Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

too many draft needs!

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
skinzaholic73
Camp Scrub

Unhappy too many draft needs!

We have too many needs and not enough draft picks! I don't know if there is anyway we could pick up another pick or two this year...but it's something they should look into.Secondly we don't have the cap room for a big offseason spending spree to fill in the holes.Pick up a WR and LB/CB in free agency but we still need O-Line help,DT/SS/QB(backup)I just hope we will be allright.
skinzaholic73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Re: too many draft needs!

I don't think SS is a glaring need. Doughty did a decent job and could be a decent starter with more off season practice. I think he is capable of being a starter, not a superstar. I think we should aim towards getting a vet backup and not some Ed Reed type of safety that's going to cost some insane amount of money.

A backup QB shouldn't be that expensive either. No need in drafting either one of those. Just pick up some FAs.

The rest though, I do think we need to spend draft picks on. (Unless we pick up Briggs and CJ)

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

I don't think we currently lack enough draft picks to fill our needs. If we get 3 good starters or excellent backups I will be happy. We may need new starters at DE and SS. We could use backups who can become starters in a year or so at OT, OG, DT, MLB, and CB. If we get 3 of those 7 players in the draft and another 1-2 in free agency, we'll be in good shape heading into the 2009 offseason.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #4
skinzaholic73
Camp Scrub

Smile Re: too many draft needs!

thanks for putting me at ease maybe we aren't in as bad shape as I thought.I do feel we definitely need to draft a DE,OG,CB and maybe SS.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Again if you look at the brilliant posts by Shneed and CrazyCanuck you will clearly see we will not be in cap hell. We will actually have some mobility, and might be able to make around 1 big signing.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

We do have some holes, especially if Rocky and Rogers aren't ready by training camp (which by most accounts they won't be) those are two of our young starters. Initially I wanted to spend the 1st/2nd round picks on best available (preferably WR/DE) and then spend the rest of the draft on Oline hoping to find 1-2 very good linemen in there. However, if we can get CJ for a decent price, do it in a second.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:07 PM   #7
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I don't think SS is a glaring need. Doughty did a decent job and could be a decent starter with more off season practice. I think he is capable of being a starter, not a superstar. I think we should aim towards getting a vet backup and not some Ed Reed type of safety that's going to cost some insane amount of money.

A backup QB shouldn't be that expensive either. No need in drafting either one of those. Just pick up some FAs.

The rest though, I do think we need to spend draft picks on. (Unless we pick up Briggs and CJ)
If you mean we don't need to draft a qb to be the #2 I agree, cause he won't be ready anyway. But I disagree that we don't need to draft one. It was a good use of a pick last year to take Palmer, though he was signed off our practice squad. I think it would be worth a 4th or lower to get a qb & groom him as a backup for a few years.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:08 PM   #8
WaldSkins
Playmaker

i think our biggest need is going to be CB. Granted i would like some pass rush as much as anyone maybe even more. I actually like to trade up for Chris Long from virginia. But we can make it through next year with the dline we are playing with now. I think our biggest weakness going into next year is CB. With carlos rogers probaly missing next season, we only have to good corners. Fred Smoot and Shawn Springs both had lingering injuries last year and we have no depth behind them. Im thinking we take the cb from kansas Aqib. He's a ball hawking corner who has better hands then rogers and can tackle. What do you think?
WaldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
If you mean we don't need to draft a qb to be the #2 I agree, cause he won't be ready anyway. But I disagree that we don't need to draft one. It was a good use of a pick last year to take Palmer, though he was signed off our practice squad. I think it would be worth a 4th or lower to get a qb & groom him as a backup for a few years.
Yup that's what I meant.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #10
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
i think our biggest need is going to be CB. Granted i would like some pass rush as much as anyone maybe even more. I actually like to trade up for Chris Long from virginia. But we can make it through next year with the dline we are playing with now. I think our biggest weakness going into next year is CB. With carlos rogers probaly missing next season, we only have to good corners. Fred Smoot and Shawn Springs both had lingering injuries last year and we have no depth behind them. Im thinking we take the cb from kansas Aqib. He's a ball hawking corner who has better hands then rogers and can tackle. What do you think?
We'd have to trade quite a bit to be able to get Chris Long. He's out of our reach.

I agree about the corners though -- even if Rogers was perfectly healthy I'd say they could still use another cornerback.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #11
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
We'd have to trade quite a bit to be able to get Chris Long. He's out of our reach.

I agree about the corners though -- even if Rogers was perfectly healthy I'd say they could still use another cornerback.

I know he's outta reach, just dreamin. And some people got us trading alot to take CJ. Get outta here, yea id like to have em but we have more pressing needs then another 30 million dollar receiver. I read in another thread where someone suggested giving our first pick and Betts for CJ. Im sure you could work something out with a top three team for Betts and the #21. But im still DREAMING
WaldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:53 AM   #12
skinzaholic73
Camp Scrub

I am really starting to like cornerbacks Tracy Porter and Terrell Thomas I think either one will suffice.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:08 AM   #13
81forHOF
Impact Rookie

I have been excited about this draft for quite a while because we finally have most of our picks but I believe that this is all about to change. The only bad thing about not hiring a big name HC is that someone like Zorn does not have the clout to demand a large say in personnel decisions. That being said, we now have nobody to protect us from Dan 'the SuperFan' Snyder and his sidekick Vinny C.

We will be lucky to have 3 late round picks by the time draft day arrives.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:13 AM   #14
MTK
\m/

You can't fill every need with the draft.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:56 AM   #15
Bill B
Impact Rookie

I don't think people need to worry about the Skins going insane this offseason and an impending spending splurge on big name free agents. The Skins still need to rework several contracts to get $16 million to comply with the salary cap. Trading away multiple picks for high priced veterans just doesn't make sense from a cap perspective this year.

I see the Redskins doing this:

1.) Keeping all of their picks and using them and letting the scouting department do their job and depending on them. The scouting department for the Redskins has had some descent success with Sean Taylor, Landry, Cooley as well as low level picks/undrafted free agents like Montgomery, Reed Doughty, Heyer and Lorenzo Alexander. Lets hope Synder can see this and learn that winning the offseason free agent championship is worthless.

2.) Picking up low-mid level free agents to fill the gaps at the positions of need. Often these low-mid level pickups in free agency really make or break your season. Just look at how important Randall Godfrey was to the team last season as an example.

3.) Possibly making one big name free agent pickup, but only if it is a unrestricted pickup and not costing them any picks. The team needs to get the mentaility of striving to get younger and look down the road a little in the range of 3-5 years. You don't want to be a team mostly composed of aging vets and few young players, because all the sudden those aging vets will begin to lose their ability and performance drops.

Folks - don't worry - the Skins are not going to be going on a rampant spending splurge when they went out and got Deion and Bruce Smith and the like - they still got to get down $16 million to comply with this years cap and they already have a lot of vets in place, so massive turnover is very unlikely.
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote