If we were to run a 3-4 i would set it up like this:

Monty, yes monty at NT
Haynesworth DE
Daniels DE
Wilson OLB
Orakpo OLB
Fletcher ILB
Rocky ILB

I like this setup if we did go 3-4. I believe in 2 drafts we would be set at the lacking positions. Look at the Steelers, it doesnt happen overnight. look at the 1st rounders on that defense
Im not sold on da U. I think they beat up on a overrated GT tonight. The same GT that just escaped Clemson and was shut down on O for most of the night just like tonight.

Advertisements
Old 09-18-2009, 07:34 AM   #17
#56fanatic
The Starter

Re: Run the 3-4 Anybody?

I dont understand why people want to change the defense. Over the last 5 to 7 years its the only damn thing that has been consistant. Top 10, hell top 5 in total D 4 out of the last 5 years. We played very well against probably the best O-line in the NFL last week. Jacobs didn't have his usual big day, we stuffed the run all day. Only thing I would like us to do, Is send more pressure. Eli basically had all day to throw the ball when we sent our front 4. When we did send pressure we forced bad throws, messed up the timing of some things and got hits on him. Now, not every line we face is going to be near as good as the G-men, but we have to go through them to get to the playoffs. The next few weeks we should see more sacks from our front 4, but we have to be comfortable sending blitzes against teams that have good olines, we can't sit back in the cover2 zones, we get burned all day in that crap.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:44 AM   #18
MTK
\m/

Ahh the yearly 3-4 discussion.

Surprised this didn't come up in the preseason.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #19
FRPLG
MVP

We don't have the personnel. Pretty simple.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #20
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
We don't have the personnel. Pretty simple.
so basically...[/thread]

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #21
Zerohero
Impact Rookie

Why change the one thing that works.
Zerohero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #22
hail_2_da_skins
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic View Post
I dont understand why people want to change the defense. Over the last 5 to 7 years its the only damn thing that has been consistant. Top 10, hell top 5 in total D 4 out of the last 5 years. We played very well against probably the best O-line in the NFL last week. Jacobs didn't have his usual big day, we stuffed the run all day. Only thing I would like us to do, Is send more pressure. Eli basically had all day to throw the ball when we sent our front 4. When we did send pressure we forced bad throws, messed up the timing of some things and got hits on him. Now, not every line we face is going to be near as good as the G-men, but we have to go through them to get to the playoffs. The next few weeks we should see more sacks from our front 4, but we have to be comfortable sending blitzes against teams that have good olines, we can't sit back in the cover2 zones, we get burned all day in that crap.
I think the reason a lot of fans are asking for a change in the defense is because this defense does not create enough havoc. It's a bend and don't break approach that allows teams to move the ball if they are patient. The key to beating the Redskins defense is to convert on third down and take advantage of the man coverage. With the Redskin personnel, we as fans expect more sacks, quarterback hurries, interceptions and fumbles. The defense seems passive.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:13 AM   #23
warriorzpath

I don't think 3-4 would suit the redskins d right now. Their strength (and depth) right now is at the defensive line. Even though, Fletcher is one of the strongest players on defense right now, the linebackers corps is not strong as a whole. Like some others are suggesting, I think you would need the lb group to be a strength and also have some depth. These are two things at linebacker that the redskins are lacking.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #24
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic View Post
I agree with you and I don't understand all the Blache sucks stuff after our D was 4th last year. People need to look at the O's numbers if they want to bitch.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:20 AM   #25
warriorzpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail_2_da_skins View Post
I think the reason a lot of fans are asking for a change in the defense is because this defense does not create enough havoc. It's a bend and don't break approach that allows teams to move the ball if they are patient. The key to beating the Redskins defense is to convert on third down and take advantage of the man coverage. With the Redskin personnel, we as fans expect more sacks, quarterback hurries, interceptions and fumbles. The defense seems passive.
I think one major problem with the redskins d is the coverage in the middle on passing plays. In trying to adjust to this problem, they have overcompensated and it has led to issues in other areas, too. I think once they have figured out how to fix this, the defense will become more solid.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #26
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I agree with you and I don't understand all the Blache sucks stuff after our D was 4th last year. People need to look at the O's numbers if they want to bitch.
No one said the O doesn't need to improve. But the D does also.

2008 Redskins Team Rankings:

- #30 in Total Turnovers created by the D
- # 28 in Sacks
- 0 Defensive Touchdowns

We are not the 4th best defense in the NFL, we were only #4 in total yards allowed. While we look good statistically in yards & points the key is to stop people when you need to in the 4th quarter and create game changing plays. Our D didn't do either last year. The FO did what it could to solve the problem (AH, Hall, Orakpo). The coaching staff needs to handle it's business or we'll only see a slight improvement.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #27
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinhimself View Post
I think Blache is a great old school coach, and there is a lot to consider, but last year he said he'd be done after this year.

I don't think I would love anything more than for the FO to hire a really agressive up and coming D-coordinator to switch the front 7 to a 3-4. We have the personnel I think.
Orakpo- who's playing so far from his natural position as a 4-3 SAM linebacker
Jarmon- pass rusher
Carter
McIntosh
Fletcher
then for D-line: Haynesworth at NT, then you have Griffin, Alexander, Montgomery and Golston.

What are your thoughts? Who are potential candidates?

It's just something I thought about while sitting on my ass watching this G-Tech- Miami game.
Everyone thinks that switching to a 3-4 is the way to go because of teams like the Ravens and Steelers. But there are teams that run the 4-3 as successful as them(Giants, Eagles, Bears). I see a couple things that can be addressed without switching to a 3-4
1.) Blache needs to draw up some blitzes more often to get more pressure. Rushing 4 is not going to get it done.
2.) Play the corners tighter to the line.
3.) Use Laron's closer to the line of scrimmage. He's to good of a football player to be the teams "safety net".

Maybe a new coordinator but the 4-3 is here to stay.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #28
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
No one said the O doesn't need to improve. But the D does also.

2008 Redskins Team Rankings:

- #30 in Total Turnovers created by the D
- # 28 in Sacks
- 0 Defensive Touchdowns

We are not the 4th best defense in the NFL, we were only #4 in total yards allowed. While we look good statistically in yards & points the key is to stop people when you need to in the 4th quarter and create game changing plays. Our D didn't do either last year. The FO did what it could to solve the problem (AH, Hall, Orakpo). The coaching staff needs to handle it's business or we'll only see a slight improvement.
Honestly, I don't understand why the rankings are based solely on yards allowed. Maybe they need to come up with some type of formula (a la QB rating) to rate defenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
Everyone thinks that switching to a 3-4 is the way to go because of teams like the Ravens and Steelers. But there are teams that run the 4-3 as successful as them(Giants, Eagles, Bears). I see a couple things that can be addressed without switching to a 3-4
1.) Blache needs to draw up some blitzes more often to get more pressure. Rushing 4 is not going to get it done.
2.) Play the corners tighter to the line.
3.) Use Laron's closer to the line of scrimmage. He's to good of a football player to be the teams "safety net".

Maybe a new coordinator but the 4-3 is here to stay.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Packers' transition to the 3-4. I do think that you need to have the right personnel for this defense and plan way ahead (not just switch a "4-3 to 3-4" button) of time. But personnel is the key, and now teams like the Pats are switching back to the 4-3 b/c they lack the right players for the 3-4.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #29
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Honestly, I don't understand why the rankings are based solely on yards allowed. Maybe they need to come up with some type of formula (a la QB rating) to rate defenses.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Packers' transition to the 3-4. I do think that you need to have the right personnel for this defense and plan way ahead (not just switch a "4-3 to 3-4" button) of time. But personnel is the key, and now teams like the Pats are switching back to the 4-3 b/c they lack the right players for the 3-4.
Well the packers are only one game into there new defense. It's a little early for me to jump on there defense.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #30
#56fanatic
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail_2_da_skins View Post
Creating havoc is nice and hopefully we will create more turnovers this year, but its only the first game of the season. People jump the gun too much on here. We have had a championship caliber defense every year for the last how many years. If our Offense wasn't so damn pathetic we would win more games and maybe make the playoffs. the offense was basically shut down by the Rams and Bengals last season. that can't happen if you want to be mentioned with the good teams of the league, not alone the elite.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote