Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Plaxico Agrees To Two Year Jail Term

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-20-2009, 11:10 PM   #46
53Fan
Franchise Player

Re: Plaxico Agrees To Two Year Jail Term

Sidenote: The Colts lead the Iggles 23-7 with 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

Advertisements
Old 08-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #47
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
I agree that the sentence seems a little harsh.. but... wasn't Plax aware of the law in New York? Even if he wasn't, ignorance is no excuse to a judge and it was my understanding that there is a mandatory sentence if found guilty. Is this incorrect?
Yes, you are correct...but how come there isn't a "mandatory sentence" for killing someone will intoxicated? Maybe there was and it was ignored...not sure...but I find it odd there is such a law to avoid guns, but not if you kill someone.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:28 PM   #48
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
I agree that the sentence seems a little harsh.. but... wasn't Plax aware of the law in New York? Even if he wasn't, ignorance is no excuse to a judge and it was my understanding that there is a mandatory sentence if found guilty. Is this incorrect?
Good point, and it speaks to a question that I've always had about the case: why didn't Burress register the gun? If he wants heat for protection, then fine, register the gun and make it legal. It's not like he couldn't afford a gun license.

It also seems to me that if he wanted protection, a bodyguard would have been a better choice than packing heat.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:31 PM   #49
53Fan
Franchise Player

Well there are varying conditions to killing someone while intoxicated. Did being intoxicated directly lead to the persons death? I'm sure Stallworth got a DUI but did his being intoxicated lead to that mans death? There is no doubt whatsoever that Plax broke the law. None. I think your biggest gripe is that for the laws Plax broke, the punishment is too severe in New York. That may be, but that's the way the people of New York want it. If you steal in Iran you may get your hand cut off. Severe? Yes. But that's the law so it's probably not a good idea to steal there.

Last edited by 53Fan; 08-20-2009 at 11:36 PM.
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #50
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Good point, and it speaks to a question that I've always had about the case: why didn't Burress register the gun? If he wants heat for protection, then fine, register the gun and make it legal. It's not like he couldn't afford a gun license.

It also seems to me that if he wanted protection, a bodyguard would have been a better choice than packing heat.
It all boils down to what kind of person he is. Obviously he should have registered the gun. Obviously it's smarter to hire security than go in strapped by yourself. Also, it's obvious he should care about his teammates and coaches, showing up on time, practicing, etc etc. Otherwise he wouldn't have been fined dozens of times.

He did none of the above. He's a selfish, arrogant jerk.

As someone pointed out earlier, there's a reason the Steelers let him walk and didn't bat an eye (or miss a beat for that matter).
Old 08-21-2009, 12:40 AM   #51
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Which is why we might not see the end of this. Plaxico can and is argueing that others had this happen and not getting the same sentence, but since the MAYOR and other high up officials came out against him, he was doomed.
I personally do not feel he should spend a minute in jail...the right to bear arms should be enough to supercede any state law. (but I understand that opens a huge can of worms on here)

I think if I were him, I'd take all that money I already accrued and take off to some foriegn island somewhere never to be heard from again. I'm not going to prison for something that dumb. Here Stallworth ACTUALLY KILLS a man (yes he darted out in front of his car, but the arguement could be made, if sober there would be a different outcome) and Stallworth gets 30 days? Plaxico carries a gun (which is a right) and shoots himself, no one else, and he gets 2 years? Nope...wouldn't serve that time.
He didn't take care of business and register the gun. I think it's stupid as hell that he's getting 18-20 months. But I can't feel sorry for a guy who doesn't take care of his business and that's pretty much been Plax's story his whole career.

Last edited by skinsfan69; 08-21-2009 at 12:46 AM.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:57 AM   #52
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I guess people are failing to realize Vicks punishment was too harsh in and of itself. MV would never have gotten the punishment he got had he complied with the local police. He most likely would have gotten a fine of $500 and some community service (the same punishment people get everyday in VA courts for these same charges). The fact that he failed to help local police and the Feds stepped in he faced Federal laws and Federal punishment.

I can understand PETA being upset at the laws and miniscule punishments however comparing MV's punishment with other people who have done the same thing ....he has paid the price 3 fold. PETA should be content and ignore him and move on.

As far as Stallworth situation, with people everyday trying to beat the yellow light before it turns red it's hard to say the victim never would have been killed by a sober driver. I guess if he stumbles on to the metro tracks we should put the driver of the train behind bars for a few yrs cause he took a life.

OJ was guilty. A lot of evidence was not allowed during trial that would have put him away. After the fact the jurrer's have said had they had the info the general public had they would have found him guilty.

Buress is just an idiot. He got the minimum sentence for the crime "he" committed. It's hard to compare punishments from different states with similar charges let alone different charges. Had he done this in VA he would have been facing more charges. Carrying a concealed weapon with out a license, carrying a weapon into a bar, most likely the bar was in a non shooting zone, wreckless handling of a fire arm. I'll admit he only hurt himself...no big deal. Had someone been breaking into his house and he ran to get the gun and this happened ....no big deal. Out side the home where people with guns put others at risk, especially when not secured properly (obviously not handling it correctly whether drunk or not causing his injury) is an issue. He had it in his waist band.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:04 AM   #53
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
I'm confused...how was there malice with Plaxico? You are implying he deserves this punishment due to his malicious intent, but he didn't have malicious intent.
Plaxico could have done many public service announcements too, and been a poster for everyone. Putting him in jail really doesn't dissuade athletes from doing this. They will continue to carry guns. They will just have to be more careful of the dumb laws in NY.
Never said there was with Plax, you brought up Stallworth and that is who we were speaking about at the the time.But there was malice with Vick.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #54
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Meanwhile
Old 08-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #55
over the mountain
Playmaker

in MD there is a 5yer mandatory minimum if you use a handgun in the commision of a violent crime (robbery, assault, kidnapping, etc).

if you use a gun, your going down. if you carry a gun on you in public in NY, your going down. imo this man. min. in NY probaly helped clear alot of gun packing gang bangers who now know not to carry heat all the time.

like jack said in the departed, they dont carry automatic weapons b/c theres a mandatory life sentence. these rules work.

go skins!!
Old 08-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #56
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Oh those crazy Vicks! :smashfrea When's their reality show coming out?
Old 08-21-2009, 12:08 PM   #57
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Momma Vick should get some time for raising two criminally-idiotic sons.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:10 PM   #58
KLHJ2
Inactive

If you believe in a higher being why would he waste all of that talent on someone who wasn't going to use it?
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #59
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
If you believe in a higher being why would he waste all of that talent on someone who wasn't going to use it?
It's a persons choice what they do with their talent. He's the one wasting it. If I pay for your education and you decide to become a beach bum, don't blame me.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #60
jgalecpa
Special Teams

The higher being made us the dominant species on earth by giving us freedom of choice.

He may give us abilities, but he also lets us choose how to use/abuse/ignore them.

Clever, that fellow.

Plaxico, like too many in the NFL, made bad choices.