Franchise Quarterbacks

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-29-2009, 09:21 AM   #31
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Franchise Quarterbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughtydoubter View Post
You know who i like seiously as a potential qb draft pick?
Jake Locker.
Maybe in 2011

Advertisements
Old 12-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #32
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

So far all I have heard of is the draft becoming more valuable and free agency not meaning as much...That gives me the impression that a team could get themselves a good QB through the draft every 5 or 6 years instead of turning to free agency to fill holes...
Old 12-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #33
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

I keep on hearing that Shannahan likes Bradford if thats true then I say take him. Coach was able to get Cutler an 88 passer rating in his rookie year. Combine that with Bruce Allens love of drafting O-Lineman and we could end up with a potential franchise QB and 2 or 3 solid line prospects. Something Vinny neglected to do, which is interesting because he loved stacking up at virtually every other position during the draft.

I know I said this before but down in Atlanta a lot of people were upset when the team selected Matt Ryan instead of Glen Dorsey. Those same people are now walking around with Matt Ryan jerseys singing the praises of Matty Ice.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #34
Son Of Man
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
I keep on hearing that Shannahan likes Bradford if thats true then I say take him. Coach was able to get Cutler an 88 passer rating in his rookie year. Combine that with Bruce Allens love of drafting O-Lineman and we could end up with a potential franchise QB and 2 or 3 solid line prospects. Something Vinny neglected to do, which is interesting because he loved stacking up at virtually every other position during the draft.

I know I said this before but down in Atlanta a lot of people were upset when the team selected Matt Ryan instead of Glen Dorsey. Those same people are now walking around with Matt Ryan jerseys singing the praises of Matty Ice.
Correct! Same thing happened in Philly when they took McNabb instead of Ricky Williams!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:41 PM   #35
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Reality View Post
The consistency is that each quarterback on this list was either A) drafted by a franchise who had a strong track record of team building and B) was in most cases given time to learn the trade before playing.

My point here is that franchise quarterbacks aren't drafted; they are cultivated. To get from point-A to point-B, a team needs to bring a talented quarterback into a situation where they are given the opportunity to learn a system and surrounded with blue chip talent. Under these conditions, talented quarterbacks can become "franchise quarterbacks."
Dude great post.
I agree 100%.

I a 'franchise QB' first requires a competent franchise.
Imo its nearly impossible to have a 'franchise QB' for a bad franchise.
I think the reason why some QBs 'bust' is because their franchises didn't know how or couldn't build a good enough team around them to be successful and instead of admiting this and changing as a franchise they change QBs. Then rinse wash repeat.
Sometimes the QBs they cast off go somewhere else and have success.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:59 PM   #36
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post

The rise of Ryan and Flacco instead of the Leinharts and Harringtons for the past decade or so have me worried about us taking one of the "Magic Four" QBs this season. The last college QB studs that lived up to there billing were Peyton and Aikman. Bradford is a gamble to say the least. One good pop from say Andre Ware and Mr Bradford will become a major bust for us ala Schuler. Too many quality QBs coming out this year with good yardage, completion %, and TD/INT ratios to just focus on Tebow, Clausen, Bradford, or McCoy. A partial list as follows:

Comp Attempts TD INT Yardage
Pike 184 293 26 6 2350
Stull 192 297 21 8 2470
Brown 270 417 19 8 3575
Kafka 272 414 12 7 2898
Lefevour 285 401 27 6 3043
Elliot 267 433 22 13 3025

There are a few more seniors that I need to get data for such as Canfield from Oregon ST, Todd from Auburn, and several others that might be around for round 2 or even 3. Look for Mallet to be the hot QB in the 2011 or 2012 draft. THe kid is hot!!!!!! In 2011 or even next draft if they declare early Dalton of TCU or Keenum of Houston might be worth a look. Lots of potential QB studs out there in the next few years.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote