Camp Scrub

Skins sign Barrow

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7275138
skins93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-22-2004, 05:38 PM   #2
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I guess this is good news, but man what does Kevin Mitchell have to do to get a shot
Old 04-22-2004, 05:39 PM   #3
Jamaican'Skin
The Starter

I don't know, maybe it'll be a competition for MLB.
Jamaican'Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 05:40 PM   #4
offiss

I really like this pickup, I felt all along that Barrow was a perfect fit with us, talent wise and attitude, he's a play maker, and I think he still has a couple of year's left in the tank.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 05:50 PM   #5
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

He may have a couple of years left in the tank, but I am curious about the cost. The article said 8 mill in the first three years. Any hit has got to be backloaded to 2007. I would really like to see the contract. I guess I worry that the Skins cap managers seem to have "What me worry?" approach. I know we havent gotten bitten in the ass yet, and maybe we won't. But doesn't it sound like we overpaid for him? Especially since he will be 37 by the third year of his contract.

Don't get me wrong, I think he is a good enough 'backer but just not sure about the price.

Last edited by JoeRedskin; 04-22-2004 at 05:55 PM.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 06:27 PM   #6
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

hes a Cane, he'll do great for us Our linebackingn core is definitly very good right now. No weaknesses. That will help out our front four a lot. Mabye one more pick up on the dline and our fifth draft choice, I think we should be set next year.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:01 PM   #7
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

it's a million or 2 a year atleast less than trotter isn't it? and barrow actually has some coverage skills. plus if he's a decently priced upgrade over a slow lb like mitchell in a system requiring lbs with some degree of speed, how can this be bad? anyone know how much we could save if we release mitchell cuz i'd rather be working in a young backup who could replace barrow when he retires?
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:14 PM   #8
hi-jinx
Special Teams

So you thik we can get Trotter into a trade or are we going to get stuck dropping him on June 1st and taking the Cap hit?
hi-jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:16 PM   #9
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

I hope we can use him in a package to get some picks on satruday. It will have to be as a package, teams know he will be cut now, expecially since we have Barrow.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:22 PM   #10
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

I think we needed a MLB, and I just don't think Mitchell can hold up all year long. I hope the contract is not too nasty, but given that we still need work on the D line, we couldn't let the MLB be a really weak link. It's a good pickup.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:23 PM   #11
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-jinx
So you thik we can get Trotter into a trade or are we going to get stuck dropping him on June 1st and taking the Cap hit?
Cutting or trading him, we get the cap hit. Actually,a post June 1 cut spreads the hit over this year and '05
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:57 PM   #12
PSUskinsfan11
Impact Rookie

Let's run a 3-4 with L.A. Barrow Mitchell Washington as backers and then wynn/daniels move griffin to d-end, trade the 2nd round pick next year and trotter to the texans or jags and take Wilfork with that pick and but him in the middle and get taylor with our pick. Our D will be half Hurricanes but its cool cause we might have the best D in the league. Just a thought.....
PSUskinsfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:58 PM   #13
joecrisp
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru
anyone know how much we could save if we release mitchell cuz i'd rather be working in a young backup who could replace barrow when he retires?
Mitchell was signed to a 1-year vet minimum contract ($760,000 salary, $25,000 bonus) this offseason, so releasing him would produce $735,000 in cap room. I don't think he'll be a cap cut option. They'll let him play this year, keeping him for quality depth, and unleash the young fellas next year. I don't think they're ready to part with both Trotter AND Mitchell, leaving Clifton Smith as the lone legit MLB option behind Barrow.
joecrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:30 PM   #14
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

From what I hear, the Skins are trying VERY hard to use Trotter in a deal that gets a pick this year. Not a lot of interest yet.

I know that this will not make "smootsmack" happy, but once again, Fred Smoot is a commodity that other teams are interested in and the Skins are willing to listen to offers for him. I suspect that they would want a bigger price for Smoot than anyone will offer, but they have not taken his name off the table categorically. I heard that the Skins were offered a "late 1st round pick" this year for Smoot. That would give the Skins the #5 pick and a pick somewhere between 20 and 32 this year. Frankly, I would not make the deal.

People here have speculated about what Rod Gardner might bring in a trade. I heard that one team was offered the "opportunity" to trade for Gardner and their offer was a "conditional 6th round pick in 2005" meaning that if Gardner did not meet certain milestones in 04, the Skins would get a 7th rounder and not a 6th rounder. His name came off the table quickly.

Someone wondered what Mitchell had to do to get a shot. I think he needs to get about one or two steps faster. That's not easy to do...

IMHO of course...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:50 PM   #15
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon
I know that this will not make "smootsmack" happy, but once again, Fred Smoot is a commodity that other teams are interested in and the Skins are willing to listen to offers for him.
Be gone with your vile lies and rumors!...yeah I'm aware that Smoot is a sought after commodity. It would suck to lose him but I suppose I should be glad that my favorite player is good enough to draw interest from other teams...Ade Jimoh Fan Club I'm looking in your direction