ridiculous.