Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room

If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

Redskins Locker Room

Old 06-22-2019, 01:20 PM   #31
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Re: If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

The offseason is a bitch.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-22-2019, 11:59 PM   #32
Bishop Hammer
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass when he hops.

And if I pack on 20lbs of muscle and grew 8 in taller I may be able to look like The Rock but that ain't happening either, LOL.
he's already in me
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored

Stone Roses
"I wanna be adored"
Bishop Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:39 AM   #33
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

I think it is extremely wishful thinking by Alex, and i wish him the best and hope that he gets back to 100% health and his day to day life gets back to normal. It just seems so hard to imagine a guy coming back from that horrible an injury at his age, he would be what, at least 37 by the time he gets back to 100% health, if he ever gets there.

But he has always taken such good care of his body, perhaps he comes back at 37/38 and gets to play a few more years. As others have said on here, late 30's to 40 isn't really that old for a QB any more these days, but i do think it changes a little bit when you have had the injuries he's had.

Tom Brady could probably put on cruise control and play to at least 45 as long as he suffers no major injuries, maybe even longer. I think Brees could do the same. But they didn't have a gruesome injury like Alex Smith. Still wish him the best though and hope he gets peace with it, in the event that he can't come back.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:06 AM   #34
calia
The Starter

If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by httr198020 View Post
Checkdown Alex is garbage. He needs to retire. We need to do everything we can to get him off of our books. We must release him as soon as possible.

I think httr stands for hater. Seriously, dude, referring to the man as ďgarbageĒ is just wrong. There arenít two categories of QB - elite and garbage. Smith has had a nice career and had us up two games in the NFCE when hurt. Give the man a little respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by calia; 06-23-2019 at 05:00 PM.
calia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:39 PM   #35
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
Checkdown Alex is garbage. He needs to retire. We need to do everything we can to get him off of our books. We must release him as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, the cap hits will be enormous

2019 - 42 million
2020 - 32 million
2021 - 10.8 million

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/cap/
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:38 AM   #36
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
I am not against Smith coming back, in fact, I probably would want to do same thing if I was him. I am just saying that I don't see how this will work out for Smith and Redskins since we drafted Haskins. Only scenario I can see where Smith returns to Redskins is if he accepts mentor/back-up role.
I'm thinking the same way as you...with McCoy, Keenum, and Haskins the QB position became a bit crowded....the only other two ways out of this situation would be if the Redskins either trade Smith or release him.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:38 AM   #37
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
I'm thinking the same way as you...with McCoy, Keenum, and Haskins the QB position became a bit crowded....the only other two ways out of this situation would be if the Redskins either trade Smith or release him.
Trade Smith?! Trust me on this one, no team is going to trade for Smith for several reasons that should be obvious.

Also, how would the QB position become crowded if Smith were to come back? The reality is that McCoy and Keenum are not NFL starter quality players and Haskins is an unproven rookie.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:09 AM   #38
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrefutable View Post
Unfortunately, the cap hits will be enormous

2019 - 42 million
2020 - 32 million
2021 - 10.8 million

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/cap/
Most likely scenario is to release him next year as a designated June 1 cut
Old 06-24-2019, 09:34 AM   #39
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

He will not play again, he has to say "I hope to play again" of course he says that eating up millions to rehab, we all knew he wouldn't retire and walk away from that payday.

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:35 AM   #40
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Because the skins took out an insurance policy on Smith, if he is never medically cleared to play again, they get a 12M cap credit.

If Smith wants to keep playing, that's his right to do so, but given his age, the severity of the injury, the fact that the skins have already signed his long-term replacement relegating him to being a backup, and the amount of guaranteed money he still has from the deal... it would seem to be in his long-term physical and financial best interests to simply not play football again.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:32 PM   #41
GridIron26
The Starter

Quote:
Do you anyone really thinks Check down Alex is worth this type of money? Only a complete buffoon would paid this bum 42 million in one season. I remember when we traded for him. I told my uncle that Check down Alex sucks and Andy Reid was going to get over on us again. One year later I look like a goddamn genius..
It does not matter if we think Smith is worth the money - Smith and Redskins agreed to the contract and there is no way for Redskins to back out from the contract unless Smith retires. Therefore, we must account the money for Smith until his contract expires or Smith retires.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:34 PM   #42
calia
The Starter

Quote:
I'm just being completely honest. Check down Alex reminds me of Mark Brunell. Just as sorry excuse for a NFL qb. I'm not saying he hasn't had a good career. But he was never going to take this team anywhere. He has a weak ass arm, no accuracy, and overrated mobility. I'm not saying that it's all his fault the offense was crap, because in my opinion Jay Gruden below average play calling help contribute to that. All I'm saying is that Check down Alex is a below average qb.

Do you anyone really thinks Check down Alex is worth this type of money? Only a complete buffoon would paid this bum 42 million in one season. I remember when we traded for him. I told my uncle that Check down Alex sucks and Andy Reid was going to get over on us again. One year later I look like a goddamn genius.

I agree with everything you said. He should never play football again mainly because he's horrible.
The first two statements in bold are in contradiction. And he's not a below average QB -- what matters most is wins, and by that measure, he's well above average. It's simply not possible to credibly contend otherwise.

On your prediction and IQ, you flatter yourself. I seriously doubt you predicted he'd have a grisly, career-threatening injury that would have these cap implications. If you have those kinds of prognosticatory skills, you shouldn't waste them on football. I suspect your uncle would give you the same advice. Perhaps you might consider following it.

Again, horrible is really not a fair characterization. But by all means, double down on your rant.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:08 PM   #43
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
You being a little dramatic BB. I don't hate the guy. I just see him for the bum that he is. For the record, the 49ers team that he played for was stacked with talent. They were poorly coached but they definitely had great talent on both sides of the ball. He sucked for the first six years of his career. He didn't start winning until Jim Harbaugh came to San Francisco. After a few years he was replaced. He went to play under Andy Reid who is one of the best coaches in NFL history. He was replaced in KC. If he's such a great qb why does he keep getting replaced? You got qbs like Trent Dilfer who won a Superbowl. Does that make him better than Dan Marino or Philip Rivers? He had a winning record because he played on great teams. As a qb he's below average.
So were we a great team when he had us at 6-2? I can agree he's not a great qb, but he's a damn step better than average.

Pretty sure we would have had a solid shot at the playoffs if he hadn't gone on IR, but that's purely hypothetical at this point.

He isn't great, but he rarely made bonehead plays or put the defense at a disadvantaged starting position. That alone makes him above other QB's that we've had recently
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:26 AM   #44
Iston
Camp Scrub

Cool Re: If Smith returns....HYPOTHETICALLY speaking.....

Quote:
He isn't great, but he rarely made bonehead plays or put the defense at a disadvantaged starting position. That alone makes him above other QB's that we've had recently
I think he's great anyway then
Iston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:17 AM   #45
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
If Smith wants to push to come back I say good for him and I wish him well. I donít know why some want to kick dirt on him and say he should move on. Thatís his decision to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why I started this discussion....despite people saying he will never play again he has aspirations to play again...