Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Barbaro Euthanized

Parking Lot

Old 01-29-2007, 02:24 PM   #1
GhettoDogAllStars
Playmaker

Re: Barbaro Euthanized

I think horses are smarter than we give them credit for. All animals, in fact, are probably smarter than we give them credit for.

A little off topic, but anyways...
Here's a cool slow-mo video of a horse galloping:
Vision Research
...all four legs come off the ground!

After I looked at that, I had a new respect for horses (and really all creatures). Life is amazing!

Here's the site that video came from:
Phantom High Speed Movie Gallery
Old 01-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Pretty sad this happened. But it was the right choice at this point, there was too much negative things happening for him to keep up.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that couldn't care less about this horse. Sure, it sucks that it had to break its leg and (eventually) go before it's time but I just don't see why it became a national hero.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that couldn't care less about this horse. Sure, it sucks that it had to break its leg and (eventually) go before it's time but I just don't see why it became a national hero.
Well there was a time when horse racing was the most popular sport in the country, perhaps the world. Think about it, the terms "dark horse" and "upset" both came from horse racing.

But I mean, I guess imagine that Federer broke his leg at Wimbledon and had to be euthanized because of it. Perhaps an extreme comparison, but still
Old 01-29-2007, 03:39 PM   #5
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS View Post
But I mean, I guess imagine that Federer broke his leg at Wimbledon and had to be euthanized because of it. Perhaps an extreme comparison, but still
I don't buy that at all because I place a whole lot more value on a person's life than on any animal's.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
I don't buy that at all because I place a whole lot more value on a person's life than on any animal's.
There's your answer. There are tons of dog and cat owners in this country (myself included) that would grieve just as hard (if not harder) at the loss of their pet than they would at the loss of a human acquaintence.

I'd grieve harder if I lost my dog than I would if any one of my coworkers died. God's honest truth. And I like some of my coworkers. Some, lol.

The value you place on life, in my opinion, depends upon your relationship with said life. Pet owners can relate to Barbaro's situation. Anyone who's ever had to put a dog or cat down due to illness can sympathize today. Pets provide absolute unconditional love. They greet you the same way every day, no matter what kind of day you've had or what kind of mood you're in. Putting a pet down is one of the most intense emotional experiences a person can possibly face. You can bet Barbaro's owners felt this way, regardless of the business side of things.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
There's your answer. There are tons of dog and cat owners in this country (myself included) that would grieve just as hard (if not harder) at the loss of their pet than they would at the loss of a human acquaintence.

I'd grieve harder if I lost my dog than I would if any one of my coworkers died. God's honest truth. And I like some of my coworkers. Some, lol.

The value you place on life, in my opinion, depends upon your relationship with said life. Pet owners can relate to Barbaro's situation. Anyone who's ever had to put a dog or cat down due to illness can sympathize today.
I'm going to steal a line from a comedy movie while attempting to be serious: yeah but it's your dog! I was extremely sad when we had to put my dog to sleep last year but that's because he was my dog that I'd had since I was a kid. I wouldn't expect anyone else to shed a tear for him.

And I'm sure horses, dogs, dolphins, parrots, pigs, gorillas, etc, etc, etc are very smart and cute and important to the ecosystem and all that, but I still place more value (and value is relative to each person) on human beings than on animals.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:27 PM   #8
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post

The value you place on life, in my opinion, depends upon your relationship with said life. Pet owners can relate to Barbaro's situation. Anyone who's ever had to put a dog or cat down due to illness can sympathize today. Pets provide absolute unconditional love. They greet you the same way every day, no matter what kind of day you've had or what kind of mood you're in. Putting a pet down is one of the most intense emotional experiences a person can possibly face. You can bet Barbaro's owners felt this way, regardless of the business side of things.
So if I understand you correctly, Schneed, you don't give a dman if I die??

Man you're a hard ass
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #9
firstdown
Living Legend

The way to know if they want to keep him alive because they loved the horse or becase for financial gain is how the dispose of the body. If they burie the horse it because they loved the horse if they sell for dog food than it was about the money.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:20 PM   #10
hesscl34

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
The way to know if they want to keep him alive because they loved the horse or becase for financial gain is how the dispose of the body. If they burie the horse it because they loved the horse if they sell for dog food than it was about the money.
Give me a break! There is NO WAY the body is sold as dog food. When you love a horse it's just like loving a dog or cat. They are your family. You don't "dispose" of them like that!
hesscl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:25 PM   #11
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesscl34 View Post
Give me a break! There is NO WAY the body is sold as dog food.
YEAH! It was sold for glue and Taco Bell meat, duh!
Old 01-29-2007, 03:30 PM   #12
hesscl34

Quote:
YEAH! It was sold for glue and Taco Bell meat, duh!
... typical...
Old 01-29-2007, 03:18 PM   #13
hesscl34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I've been an avid equestrian since I was 5yrs old. I was really pulling for Barbaro to make it, but when I saw his leg after they took the cast off I was horrified at the way it was deformed. I have never known a horse to recover from anything like that... I knew it was only a matter of time before he was put down. I'm very sad for him, and his owners... I'm very sad he's been put through all of this, months of recovery, only to end up being put down. But as long as he was happy up until last night, then I guess it was worth it...

Poor Barbaro.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:42 PM   #14
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

We're all animals, my brotha
Old 01-29-2007, 03:47 PM   #15
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS View Post
We're all animals, my brotha
But we humans are aware that we're animals, I have doubts that a horse is really aware of himself in anything more than a physical sense; unless, of course, that horse is Mr. Ed.