Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Taylor to Return w/o Restructure or Paycut

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Keeping Jason Taylor at his current $8.5M salary is...
A good move, thumbs up 37 32.17%
A bad move, I hate it 78 67.83%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #31
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Re: Taylor to Return w/o Restructure or Paycut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I'm glad he didn't restructure. If he did, it would mean spreading his cap numbers out over the next few seasons. If a new CBA is reached, that would mean his numbers would count against us when he won't even be on the team. No thanks. We've done enough of spreading out contracts of older players with our "restructuring."

I say we experiment with Andre Carter at full time LDE, and put Taylor where he has excelled in the past - RDE. It's not like Carter dominated from the right side last year. Of course if that happens, we'll need a damn good Will LB to play behind Taylor for run support.

In light of this decision by Vinny and the gang, I expect Shawn Springs to be gone, especially since we're in full-on negotiations with D.Hall. I also think IF Phillip Daniels is still in the teams plans even after he hits the FA market, he'll be playing for the vet minimum.
I also think this makes the most sense but have big concerns. First off it makes better sense than what Blache did last year - JT @ LDE and AC @ RDE - because Carter is the heavier and arguably stouter of the two, albeit not by much. Still i won't be at all comfortable w/ Carter as the only run-stopping option there i.e. i think we need Evans or Daniels to play there on obvious running downs and goal line situations. Paying JT the full 8 mill makes it less likely we keep Evans agreed? Second we will need monster performances from the entire LB corp, which is part of what bothers me here... we haven't addressed LB here at all but just kept another DE starter.

Advertisements
Old 02-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #32
DirtyLandry
Special Teams

[quote=Hamoskinz;528923]
Quote:
Its great you guys are confident/hoping JT will have a great year in the B'n'G uniform. I am ticked off at what we gave up to get him and what we got instead.
So by your standards, a player should get one year to prove himself to a franchise, despite injury.
Quote:
In between the picks we gave up and the money we gave him for the production we got, he needs to play every game like that Eagles game to see us getting any benefit from the trade.
Your basically saying that Taylor needs to have 32 sacks next season to justify the picks and the money. Okay.
Quote:
I am hoping that with his leg being 100%, he will finally get to beat RTs on a regular basis cause i am sick of watching him getting stood up @ the line, can't push and no speed to rush the outside.
I guess your being slightly optomistic, even though everyone else is confident/hoping that he will have a good year.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #33
53Fan
Franchise Player

I hope JT has a good year because I'm a Redskin fan and to do otherwise would be counter-productive.......but 8mil is B.S.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #34
Schneed10
A Dude

I think back to the Eagles game late in the season when the guy had two sacks, one of which forced a fumble which London Fletcher recovered and led to a touchdown. That was a flash of what he can do for us when healthy.

I would have liked to see the cap number come down, but I'm pretty excited to see what he can do for us when healthy.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #35
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ever View Post
Well Skinny dont forget this news of Taylor comes just 2 days after the release of M Washington. The Redskins are expected to save in the ballpark of $4 million following the release of SLB Marcus Washington on Friday. Now we know why.

As GMScud said Springs is next. Not sure of what his cap savings is. Maybe Daniels as well.
With releasing Marcus we're still at 4 million over the cap. I don't know how much we'll save by cutting Springs but is that necessarily a good thing? If Springs is cut and we aren't able to sign Hall we'll just have Rogers as CB.

Also if we sign Hall how much space would we really have available after that?

Releasing Springs may sound like a solution to the cap space but I'm not sure I'm all gung ho for it.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #36
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post
With releasing Marcus we're still at 4 million over the cap. I don't know how much we'll save by cutting Springs but is that necessarily a good thing? If Springs is cut and we aren't able to sign Hall we'll just have Rogers as CB.

Releasing Springs may sound like a solution to the cap space but I'm not sure I'm all gung ho for it.
No, we're 3.3 million under the cap after releasing Marcus.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:41 PM   #37
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Does that include Daniels savings.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #38
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
My bad ...disregard then. I thought I caught an article that said we we're still over by 4M.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #39
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
Does that include Daniels savings.
No it doesn't. Once his contract voids we'll save another $2.3 million or so, taking us from $3.3 million in space to $5.6 million in space.

Of course it's quite possible we turn right around and sign him again, but for less.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #40
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
My bad ...disregard then. I thought I caught an article that said we we're still over by 4M.

Thanks for the heads up.
I saw an ESPN article saying something similar a few days ago, I think it was Clayton. Yeah that's way off. He's probably pulling that from outdated information (we were about $4 million over the cap for a good part of January), or the source for his accounting is flat out poor.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:07 PM   #41
44ever

Quote:

Brother, we better get Hall. I wish we would have got that deal done before the 27th and been done with it, we would have a clearer picture of our cap and what we should do with Springs.

I'm still waiting to get SmootSmacks input on this situation to get his POV of how and who plays what positions if we indeed put JT in RDE. and everyone else stays.

If we dont sign Hall well theres some extra $ and in that case we better hope Rogers learned how to catch a ball and has no hard feelings. And we did'nt cut Springs. Maybe Smoot makes a comeback

As far as cap goes, I think we will have a little room but not much. I'll leave that to Schneed10

Hall is complicating things a bit. Its possible we may get burnt in the end. Hope not.

Last edited by 44ever; 02-22-2009 at 10:14 PM.
44ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:33 PM   #42
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
No it doesn't. Once his contract voids we'll save another $2.3 million or so, taking us from $3.3 million in space to $5.6 million in space.

Of course it's quite possible we turn right around and sign him again, but for less.
If we cut Springs I believe we save $6M, which would put us at $9.3M under. Letting Daniels walk would save us $2.3 pushing it to $11.6 under. Say we re-sign Daniels for a vet minimum style contract, and give Evans a raise to where his '09 number is like $1.5-ish; then we would still be close to $9M under. I would think that would leave us room for D.Hall and a free agent or two plus draft picks.

I'm not a salary cap guru AT ALL, so maybe someone could chime in on this...
Old 02-22-2009, 10:36 PM   #43
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Here's the key phrase in the article: "We're not doing anything with Jason," Washington vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato said. "He's going to be with us and that's it. That's the plan."

That's the plan, gives VC an out with regards to any changes with JT. Keep in mind this is the same VC who told the media flat out that the Skins were not speaking to Miami regarding JT. It's just posturing at this point. Right now we have to assume that we get no help at OLB or at DE from FA or the draft. If that's the case then JT will have to fill a role for us at either postion. I don't believe Carter will be moved from RDE, JT will either play LDE on passing downs with Evans in on run plays. Or Blache may attempt to see if JT can be used at OLB.

If we get some help at LB or DE in FA or the draft then all bets are off and if we're in a position where we need JT's 8M in cap space, he'll be gone.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #44
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
If we cut Springs I believe we save $6M, which would put us at $9.3M under. Letting Daniels walk would save us $2.3 pushing it to $11.6 under. Say we re-sign Daniels for a vet minimum style contract, and give Evans a raise to where his '09 number is like $1.5-ish; then we would still be close to $9M under. I would think that would leave us room for D.Hall and a free agent or two plus draft picks.

I'm not a salary cap guru AT ALL, so maybe someone could chime in on this...
Does all this assume the full salary to JT? I mean are we currently 3.6 million under even w/ the 8.5 million on the books?

Schneed?
Old 02-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #45
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Does all this assume the full salary to JT? I mean are we currently 3.6 million under even w/ the 8.5 million on the books?

Schneed?
Yeah, he's under a contract we assumed when we traded for him. That contract runs through the '09 season. So the numbers being discussed are with his salary on the books.