Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Winslow Visit's Skin's

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-07-2004, 03:57 AM   #1
offiss

Winslow Visit's Skin's

Winslow jr. was at redskin's park yesterday, don't know much of what transpired, but he did sign with the poston's, and did so apparently against a lot of people's wishes, I think it was a stupid move on his part, as I said in another thread and the post point's out, his draft status could very well drop down costing him million's just because he signed with these guy's, the fact that he knew the poston's were last on our list of agent's to deal with, and he signed with them any way say's 1 of 2 thing's, either he doesn't really care to play for us, or he's that dumb to risk dropping in the draft and losing a lot of money, If we do deciede to draft him we better have a signed contract before we actually pick him, I personally would take a page out of jimmy johnson's play book and have 2 rep's. 1 by winslow, and the other by taylor, and see who is willing to sign first, with the loser taking a risk of dropping down and losing more money as well as the prestige of being a top 5 pick.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-07-2004, 05:05 AM   #2
RedskinPete
The Starter

I would say the Redskins will not draft Winslow now that he has picked Poston's as his agents! Unless he is signed before he is picked! I see a traded down or Taylor! Let the Poston's play with The Lions!!! We need no part of thier games!!! To bad I like Winslow but that is just to much to over come! So all you Taylor fans looks like you are going to get your wish!!! Hope it works out!!!
RedskinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 06:51 AM   #3
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I dont think we can sign a guy before he gets picked, can we? I thought it was just the #1 overall team that could sign a pick before the draft.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 07:49 AM   #4
skins009
Impact Rookie

You can't sign before you are picked unless you are the number 1 overall selection. I think this is a blessing. Now we can focus on a defensive player with our pick, which is what we really need.
skins009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 07:50 AM   #5
hank64
Camp Scrub

No, a lot of teams have signed players before they drafted them. The trick is to know who you want and make sure they are still there when you draft.
hank64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 07:53 AM   #6
hank64
Camp Scrub

Maybe the rules have changed, but I remdmber particularly the draft where the Bears took Mark Carrier at #7, they already had a deal in place for him.
hank64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 08:58 AM   #7
BrudLee
Playmaker

Many teams will set the framework for a deal with a player before the draft, but only the number 1 pick can sign first. Basically, the team says "If we select you at this spot, we will provide 'X'", and the player and agents agree. There is no guarantee the player will be picked, because no one knows for sure if the player will be available - unless you are the first pick, when everyone is available.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:00 AM   #8
MTK
\m/

With Winslow's signing with the Postons I think the chances of us taking him have dropped significantly.

I don't think they've completely ruled out taking him, but it's definitely going to be a huge factor in their decision making.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 11:01 AM   #9
dieselhog
Special Teams

The player can only actually sign if they are taken number one. However, the team and the player's agents are 100% free to agree the permameters of a deal prior to the draft if they so wish. This only happens rarely when a team is certain they will get their man as it is a complete waste of energy otherwise. Even with the basics of the deal thrashed out, nothing can be signed until the player is officially selected.
dieselhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 12:51 PM   #10
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

this either means we're drafting Taylor or with the list of the other 10 1st round-quality players coming to visit the team, we could very well be trading down. With it being said that if that comes about, the skins would be looking to draft a d-lineman and linebacker, who r the best available LB's(who can play in the middle)? I've only heard mention of Vilma and boulware. Plus anyone think it somewhat odd and maybe foretelling to the fate of smoot that D'Angelo Hall was invited for a team visit? It's not like cornerback is really a weak spot right now. I really like Smoot, especially the heart he puts into his effort on the field, but do you think there might be trade rumours about smoot popping up again like last year?
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 12:55 PM   #11
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru
this either means we're drafting Taylor or with the list of the other 10 1st round-quality players coming to visit the team, we could very well be trading down. With it being said that if that comes about, the skins would be looking to draft a d-lineman and linebacker, who r the best available LB's(who can play in the middle)? I've only heard mention of Vilma and boulware. Plus anyone think it somewhat odd and maybe foretelling to the fate of smoot that D'Angelo Hall was invited for a team visit? It's not like cornerback is really a weak spot right now. I really like Smoot, especially the heart he puts into his effort on the field, but do you think there might be trade rumours about smoot popping up again like last year?
Smoot had greater value last year, when it was widely assumed that Champ would get his deal, and he had two years before his contract expired. A contract year trade is difficult to get full value for a player, because there is no guarantee the player will be there next year unless the other team is willing to renegotiate.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:14 PM   #12
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

that's true BudLee, I just found it somewhat odd that we would have invited a first round prospect at the CB position when we already have plenty of depth at that position. It'd be similar if we invited Roy Williams, Larry Fitzgerald, and/or Mike Williams to visit the team. Why put the time into evaluating a player at a position you know you won't be drafting for? Just doesn't seem very productive unless there's a possibility of drafting said player. I'm not alone in this thinking am I?
Old 04-07-2004, 01:21 PM   #13
BrudLee
Playmaker

Though it's highly unlikely that we'll select any CB at #5, other teams must prepare themselves for that eventuality now. We may also trade down, which means that though Hall isn't an option at #5, he may be an option at #15. Besides, if the FO came out and said "It's going to be Taylor/Winslow/Udezi/Flabeetz", we'd be at the mercy of whoever's picking 1-4, by letting them force us to trade for their pick or lose our choice.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:36 PM   #14
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

I understand and I agree that it's highly unlikely that Hall would be our choice if we stay at 5 and that's not only for the needs of our team, but because he isn't worth that high of a pick. I do think we will trade down and thus the other prospects being brought in for private scouting sessions speak highly of what we might be looking to draft with our new picks. I also understand that it'd be foolish to come out and announce the players on your draft wishlist (like New England has done), but the thing I was trying to say is that the scouting time should be better spent evaluating players we know we might draft. If Hall is one of those players we r seriously looking at, doesn't that raise questions with anyone other than myself especially with the holes in other parts of the defense? And if Smoot is a player maybe on the block, I'm sure the team that wished to trade for him would have a new deal worked out before hand or in the process of being done kind of like what happened when we got Portis. We didn't have to sign him to a new contract but we did to show we traded for him to be with the team for an extended amount of time. I can't wait for this all to be sorted out on draft day cuz all of this speculating is starting to hurt my head. :frusty:
Old 04-07-2004, 01:59 PM   #15
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru
I can't wait for this all to be sorted out on draft day cuz all of this speculating is starting to hurt my head. :frusty:
Right there with you Skinsfan. Anybody got any aspirin??
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote