horrible story

The Associated Press: 'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog

Advertisements
Old 03-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Re: 'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog

That's too sad.

People have these dogs though, that are known killers, and it just blows me away.

And their dog had bitten someone else only 4 months earlier.....should have had it put down.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
That's too sad.

People have these dogs though, that are known killers, and it just blows me away.

And their dog had bitten someone else only 4 months earlier.....should have had it put down.
No way. It's not the dog's fault that it was raised improperly. At the very least, the owners' should have learned how to care for a powerful breed. If they felt they could not do that, they should have turned the dogs over to a Rottie rescue.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
MTK
\m/

If I had kids, I just wouldn't risk having them around dogs like that.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
If I had kids, I just wouldn't risk having them around dogs like that.
The dogs aren't the problem.

Raise them (the dogs just as much as the kids) properly and don't allow your kids to be around them unsupervised (which was the case in this situation).

We have two Rottweilers and do not hesitate to allow my niece and nephews (oldest of the lot being 4) to be around them. It is a great social activity for the dogs and the kids. When the kids do something that they shouldn't I correct them, and when the dogs do something they shouldn't I correct them.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

This is tough news. But they should have gotten rid of a dog. I love dogs, and I won't say breed X or breed Y should never be kept as pets. However, when aggressive tendencies start, especially against family members -- you have to get rid of the dog right away. I've seen dogs "snap" before. I've seen sweet dogs for no real reason turn into snarling beasts all the time. Often, it's a breed like a rotty, pit, etc.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
No way. It's not the dog's fault that it was raised improperly. At the very least, the owners' should have learned how to care for a powerful breed. If they felt they could not do that, they should have turned the dogs over to a Rottie rescue.
So you know the history of THIS dog and how its been cared for over its life?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
MTK
\m/

Quote:
The dogs aren't the problem.

Raise them (the dogs just as much as the kids) properly and don't allow your kids to be around them unsupervised (which was the case in this situation).

We have two Rottweilers and do not hesitate to allow my niece and nephews (oldest of the lot being 4) to be around them. It is a great social activity for the dogs and the kids. When the kids do something that they shouldn't I correct them, and when the dogs do something they shouldn't I correct them.
I know if the dog is raised correctly it shouldn't be an issue, still, I wouldn't risk it around a young child. That's just me. If there's even a .01% chance the dog could snap and hurt the child, I'm not risking it.

The main problem here definitely lies with the parents, no doubt.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
This is tough news. But they should have gotten rid of a dog. I love dogs, and I won't say breed X or breed Y should never be kept as pets. However, when aggressive tendencies start, especially against family members -- you have to get rid of the dog right away. I've seen dogs "snap" before. I've seen sweet dogs for no real reason turn into snarling beasts all the time. Often, it's a breed like a rotty, pit, etc.
It's obvious that these people had no clue about dog ownership, so yes they should have handed the dogs over to a rescue.

Dogs never snap. They give fair warning to when they're about to use force. As a responsible dog owner, it is up to you to recognize those warning and correct the dog well before the dog's behavior escalates.

There is always a reason. Dogs want to be happy, that is their nature.

Here's my pack...
Old 03-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #10
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

I agree with cpayne's argument. You can't blame the dog in some instances, but i dont think that is the point we are trying to make.

The point in this case is that this dog was already a problem, and had attacked before. Leaving a 4 year old around a known dangerous animal was not good either.

It's a sad death, and one that perhaps could have been avoided.

I know here in virginia, if a dog attacks a human to the point that the person is injured/requires treatment, then the dog is taken by the police. I am not 100% sure that they euthanize it right away, but i imagine they do.

I know this because my neighbor 2 houses down had one of his dogs attack a runner last summer. No charges were filed on him, but his dog was taken and put down by the animal control.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #11
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Cpayne, by snap I don't mean nice one second, mean the next. It's a complete change of mental makeup. They don't necessarily become super aggressive that second, but you notice that their personality is different and in general much more aggressive.

It's not common, but I've seen it happen to people that know a lot about dogs, and care for/love their dogs. Just like people, sometimes something happens.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #12
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I know if the dog is raised correctly it shouldn't be an issue, still, I wouldn't risk it around a young child. That's just me. If there's even a .01% chance the dog could snap and hurt the child, I'm not risking it.

The main problem here definitely lies with the parents, no doubt.
Raised and supervised properly, there is a 0% chance. If those two things don't exist, the chances, whatever they may be, are the same no matter the breed.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #13
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Cpayne, by snap I don't mean nice one second, mean the next. It's a complete change of mental makeup. They don't necessarily become super aggressive that second, but you notice that their personality is different and in general much more aggressive.

It's not common, but I've seen it happen to people that know a lot about dogs, and care for/love their dogs. Just like people, sometimes something happens.
Well, then over time the owner has allowed the dog to change its behavior and get away with it. Most of the time they write it off as "that's just Scruffy being cute", or "Scruffy is getting cranky as she ages", etc. It's an excuse and most of the time it reinforces the behavior (treats, petting, etc). Proper discipline would nip it in the bud.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Raised and supervised properly, there is a 0% chance. If those two things don't exist, the chances, whatever they may be, are the same no matter the breed.
Sorry your odds of 0% is not correct. The difference in atacks from dogs is that most people can fend off most other dogs but Pitts, Rotts, etc... by nature go for the kill. Why don't we ever hear of a Great Dane attacking and killing? I guess everyone who owns them are the good owners and keep their dogs under control.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #15
smootistheman

Quote:
It's obvious that these people had no clue about dog ownership, so yes they should have handed the dogs over to a rescue.

Dogs never snap. They give fair warning to when they're about to use force. As a responsible dog owner, it is up to you to recognize those warning and correct the dog well before the dog's behavior escalates.

There is always a reason. Dogs want to be happy, that is their nature.

Here's my pack...

Beautiful Pack cpayne5...And I agree with you on this. Dogs like children are a product of their environment and those people had no business leaving that child with that dog. What sad,sad news and a senseless loss.