Kidnapped California Girl Found 18 Years Later

Pretty amazing story

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2009/...sa-kidnap.html

Advertisements
Old 08-28-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Re: Kidnapped California Girl Found 18 Years Later

I heard this story on the news this morning. It is hard to imagine that this can happen in this country for that duration.........
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
dmek25
MVP

they ought to hang that guy by his nuts. that poor kid doesn't even know her real parents
Old 08-28-2009, 08:38 AM   #4
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I saw parts of this, sounds like she did remember most of her childhood, and she went to the police, not really "found". Very weird story, but as one article pointed out, what a great day for her parents! I can't imagine the whole grieving process of losing the child, hoping against hope, and then accepting the obvious conclusion. Only to have her come back into their lives, and in a span of life where they can truly re-connect.

Great ending.

I am sure the man and woman who took her will go to jail for the rest of their lives.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
MTK
\m/

She has two kids now and basically lived in a backyard for 18 years. She's uneducated as are the kids, and the kids have never seen a doctor. Man is this a perfect TV movie script or what? Crazy story.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #6
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
She has two kids now and basically lived in a backyard for 18 years. She's uneducated as are the kids, and the kids have never seen a doctor. Man is this a perfect TV movie script or what? Crazy story.
I completely misread a portion of that, I thought she had gone to the police herself, and didn't get the two kids were fathered by the man.
Good job to the detectives for tracking it all down and finding her.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Except she's probably a nut job now. That type of emotional neglect and mind f*ck will really mess you up. The poor girl and the kids have no concept of reality. It is going to be a long hard road back to "normal" for them. That stuff is worse than any physical or sexual abuse in my opinion. It's the abuse that keeps on giving.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
Miller101
Special Teams

That poor damn girl man! The best of years of her life were wasted by that lunatic! Living in a back yard for 18 years....................Does she even know who the Foo Fighters are? Nickleback? Cell phones? The Internet? Heck, does she even know the term "google it"? God, those people stole her life man! They should be executed!
"And the Redskins went down there and manhandled them and they basically undressed them and now everybody's been lining up to get a piece of them." - John Riggins on the last game we played in Texas Stadium
Miller101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
saden1
MVP

That guy deserves nothing less than eternal pain and suffering. Unbelievable.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #10
dmek25
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I completely misread a portion of that, I thought she had gone to the police herself, and didn't get the two kids were fathered by the man.
Good job to the detectives for tracking it all down and finding her.
read the article. he was summoned to the police for being on the Cal- Berkley campus with the kids, acting weirdly( imagine that?) he then brought the whole crew to the police station. and then admitted to what happened. the kid didnt say anything.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #11
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller101 View Post
That poor damn girl man! The best of years of her life were wasted by that lunatic! Living in a back yard for 18 years....................Does she even know who the Foo Fighters are? Nickleback? Cell phones? The Internet? Heck, does she even know the term "google it"? God, those people stole her life man! They should be executed!
Not knowing Nickleback would be the only good thing to come of this.

Seriously though, this story is F'ing nuts. It's right up there with that Austrian case with the family that was trapped in the basement from a year or two ago. Like that story, I hate to say it but this girl and the 2 kids she ended up having will never have a normal life.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
read the article. he was summoned to the police for being on the Cal- Berkley campus with the kids, acting weirdly( imagine that?) he then brought the whole crew to the police station. and then admitted to what happened. the kid didnt say anything.
Quote:
Tuesday, when Garrido tried to enter the University of California, Berkeley campus with the two girls to pass out religious leaflets.

A campus police officer found his interaction with the girls suspicious and investigated his background, ultimately alerting his parole officer.

During a visit with the parole officer, Garrido brought his wife, the two girls and a woman identified as "Allissa" -- who proved to be Dugard.
I don't see where he "admitted it" maybe in another article? also, I read it to mean the Parole Officer went to his house, but you may be right.

No matter what, good job to those who put it together and freed her and her kids
Old 08-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #13
KLHJ2
Inactive

I cannot believe this. I am in shock and am speechless.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #14
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
Not knowing Nickleback would be the only good thing to come of this.

Seriously though, this story is F'ing nuts. It's right up there with that Austrian case with the family that was trapped in the basement from a year or two ago. Like that story, I hate to say it but this girl and the 2 kids she ended up having will never have a normal life.
lol yeah seriously

It's gonna be a tough transition back to normal society that's for sure. Still, it's better than what she's been through I'm sure.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #15
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
It's gonna be a tough transition back to normal society that's for sure. Still, it's better than what she's been through I'm sure.
No doubt.

What really blows me away with this whole thing is that it was A MARRIED COUPLE that kidnapped her, set up "living accommodations" for her and her eventual children, and kept up this whole religious fanatic charade or whatever going for so long. I mean I can almost understand one F'ing psycho who goes to all this trouble to feed his own sick fantasies or whatever, but how does he find another person willing to go along with this?
Were they driving down the street one day putting together a grocery list and then all of a sudden one of them goes "hey honey, instead of going to the movies tonight we should kidnap a child and keep her in our backyard for as long as possible."