Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Joe Paterno dies at age 85

Other Sports

Old 01-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Joe Paterno dies at age 85

Joe Paterno, ex-Penn State Nittany Lions coach, dies at 85 after 2-month cancer fight - ESPN

Wow, interesting timing. I always thought he wouldn't live long after leaving PSU, much like how an old man typically passes away quickly after his long-time wife dies, but obviously I couldn't imagine he would go out the way he did. His legacy has certainly changed over the last few months, but I guess this is still sort of sad.

Last edited by ArtMonkDrillz; 01-22-2012 at 10:44 AM.
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Re: Joe Paterno dies at age 85

RIP Joe......
Not the ending I would have imagined.
My prayers will go out for he and his family....
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

R.I.P. Joe Paterno. Definitely not your typical storybook ending. Shame that his fall from grace happened like this, and this is how it ends. My thoughts go out to his family.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
mredskins
Gamebreaker

One of the saddest endings in history. RIP Joe
Old 01-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
firstdown
Living Legend

Died a disgrace to his family, Penn State, men in general and college football.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Died a disgrace to his family, Penn State, men in general and college football.
That is a bit much.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

I"m not glad the guys dead, nor am I upset about it. I will not say "rest in peace" though because I believe Joe doesn't deserve any peace. If there is a hell, I hope he rots in it for eternity.

I think what's the biggest travesty (besides Sandusky's crime) is how the public just overlooks it and puts guys like this on pedestals all because he's some iconic football figure. I felt the same way about Ted Kennedy too, they put this man on a pedestal when he was in fact responsible for another person's death and had it covered up. NO amount of good deeds can wash away those crimes. I'm sorry. You may think I'm a dick, but I have a huge intolerance to people like this and to bullies.

Good riddance.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
I"m not glad the guys dead, nor am I upset about it. I will not say "rest in peace" though because I believe Joe doesn't deserve any peace. If there is a hell, I hope he rots in it for eternity.

I think what's the biggest travesty (besides Sandusky's crime) is how the public just overlooks it and puts guys like this on pedestals all because he's some iconic football figure. I felt the same way about Ted Kennedy too, they put this man on a pedestal when he was in fact responsible for another person's death and had it covered up. NO amount of good deeds can wash away those crimes. I'm sorry. You may think I'm a dick, but I have a huge intolerance to people like this and to bullies.

Good riddance.
hmmmm here we go. Where I dont think FD comment was over the line, I do think yours certainly are. I do understand your anger, but "rotting in eternity" is a bit much. I think you need to give it a rest on this day of pain for his family.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
hmmmm here we go. Where I dont think FD comment was over the line, I do think yours certainly are. I do understand your anger, but "rotting in eternity" is a bit much. I think you need to give it a rest on this day of pain for his family.
Yeah, tell that to the families of all those kids that got molested while he sat back and watch. If you want me to feel sympathy for this guy than you are mistaken and it shows a ton of your character and morality. In fact, if it were YOUR kids that got molested, you probably wouldn't be saying jack right about now. I've said I feel for his family and the loss they have suffered. They had nothing to do with it and for that, I'm sorry they lost a loved one. Joe on the other hand, can rot in hell for what he did (or didnt in this case) do.

..but guys, we should be nice because he was a legendary football coach. If this were some joe schmoe..meh....we'd bash him too.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 01-22-2012 at 12:19 PM.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
djnemo65
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Yeah, tell that to the families of all those kids that got molested while he sat back and watch. If you want me to feel sympathy for this guy than you are mistaken and it shows a ton of your character and morality. In fact, if it were YOUR kids that got molested, you probably wouldn't be saying jack right about now. I've said I feel for his family and the loss they have suffered. They had nothing to do with it and for that, I'm sorry they lost a loved one. Joe on the other hand, can rot in hell for what he did (or didnt in this case) do.

..but guys, we should be nice because he was a legendary football coach. If this were some joe schmoe..meh....we'd bash him too.
Haven't you noticed that no one is bashing the janitor who failed to report Sandusky? That guy certainly was a Joe Schmoe. The whole point of this Scandal vis-a-vis Paterno was that in failing to take decisive action Paterno fell short of the moral standard and example he had set for himself and the university, even if he had obeyed the law. He was and should have been held to a higher standard. But where did that standard come from? Well, it come from the way he had lived his life, and to just pretend that he didn't have a profoundly positive impact on thousands of football players and hundreds of thousands of students is to completely miss why Paterno's involvement in this was a news story in the first place. So while the last two months aren't forgotten and forgiven just because he died, it's perverse to just blindly deny all the positive things he accomplished in his life. Anyway, human beings - including Paterno - are genuinely complex, and rarely the type of unambiguously good/evil characters we see in movies like Star Wars. Unless these people are named NC_Skins or Firstdown, in which case they are unambiguously irritating beings who have been sent to this world solely to annoy me with their insensitive and ill-considered posts.

Last edited by djnemo65; 01-22-2012 at 12:36 PM.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

RIP Joe Pa. Bad situation and I do think the stress of the scandal accelerated things. Nothing but prayers for the family. Legend

He Gets Us
Old 01-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
firstdown
Living Legend

I can understand why someone would say "out of respect for the family" but I don't think they are on this site in the other sports section. I personally think he is just as guilty as the molestor for allowing it to keep happening. Carma is a bitch.

Last edited by firstdown; 01-22-2012 at 12:30 PM.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #13
djnemo65
Playmaker

Quote:
I can understand why someone would say "out of respect for the family" but I don't think they are on this site in the other sports section. I personally think he is just as guilty as the molestor for allowing it to keep happening. Carma is a bitch.
Karma is spelled with a K you stupid idiot.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Are you referring to the Chicago Area Radio Monitoring Association, Carbon Monitoring for Action, or the Combined Array for Research in Millimeter-wave Astronomy? Those chicago guys are dickheads.

He Gets Us
Old 01-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
haven't you noticed that no one is bashing the janitor who failed to report sandusky? That guy certainly was a joe schmoe. The whole point of this scandal vis-a-vis paterno was that in failing to take decisive action paterno fell short of the moral standard and example he had set for himself and the university, even if he had obeyed the law. He was and should have been held to a higher standard. But where did that standard come from? Well, it come from the way he had lived his life, and to just pretend that he didn't have a profoundly positive impact on thousands of football players and hundreds of thousands of students is to completely miss why paterno's involvement in this was a news story in the first place. So while the last two months aren't forgotten and forgiven just because he died, it's perverse to just blindly deny all the positive things he accomplished in his life. Anyway, human beings - including paterno - are genuinely complex, and rarely the type of unambiguously good/evil characters we see in movies like star wars. Unless these people are named nc_skins or firstdown, in which case they are unambiguously irritating beings who have been sent to this world solely to annoy me with their insensitive and ill-considered posts.
outstanding post!
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote