Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins "Low-balling" Hall (Allegedly)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Redskins "Low-balling" Hall (Allegedly)

Earlier today, PFT posted a blog entry saying we are about to make a "Major Offer" to DeAngelo Hall.

ProFootballTalk.com - “MAJOR OFFER” COMING FOR DEANGELO?

According to two independant and reputable sources on extremeskins [yes, i "slum it" there, on occasion, so sue me! :-) ], the hold up in the deal is that the skins have been offering Hall 12M garaunteed and he wants 16. If true, this really, really irks me, guys.

In only a few weeks the system, Hall became our best, most reliable corner last year. He will be only 25 when the season starts (for comparison carlos Rogers will be 28), so if we signed him to a 6 year deal, he would still only be 30 or 31 when it came time to renegotiate or extend him. Without a doubt, he is one of the top 10-15 corners in the league right now. Yes, he has had some "issues" in the past, but those issues never affected his play, and he seems to have matured anyways... So why the heck are we only offering him 12M garaunteed?!

is 16 garaunteed really that unreasonable for Hall?

Here are some other recent contracts for CBs:

-Nate Clements got 80M with 22M garaunteed
-Asante Samuel got 57.6M for 6 years with 20M garaunted
-Chris Gamble got 53 M for 6 years with 23M garaunteed

IMO, we are really low-balling Hall with the offer of 12M garaunteed. He is not as good a corner as Clements or Samuel, but i view him as deserving something in the same ballpark as Gamble. With his asking price of 16M, he really seems to be giving us something of a "hometown discount."

Considering how much cap room other teams have, the annual "inflation" for player salaries in the NFL, and the fact that hall is "only" asking for 16M garaunteed, and Rogers is becoming disgruntled, we should sign Hall to that deal ASAP. If he hits the open market, someone else will likely give him significantly more than that.

Personally, I think something along the lines of 52M for 6 years with 16M garaunteed is a very fair price for Halls services. What do you guys think?
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: Redskins "Low-balling" Hall (Allegedly)

I'm not a big fan of signing Hall to a long term deal but it appears to be inevitable at this point. I'll comment on the $$ once a deal is finalized.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
jamf
Pro Bowl

I don't think he is a top tier.

If you don't think his problems effected his play then you need to review his first 6 games with Oakland this year.

A true cover corner is a rarity, D-Hall is not one. But he can be a solid corner and I think he is definitely worth resigning but we should not break the bank for him.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
44ever

Typical Skins neg. They'll pay a guy from somewhere else BIG. But low ball their own. "Self sabotage mentality"
44ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
Skins fan 44
Impact Rookie

Laveranues Coles got what 14 million signing bonus a few years. So come on give him what he wants. But then again look how things ended with him.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
Schneed10
A Dude

It would be no surprise to me if it's true that Vinny wants to keep the guaranteed money lower. He has to be concerned about the team's cap situation and knows he needs to keep as much room available to maneuver, or he's going to lose out on free agency altogether.

On a 6 year deal, $12 million guaranteed would take up $2 million in 2009 cap space. $16 million would take up $2.7 million. That's a big difference, an amount that would allow for one additional quality-depth guy in free agency.

It's also quite possible that the Redskins are betting Hall won't be able to do better. Revenue streams are in decline for NFL franchises due to the economy. There may be a lot of teams simply unwilling to pay it.

The way I see it, we should be thanking Vinny here. He's trying to keep a cool head, locking good players up for a reasonable amount. Would you rather he spend $20 million guaranteed on a Nate Clements type like the 49ers did?
Old 01-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
freddyg12
Playmaker

this dude wore out his welcome in oakland of all places!
He could be the best cb in the league, but he has chosen to play his way & gamble a lot. He did play really well here, but it was an audition. How will he play when he's paid & we're stuck w/him?

I've never been a fan of signing him, but considering they're interested, The Skins are doing the right thing here (if this is accurate). Interest in him when he was cut was not that high because any team signing him would have had to assume his full contract. Take a look at that contract w/the raiders. How much was it worth? Whatever the #, Hall is obviously worth less & that was proven on the open market this season.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I would add that most teams will be looking at Hall's full season, the fact that the Raiders outright released him, and all the worries that could follow. I do like how he has a knack for holding on to the ball, his hands are his talent, but I think you could watch the film and see him out of place frequently also.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
44ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I would add that most teams will be looking at Hall's full season, the fact that the Raiders outright released him, and all the worries that could follow. I do like how he has a knack for holding on to the ball, his hands are his talent, but I think you could watch the film and see him out of place frequently also.
So we have Carlos Rogers who is always in position but has no hands or D. Hall with great hands and frequently out of place. Flip a coin.
I think we have to take a chance on Hall.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #10
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I wouldn't go overboard for him, because that will definitely set the bar for Rodgers, and if I had to choose, I would keep Rodgers. At 12 Million maybe they hope to be able to keep both,which would be the best situation personnel wise.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #11
redsk1
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Earlier today, PFT posted a blog entry saying we are about to make a "Major Offer" to DeAngelo Hall.

ProFootballTalk.com - “MAJOR OFFER” COMING FOR DEANGELO?

According to two independant and reputable sources on extremeskins [yes, i "slum it" there, on occasion, so sue me! :-) ], the hold up in the deal is that the skins have been offering Hall 12M garaunteed and he wants 16. If true, this really, really irks me, guys.

In only a few weeks the system, Hall became our best, most reliable corner last year. He will be only 25 when the season starts (for comparison carlos Rogers will be 28), so if we signed him to a 6 year deal, he would still only be 30 or 31 when it came time to renegotiate or extend him. Without a doubt, he is one of the top 10-15 corners in the league right now. Yes, he has had some "issues" in the past, but those issues never affected his play, and he seems to have matured anyways... So why the heck are we only offering him 12M garaunteed?!

is 16 garaunteed really that unreasonable for Hall?

Here are some other recent contracts for CBs:

-Nate Clements got 80M with 22M garaunteed
-Asante Samuel got 57.6M for 6 years with 20M garaunted
-Chris Gamble got 53 M for 6 years with 23M garaunteed

IMO, we are really low-balling Hall with the offer of 12M garaunteed. He is not as good a corner as Clements or Samuel, but i view him as deserving something in the same ballpark as Gamble. With his asking price of 16M, he really seems to be giving us something of a "hometown discount."

Considering how much cap room other teams have, the annual "inflation" for player salaries in the NFL, and the fact that hall is "only" asking for 16M garaunteed, and Rogers is becoming disgruntled, we should sign Hall to that deal ASAP. If he hits the open market, someone else will likely give him significantly more than that.

Personally, I think something along the lines of 52M for 6 years with 16M garaunteed is a very fair price for Halls services. What do you guys think?
For a guy who hasn't necessarily been known as a team guy, more of a me guy on Atlanta and Oakland I don't think he demands top 10 money. If we sign him, hopefully it will be on our terms. If not, see ya.

He's matured for about 2months prior trying to get a new contract.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #12
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsk1 View Post
For a guy who hasn't necessarily been known as a team guy, more of a me guy on Atlanta and Oakland I don't think he demands top 10 money. If we sign him, hopefully it will be on our terms. If not, see ya.

He's matured for about 2months prior trying to get a new contract.
Great point. It's pretty easy to say the right things when you're looking for your second $50+ million dollar contract in as many years.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #13
MdBluefinCrab
Camp Scrub

You can't judge him on his play with the Raiders, I mean come on...the Raiders!
We need to sign him as I hope Springs is gone and if not, he's usually only good for 5 or 6 games so a solid CB is needed.
Signing Hall will only solidify our backfield (if Vinny can manage to keep Rogers) and with the acquisition of a stud defensive lineman, our defense could be lights out next season. With a solid defense, we can afford to have JC play yet again, another season of mediocre football while he still learns how to play the QB position.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:08 PM   #14
44ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Great point. It's pretty easy to say the right things when you're looking for your second $50+ million dollar contract in as many years.
agreed but. He backed it up with nice skills. Plus they're all saying the "right things" right now.

What do you think we should do with him GMScud?
Old 01-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #15
Dblock804
Special Teams

What bugs me is when he wore the free Mike Vick shirt on that Monday night game right after the trial. Coach quit and he was traded... I was thinking that he would not fit "the mold" of the current players we have.
Dblock804 is offline   Reply With Quote