Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

This will fire everybody up ...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-11-2006, 03:15 PM   #1
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

This will fire everybody up ...

I just picked up a copy of Street & Smith's Pro Football preview for 2006. It really is a good magazine for all of the facts they give and the way it's all laid out. Even though I disagree with their assessment of the Skins, it's a good preview if you ask me. Each team is thoroughly examined, and every article contains an anonymous quote from someone within their division with their personal viewpoint on the featured team -- whoever they are -- could be a player, coach, front office guy, who knows.

Most of the inter-divisional viewpoints seem curteous, and offer opinions with respect and admiration. This one though, was especially harsh if you ask me:

Quote:
The Redskins are the Redskins. They make a big splash every year. They go out and throw money around and throw it at the wrong players. They come in and have to fight to get to 8-8. They really weren't a playoff team. [Adam]Archuleta is just a guy. Brandon Lloyd is just a guy, not a difference maker. Defensively, Gregg Williams is a magician. He's done more with less than any defensive coordinator in the league. They'll be good defensively, but offensively I think they'll go backwards because [Mark]Brunell is a year older. Al Saunders will put in a complete new offense and, if you look where it's been installed at new places, it takes two years for it to fire up. The first year he was in K.C., they were 6-10. It's a very complicated offense and different from anything Joe Gibbs is used to. I don't think they'll win eight games.
Let's pick this one apart, shall we?
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-11-2006, 03:17 PM   #2
gibbsisgod
Playmaker

Re: This will fire everybody up ...

we didnt fight just to finish 8-8 last year.
gibbsisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:25 PM   #3
scowan
The Starter

The last time I checked the Skins went 10-6 and were playing games in January. Who was this quote from, Bill Parcells the day after his team got beat by the Rams in Week 17?!
scowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:26 PM   #4
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I guess that win in the playoffs was just a fluke.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:27 PM   #5
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Is Saunders' offense really that much different than Gibbs'?

Last year we were one #2 receiver from pushing even deeper into the playoffs, and that was obviously with Patten for half the year.

This is just a half-assed assessment based on the past few years and it totally snubs all the strides that the team made last year. What a joke.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Vanderjagt is JUST a guy. LaVar Arrington is JUST a guy. Holy shit. Come up with something more entertaining at least. Yawn.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:41 PM   #7
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

Errr...the Chiefs were 6-10 in saunders first year? This is supposed to be reflective of Saunders as an offensive coordinator? I would have thought having the fourth ranked offense in 2001 would have been better indicator.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:43 PM   #8
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan
Errr...the Chiefs were 6-10 in saunders first year? This is supposed to be reflective of Saunders as an offensive coordinator? I would have thought having the fourth ranked offense in 2001 would have been better indicator.
What was their D ranked that year? I feel like football involves playing offense and defense.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:44 PM   #9
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz
What was their D ranked that year? I feel like football involves playing offense and defense.
22nd
Old 07-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #10
12thMan
MVP

Al Saunders will put in a completely new offense, huh?
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:48 PM   #11
jbcjr14
The Starter

Defense still wins championships and this defense will help the offense on numerous occassions with a short field. Pretty harsh about the 8-8 struggle as the last 1/4 of the season the Redskins were among the elite 8 in the league and hot as hell.

F...the HATERS!
Old 07-11-2006, 03:50 PM   #12
MightyJoeGibbs
The Starter

Thats a very real standpoint. I both agree/disagree but good points sorta. We have all discussed Mark and the QB situation, there is alot that can go wrong and alot of uncertainties there for sure. In regards to KC's record, KC has to be one of the worst defense teams every year, pass or run against them at your will. Which is why they havent done squat except boast great Off. numbers, admit it. Sure Snyders plan is to spend money, but there is a saying you have to spend money to make money.I know he is trying, look at the ravens they are so tight with their money, never greedy in Free Agency and it cost them, they missed Rays prime and may make some noise this year but be prepared the next 5 years they will be the Browns. I think its a bit nieve of the writer to say the skins fight to be 8-8, yeah its been a battle but look at Joe Gibbs success, HOF coach and 3 rings to brush off the skins is foolish. Heart, chemistry, and talent got and will get us through. With our schedule as rough as some matchup are , the power shift alligned to the NFC, most competitive the division that it has been in years yes it is up hill, I do have my doubts, but I believe that they BELIEVE they def. are contending. If G.Williams is a magician for using what little he has to work with, what would be the rebuttal to the weapons he now has to create a pass rush? Dumbest journalist writing I have read. Al in KC also had half the talent the skins do offensively so I say it will come together come playoff time.

In the Year 2000 the chiefs were 7-9
NFL rank (rush/pass/total)
Offense: 25/5/8
Defense: 17/20/18
Dating back to 2001 when Saunders took over as offensive coordinator, the Chiefs rank first in the NFL with 30,470 net yards of total offense (379.3 ypg). The Chiefs oppulent numbers during that 80-game span from 2001-05 are also the league's best in the following seven categories: offensive TDs (262), rushing TDs (131), total first downs (1,760), Red Zone TD percentage (64.1 percent), runs of 10+ yards (312), passing yards per attempt (7.83) and passing yards per completion (12.61). The foundation for Kansas City's offensive onslaught was established in 2001 when Kansas City finished the year ranked in the NFL's top 10 in rushing, passing and total offense for just the second time since the AFL-NFL merger.
That season, Holmes led the NFL in rushing with 1,555. I dont see any stats to prove the article true. saunders came out of the gate, QB, RB, FB, TE, OL have all suceeded getting to the probowl. Imagine if he had the personnel the skins have.
MightyJoeGibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:53 PM   #13
jbcjr14
The Starter

No need to imagine any longer my friend...the shit is ON!
Old 07-11-2006, 03:54 PM   #14
MTK
\m/

They really weren't a playoff team??

That doesn't even deserve a response.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:30 PM   #15
Southpaw
The Starter

I take issue with the idea that Gregg Williams "has done more with less". Even on paper, Washington has one of the best secondaries in the league, a very solid linebacking core(minus Holdman), and probably the most underrated defensive tackle in the league in Griffin. With the talent they've added, the defense should be even more potent next season.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote